cyball83
cyball83, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I have been in this industry for more that 7 years.i do mainly installing,configuring & troubleshooting Microsoft Office

Just purchased Outlook 2010 (w/MS Office Prof.) Thought I

Just purchased Outlook 2010 (w/MS Office Prof.) Thought I could download emails to Outlook and work on them offline, so I deleted them from my email account. When I went back to Outlook to work on them, it had deleted them as well. Is there a way to keep this from happening?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  cyball83 replied 1 year ago.

John :

Hello and Welcome to Just answer. My name isXXXXX will be assisting you today I will try my best to help you

John :

Sir thank you for requesting me

Which email services is configured in the outlook just let me know the part after @ in your email id for example @ yahoo .com

Customer:

AOL is configured in Outlook.

Customer:

Forgot to mention in the original question that I verified all the emails in my AOL account had downloaded into Outlook before I went back and deleted them from AOL.

cyball83 :

I wasn't online when you replied i apologize for that

cyball83 :

Sir do you know in which AOL configuration the outlook is configured is it IMAP or POP ?
If its in IMAP then this problem can occur

cyball83 :

To check that open outlook then click on file tab then click on account settings then click on add or remove accounts or change existing connections settings.now you will get account settings window in that you can find the account type of the AOL account you have configured in outlook 2010.Please check it and let me know

cyball83 :

can up please check whether its a IMAP or POP account in outlook

cyball83 :

sorry for the typing mistake its you not "up"

cyball83 :

if you want me to remote access to your PC and check it for you i can do that too please let me know

Customer:

It is on IMAP/SMTP. Should I change it to POP?

cyball83 :

yes but can you change it to POP from the current settings

cyball83 :

please check it

cyball83 :

usually you need to add a new pop account.please check whether you can change it to POP from current settings and let me know

Customer:

It looks like I need to add a new POP account, it doesn't let me change it.

cyball83 :

I thought so do you want me to remote access to PC and change it for you.

You can see what all I am doing in the PC. Let me know so that I can give you the link to do that

cyball83 :

i mean add not change

Customer:

I clicked on "Add New Account" and put in name, email address, passwrd, etc. At the bottom, it gives an option for configuring server settings and add'l server types. Should I add POP there. I am on a different PC from the one that has Outlook on it and am accesing the web from this one.

cyball83 :

OH OK then one moment i will give you detailed instructions

Customer:

Thank you. I was having trouble accessing the web on the PC with Outlook on it. So I guess I'll need to get your instructions on this one and then go to the other one to follow them!

cyball83 :

You are welcome one moment please

cyball83 :

From the account settings window then click on email tab then click on new then you will get add account window in that select on manual setup or additional server types then click on next then select POP or IMAP then click on next then fill out your name,email address,user name (enter full email address including @ aol .com).
Now select account type as POP3.Then incoming mail server as pop.aol.com
Then outgoing mail server as smtp.aol.com
Then click on more settings then click on Outgoing server select use My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication under that select use the same settings as my incoming mail server
Now click Advanced tab then type 995 in Incoming server (POP3) then select this server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)
Then type outgoing server (SMTP) as 587 then in Use the following type of encrypted connection select TLS in it
Note :- Remember to check the option to Leave messages on the server
Then click on ok then click on test account settings and it will send test message
Once the emails are downloaded in the outlook uisng POP.Then you can again go to account settings and make the pop aol mail as default email and you can remove the IMAP AOL mail

cyball83 :

Please do the above steps and please let me know the status

Customer:

I got everything down to "use the following type of encrypted connection"

cyball83 :

ok is there any problem in doing that step?

Customer:

I got all of it done down to the "use the following type of encrypted connection" That one does not show up. Don't see an option for "leave messages on the server." It does say "test account settings". Then next it says "deliver to new or existing Outlook Data File.

cyball83 :

its because you haven't click on more settings

Customer:

Oh, guess I'd better do that!

cyball83 :

ok please do so and do the rest of the steps

Customer:

When I clicked on more settings, I got an error message "log on to email server POP3' Cannot find the server"

cyball83 :

make sure you typed the name,email address,user name (enter full email address including @ aol .com) , password XXXXX correct

Customer:

All of those are correct. Then there' "Incoming Mail Server - SMTP.AOL.COM"

Customer:

Then there is "Outgoing Server SMTP 587"

cyball83 :

that incoming email is incorrect

Customer:

Uh Oh I see that now. Let me try again

cyball83 :

please check my instructions from the beginning and do it carefully and correctly

cyball83 :

OK .double check with my instructions

Customer:

OK. I have done all of the above and double checked with your instructions. Everything worked fine, except I can't send a test message. My internet connection (Mi-Fi hotspot) is connected to this PC and the Outlook is on the other. I can disconnect from this one (& temporarily lose the connection) and connect on the other, then get back to you. Will that work OK?

cyball83 :

sure please go on and check it

Customer:

OK. Be back shortly.

cyball83 :

Then let me know the status

cyball83 :

OK i will wait

cyball83 :

did you check it ?

