Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years

Have 45 titles, would like to populate in excel (one title

Have 45 titles, would like to populate in excel (one title per cell) and have a random (1-45) pulled, need to repeat 100 times. Can this be built into a 2010 macro?
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.

Are you referring about movie titles? Also, you will enter the titles manually, one per cell. Then in a different sheet or part of the worksheet, these titles will be randomly shown 100 times? Is this correct?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Titles refer to date location of biological field surveys. Need random selection for 1 of 45 surveys, repeated 100 times. To develop accounting and projection of number of surveys to replicate redundancy in species richness observed. i.e. some surveys may see 5, 7, or 10 species. I need a tool to randomly select the species list to develop this projected curve.

Only tool I need is a macro to randomly pick a cell (title) from a given number of cells (i.e. A1 - A45), and repeat the process 100 times while displaying all picks in the order they were generated.

Thank you for writing back. One more clarification, please. When you randomize the selection among the 45 titles, the results will be displayed at once. Is this right?

For instance, you can click a button and 100 cells will be filled with randomly generated picks from the 45 titles at once. Is this correct?

Let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can display after completing the 100 calculations, with showing all 100 answers in sequence they were chosen.

Thank you John for that confirmation. I will now create a dummy file with that random functionality to fit your requirement.

Please give me some time to complete the Excel file. I will get back with you with the completed Excel file.

One moment please.

Best regards,

Thank you for patiently waiting. After few tries, I came up with a sample Excel file containing a macro to do the tasks you desired.

The logic here is that you need to enter the master list with a sequence numbers 1 - 45. Then opposite it, enter the corresponding titles. This will serve as a master list since the new random list will be derived in this master list.

What we can randomize are numbers only. So we use the RANDBETWEEN function to randomize the numbers between 1 to 45.

The results of course will be numbers within the range. We need to perform the randbetween function for the 100 cell that you want to list the random 100 titles.

Now, we will pair the randomized number (100 of them randomly between 1 to 45) with the corresponding title in the master list using the VLOOKUP function.

Here is my sample file, download link below:

Please note that the file is a Macro-Enabled file, XLSM. That means that the file contains a macro. However, the only code in the macro is the function "list_title" which will only "Calculate" the range A2:B101 in the Random_List sheet when the button is clicked. The randbetween function will trigger after every "calculate" command.

NOTES: The master list can be in the same worksheet, the file is a sample file so you can just change the references of the cells.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) once you have all the
information you need. Tips are always highly appreciated! Cool

If you have any other questions, please ask me or reply to me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Jess,

Works great. After I sent my last message checking on the status, the board refreshed showing that you finished the calculator.

Really appreciate it,

Hi John,

Thank you for writing back. I am glad that the Excel file I gave you worked for your randomization requirement. It is always my joy and privilege to help you.

If you have concerns in the future, you can request my assistance. Or you can post a question "For jessmagz" so that I can assist you immediately!

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if it helped. Tips are always highly appreciated! Cool

Thank you!

Best regards,
Hi John,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,