NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.

can excel divide a group of golf scores (divisable by 4) into

Customer Question

can excel divide a group of golf scores (divisable by 4) into groups of four with the total scores per group being as equal as possible
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

To clarify, you want to divide a score by 4 then make it a whole number eg: 4.7 becomes 5

Is this correct?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

take 77,88,79,100,76,79,89,67 divide these scores into two groups of four so that the total score per group is as equal as possible, do this with as many as 48 scores, groups of 4.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
You can do this, but you would do it via programming in Excel, not a formula.

Are the scores always a total that is a division of 4?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no, the scores are not always div. by 4, in this case there r just 2 teams of four members, but would like to use as many as 12-4 man teams, hope i understood your ?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
So it can be any sequence amount of numbers

eg 34, 65, 23, 65,

or 45, 65, 23, 56, 24, 77,88,79,100,76,79,89,67

4 or 13 in the above.

And in this instance, from the 13, we have 3 sets of 4 plus 1.

Do you then just drop the remaining on?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

100+82+77+72=331 99+88+76+70=333 would like to take the 8 scores in this example, use a formula to divide the 8 into 2-4 man groups as i have done with total scores as close as possible ala 331 to 333 need formula to do this with as many as 48 scores

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, I am not sure how this would be accomplished in Excel sorry.

I will opt out for another expert that may have a better idea.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank u for trying

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Your very welcome
Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I’m Rachel, and I’m moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from another one of the professionals?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Taxes, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,