Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Expert with over 10 years experience.

Outlook 2007 has suddenly stopped working about years. Any

Customer Question

Outlook 2007 has suddenly stopped working about years. Any solutions?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble.

Are you unable to find the program at all OR are you able to find it but when you try to open it , it will not open?

When exactly did this issue start?

Please let me know so I can further assist.

Thank You
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I still have the icon, but it will not open and I get the same message that "Microsoft Office will not open" over and over again.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you and when did this problem start?

Also can you try the following for me and let me know what happens,

click on your start button and in the search box type outlook /safe and press enter and let me know if it opens.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

problem started about month ago. yes I will try the outlook/safe

Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
You have not been able to open for a whole month?

Ok click start and type outlook /safe and press enter. Make sure you include the space between outlook and /safe
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That is correct, I have not been able to open for a whole month, I have been using iphone and ipad instead

I will NOW retype with space in there

Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
Ok let me know what happens when you tried outlook /safe please
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It tried to open, but received the same message that it has stopped working

Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.

Ok , do you have other office programs such as word and are those able to open?

Also do you have your office installation CD?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do have work and excel and those are continuing to work properly.

I will have to look for the installation CD and that will take me a while. How long do I have to reply back to you?

Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
I would like to offer you a remote support session where I could connect to your computer and see if I can fix this for you.

Would you like to try that?
Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
I will be going offline for the night soon so I wanted to leave you with some things to try, but if they don't work we can set up a time for me to remote into your computer and try to fix this for you.

You either have a problem with your outlook program itself OR the problem is with your outlook profile which holds you email.

Please do the following.

First try a system restore to before the problem started , this will not affect your files such as pictures or documents and emails but it could affect programs you installed in the last month if any.

Essentially what it will do is take the computer back a month before you started having the problem.

Open System Restore by clicking the Start button and browse to

All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore

Follow the steps in the wizard to choose a restore point that is before when the problem started. If you only see one restore point make sure you choose to show more restore points on the bottom left of the box.

If that does not resolve the issue or you do not have any restore points that are before the problem started try the following.

Click the Start button, and then click Control Panel.

Click User Accounts, and then click Mail.

Click Show Profiles.

Click Add.

Type a name for the profile, and then click OK.

Now try and open outlook, if it gives you the option of which profile to choose , choose the new one.

If it opens it means you have a corrupt profile so do the following.

Click start and choose computer next double click C: and open Program Files next open Microsoft Office next open OfficeXX and double click the file scanpst.exe

After scanpst opens, click Browse and browse to the location of the PST. Or paste the following line in the File name field and click Open. This will open the default PST location in the file browser. %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Select your PST from the list (most people will have just one) click Open, then Start to begin testing the PST

When ScanPST is finished running the tests, a dialog reports the errors found. If you need to repair the PST, always make a backup.

Please send me a message and let me know how it goes and I can help you further tomorrow evening if you need me to.

Thank you,