Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

Excel programming

Customer Question

I want to create an excel spreadsheet that produces what I've created in the attached file.  Problem is, each month, the user will enter a new value for electrical and fuel oil consumption and I want to drop off the oldest value (the 25th month), modify the curves with the new value and without the 25th month.  The yellow cells are user input, everything else is to be locked.  The print area is set so they can just print the new charts each month.  They will not have access to the "calculation" tab, so it can be hidden.

Attachment: 2013-06-03_070552_monitor_spreadsheet.xlsx

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 1 year ago.

BeBoo :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is Brandon and I would be glad to assist you with your issue today. Please note that I am in eastern time (UTC -5:00) and am generally online between the hours of 10 AM and 4 PM and some evenings between 7 PM and 11 PM.

BeBoo :

So that I understand, you want to take the values from the yellow fields, create a new row on the Calculations tab, remove row 6 and shift up, correct?

JACUSTOMER-4d25zjhp- :

Yes, while maintaining the current 24 months on the 2 charts. Also, take the text from Calculations tab F2 and drop it into the top chart title and from L2 into the bottom chart title. btw, I'm in Alaska, so 4 hours behind you...how's the weather?

BeBoo :

Was hot the past few days, now rainy.

BeBoo :

I assume you wish all of this to take place when a button is pressed, correct?

JACUSTOMER-4d25zjhp- :

not sure what you mean by "a button is pressed", do you mean you'd add a "submit" button or something like that? If so, I hadn't thought of that, but yes, exactly - its got to be for someone who has no knowledge of excel; if you have other thought like that I'd definitely like to hear them. Let me give you the background: I'm an energy engineer, working in small, remote Native Alaskan Villages (no roads, fly in or boat in), typically of 75-400 people. I help them reduce energy consumption ($9.00/gallon for fuel oil, $1.00/kWh for electricity!); one of the ways to do that is to monitor the building's energy consumption. They do not have internet access to their public buildings and no ability to automatically upload to one of the standard dashboards that meet this need in the lower 48. So, I want to create a very simple way for them to enter each month's consumption (push a button) and see the trend. If the trend changes, then they go find out why and fix it.

JACUSTOMER-4d25zjhp- :

Having said this, some formatting would be great - so it looks more like a web-based dashboard...and I'd be happy to pay for that. Any thoughts?

JACUSTOMER-4d25zjhp- :

Are you still working this?

Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another professional to assist you right away. I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Lindie
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am still waiting.

Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.

Lindie
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's 3:30am where I am (Alaska), have to turn in for the night, will check my email when I wake up. Thanks.

Expert:  SteveCaliendo replied 1 year ago.

I will do this for you and have something for you to look at shortly.

Best Regards,

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm back online, will be until 7:00 pm EST

When the user enters the new month and data, would you like to archive the 25th month somewhere or just delete it permanently?

Also, do you want it be smart enough so that the user doesn't have to enter the month and year, and just have those cells default to the next possible month that could be entered?

Best Regards,

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Steve - No need to archive the 25th month. Regarding the year, I think it's best that we keep the requirement to add the year because when they initially input data (the first 24 months) a year will be required...not sure how to require it the first time, but not subequently...so lets keep it simple.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Steve - are you still working on this? I still need a solution...

Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm Rachel, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Best,

Rachel

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm OK waiting a day or two longer, as long as someone's doing something...is this question too difficult for your folks? The first guy, Beboo seemed to have it solved, but then he dropped off the face of the earth...can you give me some visibility as to what's actually going on?

Also, can you address the issue that my credit card was charged for this question and it we never resolved one way or the other?

Thanks.

Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
Rachel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

any progress on this?

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is Jess and I will try to help you with this. But I need to know exactly your requirements so that I can assess if I can make or or even suggest a better approach.

The file you shared has a Calculations tab. It has a cycle of 24 months there. And you want this cycle to be fixed, right? What I meant by fixed is that the data to be collected is for a 24-month cycle. Right?

Now, this data in the Calculations tab will be the basis for graphs. Is this correct? So you want to ensure that when the user enters 03/12 there, the data for electrical and fuel will be entered to the right cells automatically and to be reflected in the graph. Is this correct?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jess - 1) yes, I want the graph to always have the most recent 24 months, so each month when new data is added, the old 24 th month drops off.
2) yes, these 24 data points for electric consumption and fuel oil consumption become the blue line on the graph which will always show a trailing 24 months.
3) the red line is the result of a trailing 12 month total, so only shows up on the graph for the last 12 months
4) the user will only input 3 pieces of data each month: ectricL consumption, oil consumption and the date.

Hope this helps. I'm in remote Alaska, no cell or Internet until Friday PM.

Thanks
Jim

PS I'm happy to pay you more than the $34 if you can do this for me.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for writing back. This is a complex and tricky task. Please give me some time to work on this. I need to try various options and see what I can come up with based on your description.

I will keep you posted.

Regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jess.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome... working on this now... will keep you posted. No need to reply to this message.

jess