Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years

I was working on a spreadsheet today, hit ctrl H by mistake

I was working on a spreadsheet today, hit ctrl H by mistake and my spreadsheet disappeared. Do you know how to get it back?
Hi, thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today. Are you using Windows XP, Vista or 7? Also, are you using MS Excel 2007 or 2010?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately, I did this on my computer at work and I'm home now. I believe that it's MS Excel 2007. I don't know which Windows.

Hi Kim,

Thank you for writing back with that information. Ctrl+H in MS Excel is for "Search and Replace". I wonder if that is the key combination you pressed to make the spreadsheet disappear.

Anyhow, are you saying that the Excel file was "saved" and that a worksheet that you were working on was gone? How about the other worksheets like Sheet 2, Sheet 3 and others? Are they still intact?

Best regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jess,

When I try to open the file I just get a blank Excel screen. I e-mailed the file to myself from work. When I preview the file, I see it. But when I try to open it, I see nothing. I just tried to save the file so that I could attach it to this response and send it to you but I can't save the file. Can I forward the e-mail to you somehow?

I am sorry but we cannot share email addresses here since it is against website policy. Though you can send the email [email protected], the moderators may take some time to forward it to me.

You said you CAN open the file but the sheet is blank but you can see it when you preview. Are you referring to "Print Preview"?

I just hope that you can save a copy of the problem file and send it to me through uploading it to a sharing site.

You can upload it to and give me the 6-digit File ID or download link. You can also upload your file to and then give me the download link. That is the fastest way that you can share a file to me.

Best regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I uploaded the file. It gave me the following link: 13.xls

It also gave me the option to download the file. Do I also need to download it or can you just go to this link and get it?

I downloaded the file. Give me a minute to check it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, Jess! Hopefully, you'll be able to tell me how to get it back to normal.

I was having trouble opening it though. Can you please tell me if you are using Excel 97, 2007 or 2010? The file extension is XLS, a version of Excel 97.

I was able to open it though after some tweaking. I will now SAVE AS the file with XLSX extension and send it to you. Let me see then if you can open it normally.

One moment please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm pretty sure that we have Excel 2010 at work because it has the newer way of doing things.

I'm looking forward to getting the fixed file back from you! :)

The main reason for the problem is that the workbook contains links to other data sources. This can be another excel file in the computer where this workbook was created. Because of this external link, when you open the Excel file, it will first attempt to fetch the data in that linked data source or Excel file.

Here is the error message that you might get there since you are not using original computer where the file was created or stored:

Click on Update. You will then get another pop up like this:

When you are using a different computer, click on Continue so that the link will still be saved and it will work on the original computer where this Excel file is stored. Otherwise, you can remove the link by clicking on Edit Links then click on Break Links button.

Here is the corrected Excel file: 13_REV1.xls

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) once you have all the
information you need.

If you have any other questions, please ask me or reply to me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you!

Best regards,