Customer:

Tried the test message twice. Both times, got an error message "the operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving (POP) server". If you continue to receive this message, contact your internet service provider". I was able to access the internet to do this, so I'm wondring if it is a problem with AOL.

cyball83 :

Its seems like that.did you make sure the settings are correct with the settings i gave

cyball83 :

Also you can remove that created AOL pop account and create a new one again and check it

Customer:

OK. Will do. Should I also remove the AOL account I had in Outlook to start with? (Before I contacted you)? It has some email messages in it from today.

cyball83 :

No need to remove that now.remove the one you created now before that make sure the outlook is working online.

Customer:

I removed the one created from your instructions. Accessed the internet on the other PC, opened Outlook and downloaded today's email. I know now that I can't delete those messages from AOL until I've finished working on them in Outlook, even though that is what I would like to do.

Customer:

Any further instructions?

cyball83 :

you mean you have downloaded them on the new pop aol account am i correct

Customer:

No, I dowloaded them on the old account. I deleted the new account per your instructions. Am back to where I started.

cyball83 :

you didn't check my previous message i told to remove the pop one you created then re-create a new pop using the same instructions i gave from beginning then check it

Customer:

I did re-create a new pop using the same instructions, before I tested the old Outlook account by dowloading the messages. Got the same results from creating a new account the 2nd time as in the first. Somehow it seems like AOL may not be set up as POP. Is there a way I can change that. Outlook automatically configured everything when I installed it and set ip up as IMAP.

cyball83 :

OH OK let me check that

Customer:

I tried to change the existing AOL acct. in Outlook to POP from IMAP, before adding a new acct. AOL may have themselves set up as IMAP

cyball83 :

usually aol is set to work in either imap or pop.give me a moment so that i can test it in my system

Customer:

OK

cyball83 :

Thank you

cyball83 :

well it works on either IMAP or POP.can you close outlook and open control panel then click on mail then click on email accounts then remove all aol accounts then create a new pop aol account

cyball83 :

if you cannot delete it then create a new profile and then create a new pop aol account using the settings i gave before

Customer:

I'll try it, but I only have one aol account and it has lots of email messages in it that I haven't been able to read yet. I would have to delete them and then it would delete them all in Outlook too, which is the problem I'm trying to get fixed. I will try to create a new email account with AOL and then add it to Outlook as a POP. I have to leave for a little while, but will leave all this open and get back to you when I have completed that. Thanks for all your patience.

cyball83 :

i do not want you to create a new AOL account.

cyball83 :

i want you to remove all the aol accounts created in outlook to do that open control panel then click on mail then click on email accounts then remove all aol accounts then create a new pop AOL account.if you cannot delete the IMAP account you created in outlook then create a new profile to do that close outlook and copen control panel then click on mail then click on show profiles then click on the current profile its showing then click on remove then click on add then create a new profile then create a new pop aol account in that profile using the settings i gave before.Then check it and let me know

cyball83 :

Sorry to say that i have to leave now because it late night over here so please do the above and let me know the status.I am sure that you can do it
Thanking you

Customer:

John,

Customer:

I only had one email account and had no problem removing it from Outlook completely. After that, I tried once again to add a new AOL account to Outlook following your instructions above. Everything worked fine until I attempted to send a test message. Then got the same error message as the other times. So I deleted that one. Then I added another new one and let Outlook automatically configure it as I had when I first installed Outlook. This time I went in and looked at all the configuration. Everything is the same as the way you had me do it, except it made the acct. type and Incoming Server IMAP again. I ran the test and it worked. It appears that Outlook will only work with AOL as an IMAP. Do you have any recommendation for a different email that will work as POP and will allow me to delete emails from an online acct without deleting from Outlook?

Customer:

Thanks again for all your patience. Unfortunately I am back where I started.

