maomd
maomd, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Fifteen years plus providing efficient computer solutions, no matter how small or large.
31474244

Does MS Word have a maximum document size, either in pages

Does MS Word have a maximum document size, either in pages or file size?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  maomd replied 1 year ago.

maomd :

Hell and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be your expert today.

maomd :

Can you tell me what version of MS Word that you have?

Customer:

2007

maomd :

There is a limit, but it is 512MB. I don't believe there is a page limit, but I will double check for you.

maomd :

Are you saving the documents as a .doc or a .docx?

Customer:

Let me check... I think docx.

maomd :

Okay, I ask because doc has a few more restrictions then docx, but in either case there is no limit on how many pages you may have.

maomd :

Word 2007/Word 2010 limits

Operating parameterLimit
Maximum number of bookmarks2,147,483,647
(Style Definition) maximum number of styles4,079
Maximum number of comments2,147,483,647
Maximum number of fields2,147,483,647
Number of subdocuments in a master document255
Maximum number of moves2,147,483,647
(Range Permission) maximum number allowed2,147,483,647
Size of file Word can open512 MB
Maximum number of records to display in recipients list dialog10000

NoteThe 10000 maximum is for the recipients' list dialog. If you search in that dialog, you are limited to the displayed records even if your data source has more records. The workaround is to filter the records so that those that you are looking for will fit in the dialog or to use the Find operation in the wizard task pane.

Word 2007/Word 2010 in compatibility mode limits

Operating parameterLimit
Maximum number of bookmarks16,380
Maximum number of comments16,380
Maximum number of fields2,147,483,647
Maximum number of moves32,752
(Range Permission) maximum number allowed32,752
Size of file Word can open512 MB
Customer:

Then what would make Word crash with a file size of 367Mb?

maomd :

I doubt you're hitting any of those limits, so I suspect you may have a memory issue. Do you know how much RAM memory you have in your computer?

Customer:

9Gb of Ram

maomd :

If you hit the above limits, yes, but it would be very difficult to reach those limits.

maomd :

Not gonna be a Ram issue then.

maomd :

Did you get an error message when trying to open or save the document?

Customer:

No.

maomd :

This good be a bandwidth issue with your hard drive, but that's more common in laptops. Can you recall how old your computer is, or specifically, how old your hard drive is?

Customer:

2010

maomd :

Are you using Windows 7?

Customer:

Yes

maomd :

Okay, I would like to troubleshoot this a bit further to help determine if this is a hard drive issue.

maomd :

On that computer, please press CTRL-SHIFT-ESC together to open the Task Manager.

Customer:

Ok

maomd :

Once opened, click on the Performance tab and then click on the Resource Monitor at the bottom.

maomd :

Once that is opened, click on the Disk tab.

maomd :

Under Storage you should see your hard drive listed and the column Disk Queue Length.

maomd :

If it's above a 1, your hard drive has more requests than what it can handle. 1-2 is normal, 3 is high.

maomd :

Try to open your Word document and watch the queue length. Let me know how high it goes.

Customer:

Occasionally off the top.

maomd :

There should be a number with it too.

Customer:

It looks like 0.01 to 0.05

maomd :

And that's happening when you open Word?

Customer:

The Que length remains about the same.

maomd :

Okay, so probably not the hard drive then. You can go ahead and close that window.

Customer:

Ok

Customer:

One more piece of info that may be pertainent. My file has 200 or so tables and 800+ imbedded jpg files.

maomd :

That is quite a lot and I've seen Word choke on documents this size before, but never fail to open.

Customer:

Again, what happens is as I try to save the file after adding another table and 3 or 4 jpgs Word chokes and won't complete the save and leaves a file that it can't open because it is corrupted.

maomd :

Are you running any VBA macros on this document?

Customer:

No.

maomd :

Looking deeper into Word's limitations, I'm curious to know how large your document is without the images. Microsoft supports documents up to 512MB with images, but can not support more than 32MB worth of text. I'm thinking that the tables and pages, without the images, is approximately 32MB and the reason why you can't add any more.

Customer:

I'm not sure how many Mb the text is but I know that it is approaching 90,000 words.

maomd :

Please standby while I research this theory.

maomd :

Okay, I have another test I would like to try.

Customer:

Ok

maomd :

Please download and install 7-zip if you do not have a similar zip program already installed.

maomd :

Once installed, make a copy of your docx, right click the copy, and Open Archive under the 7-zip option.

maomd :

You should have three directories listed: docProps, word, and _rels. word should be the largest of the three.

maomd :

Open word directory and let me know how large media is and document.xml.

Customer:

Ok working on it.

maomd :

Ok

Customer:

I'm Running out of available time Maomd. How large can the document.xml file be before there's trouble?

maomd :

Your text is stored in the document.xml file and will be the largest, outside of the media folder. However, the limit is based on all of the XML files and when added should not be more than 32MB (33,554,432 bytes.)

maomd :

If you are close to the 32MB limit, you will not be able to save the document.

maomd :

If this isn't the case then you can come back here at anytime for a follow-up at no additional charge, even after you rate my service today.

Customer:

Ok, I'll check that out. Thank you for your time and effot. This is a knotty problem that I will have to solve some other way perhaps using a different piece of software.

maomd, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Fifteen years plus providing efficient computer solutions, no matter how small or large.