NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.

I have saved a fillable form with a .doc file extension in

Customer Question

I have saved a fillable form with a .doc file extension in Google Drive. My client is able to view the form and enter data into the form, but is unable to save the form without renaming it. I have Windows 7 and Word 2010. He has Windows XP and an older version of Word. Is the problem incompatible versions of software or should I use a different file extension?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Viet -MS Office Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I will assist,

I'm sorry about the issue. Does it happen to one client or all clients?

Has the client tried to download/save the .doc file to a folder on his/her computer first, then open it from that folder, then fill out and save?

Can you please provide me the link to the form, so I can check?

Please let me know. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Only one client.

This file is saved in Google Drive...the whole point is that he shouldn't have to save the file somewhere else...he can view it immediately and should be able to edit it just as if I were doing it.

Sorry, when you share that file from google drive..., did you set the option for that client/email address as "Can view", or "Can edit", or "Is owner", etc.?

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. I set up a folder for open service requests that I shared with him and allowed him to edit. Then all the new service requests are filed in that folder...all shared with him.

When you use google drive (and not save the doc to the computer), it does not use microsoft word at all; it uses the good document program online. When he renames it, does it appear on your google drive also?

Can add the .doc file to his (google) drive first, then edit from his drive?

If that does not work:

Can you check that particular .doc file and make sure it is shared with him and set to "Can edit"? Can you unshare/re-share that .doc for his email address?

Which browser is he using? Can he/she try another browser, such as google chrome or mozilla firefox?

Thank you
Also, does he have a gmail email address?

If you have another email address, can you test sharing and allow edit, and see if it works?

Please let me know. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not feel that my question was answered or that the expert fully understands my question. I have other things I have to do now and cannot continue this conversation. I do not want to ask another question. What do I do to get my "deposit" returned?

I'm sorry, troubleshooting takes back & forth.

Would you like me keep this question open, so we can continue whenever you have time?

And/or if you'd like me to transfer this issue to other Professionals, I can do that also.

Don't worry, we guarantee our service. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You can transfer it someone else, but I still can't do more with it tonight...how can I pick this up later?

I'm transferring this issue to other Professionals per your request. You can get back via this web page any time, and/or check your email for message from JustAnswer.

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

Can you give me a link to a test area on your drive, with the same settings as your client and I can see what is happening?

Thank you