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hi there my name is XXXXX XXXXX X will continue to work on this issue with you.

Perhaps I can clarify this issue before we go down the rabbit hole again to try to get your AOL email setup as a POP address. The preference these days is to keep your account in IMAP configuration, this is due to the nature that we check out email accounts in multiple places these days on different devices and IMAP allows you to synchronize your email over all devices. If you delete a message on your phone, it is deleted on your webmail, your outlook client, etc. This is not a bad thing, this is a good thing (imagine if you had to try to remember what device had the email that you deleted and had to go to a certain computer at your Aunt's house or somewhere where the email was still in a local trash folder). See what I'm getting at? IMAP will propagate your delete but to a unified trash folder that you can access from all your configured devices. This will let you move it back to the inbox from all devices, and back to your original intention, allow you to save a draft of an email in progress to your draft folder which will be accessible to all devices. Save on your computer to the IMAP draft, continue to edit it on your iPhone, etc. This you cannot do with POP and it will fragment your mailboxes. Big picture? I think you are configured optimally now and should just realize that when you delete a message, it will synchronize that delete everywhere, but that this is actually a good thing.

Hope that offers some perspective and enlightenment that getting POP set up is not a great idea,

Let me know if that helps,

Expert:  cyball83 replied 1 year ago.
Sorry sir i was away from my system when you replied.I never did want you to create a new aol account what i mentioned you to do is delete both the IMAP & POP AOL email configuration from outlook and create a fresh POP AOL email (Not to create a new AOL email account) .i believe you didn't notice that in my above replies.have you tried creating a new profile in outlook then configure a POP aol email in that profile?
To the last question you asked almost all the emails providers have the ability to use either IMAP or POP and my suggestion is gmail because in the settings of Gmail settings you can manually select which email settings (IMAP or POP) you want to run in the email client like outlook.if you want more details about it please let me know.

Thanking You
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did not create a new aol account online. I had tried three times to configure my EXISTING aol account as a POP acct. in Outlook per your instructions. After the third time, I removed the IMAP configuration and the AOL profile from Outlook and then created a new AOL POP acct. in Outlook as you described. It still would not let me send a test message. So I removed that one from OUTLOOK and added a new one and let Outlook automatically configure it. Went back an looked at the configuration and it had once again configured it as IMAP. This version of Outlook does not seem to work with AOL acct. configured as POP.

I had a Gmail acct. but got rid of it a couple years ago because of Google's tracking and snooping. I stopped using Google altogether. Not that happy with AOL anymore either. I recently set up an email account at Reagan.com, but haven't tried using it in Outlook because it is somewhat cumbersome to use anyhow.

Expert:  cyball83 replied 1 year ago.
Sir can you manage to open this coversation page in the PC where you want to configure AOL in outlook if you can do that i can screen share to that PC and check the problem with outlook and AOL.if you can do that please let me know so that i can give you the screen share link

The new Gmail is easy to use and i have been using it since 2006 so far it is a good email service also the spam rate is less compared to other email services.Hotmail/outlook mail is also a good email service.Gmail/Google do not spy or snoop into your email.i am not forcing you to take a new gmail account just explaining it that's all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I am now on the PC where Outlook is located.

For some reason, I was having trouble yesterday using the Mi-Fi with it so I moved the Mi-Fi over to the old machine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The conversation is open on the PC where Outlook is located.

Was having trouble using the Mi-Fi with it yesterday for some reason, so I moved it over to the old machine. May have problems with it again.

Expert:  cyball83 replied 1 year ago.
Please open internet explorer then copy or type this web address http://tinyurl.com/m9ouzbe (There is no space in-between the web address) and paste this web link to the address bar of Internet explorer then press enter.

Then you will get a disclaimer please click on i agree. Then you get an application installation window in that click on Run. Then you will get another window in that click on join session. That will let me access your pc and check the problem. If you have any difficulty in connecting disable antivirus/firewall and try again also try the method it shows on screen connect window. Let me know once it’s connected. If you have any trouble connecting please let me know

Expert:  cyball83 replied 1 year ago.

The problem has been solved so please rate my answer so that I will get credited for the services i have provided to you. Some Bonus will be well appreciated. Rating options are just below this chat box select the rating and click on submit that will do it. Have a Great God Blessed Day. If you need any help in the future please use this link to ask for me http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-john/

cyball83, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: I have been in this industry for more that 7 years.i do mainly installing,configuring & troubleshooting Microsoft Office