The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Experience:  20 years experience providing remote computer support

I need help! Id like a formula that checks the field in column

I need help! I'd like a formula that checks the field in column A for all those instances that match, and then --for matching rows-- adds up the numerical string that appears in column E.

I haven't got much Excel experience.
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to answer your question

try something like this

=SUMIF(A:A,"Value you want to match",E:E)

the value you want to match must be in quotes.

If you need any modifications to the formula please let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks! Quick question. This would mean I would have to do the formula for each value I want to match. Is that true?

Ideally, it would just find and combine all those rows that match. Is that too much to ask of Excel, or is it possible?

well you would have to do a formula for each value you wanted to match, and it would match all of those values, in the column.

for example if the column had 5 instances of the word "baseball" it would add all of those numbers. If you wanted to look for a different value say "basketball", it would add all of the instances of that one. You can also refer to another cell in the formula.

Here is an example sheet that shows it both ways.