Erik B.
Erik B., Consultant
Experience:  Well versed in several editions of Microsoft Office.
18224842

Please help. I cannot create a microsoft office document imaging

Customer Question

Please help. I cannot create a microsoft office document imaging printer on my computer.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer. My name is Erik and I will be happy to assist you.

Can you tell me which version of Windows you are using (XP, Vista, Windows 7) and which version of Office you have (2003, 2007, 2010, 2013)? Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have microsoft office 2007. I have windows 7 professional.

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Debbie! OK there are numerous possible fixes for this issue; since you have been searching the Internet you may have tried one or more of these. I will start by giving you the simplest fix and you should try that first (unless you have already tried it, in which case let me know). If it doesn't work we will move on to the next fix.

1. Make sure all Office programs are completely closed.
  2. Hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and press the R key to open the Run window.
  3. Type appwiz.cpl and click OK to open the Programs and Features window.
  4. Highlight your Microsoft Office 2007 entry and click the Change button.
  5. In the window that pops up, choose to Add/Remove Features and click Next.
  6. In the list that appears, expand Office Tools.
  7. Under that, look for Microsoft Office Document Imaging. Click on it and choose Not Available.
  8. Click Update or Next.
  9. After the process completes, perform these steps again, but this time when you click on Microsoft Office Document Imaging choose Run From My Computer.

Let me know if that doesn't bring the printer back. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Erik

I never had the printer to start on this computer - only another computer I work on at work.

The program is fine and is opening but there is no printer to the program - even after I tried what you said.

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
Ah I see. OK so we know that Microsoft Office Document Imaging (MODI) is installed correctly, it just doesn't have a printer. You can see other printers, correct? Just not the MODI printer?

If that is the case, please try this:

1. Click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories.
  2. Right click the Command Prompt icon and choose Run as Administrator.
  3. In the black box that appears, type cscript c:\windows\system32\prnmngr.vbs -a -p "Microsoft Office Document Imaging Writer" -m "Microsoft Office Document Image Writer Driver" -r "Microsoft Document Imaging Writer Port:"
  4. After typing all that, hit the Enter key.
  5. Now click the Start button again, and click on Printers and Faxes.
  6. You should now see the imaging printer. Right click it and choose Printer Properties.
  7. In the resulting window, click the Advanced tab.
  8. Click the Print Processor button.
  9. Select ModiPrint and then select RAW.
  10. Click OK to save.

The printer should now be there and work correctly. Let me know if not! Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried but it came back with there is no file extension for .vbs-a-p etc

Are there perhaps spaces?

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
Yes I am sorry there are spaces. I will retype the command below with spaces outlined:

cscript[space]c:\windows\system32\prnmngr.vbs[space]-a[space]-p[space]"Microsoft[space]Office[space]Document[space]Imaging [space]Writer"[space]-m[space]"Microsoft[space]Office[space]Document[space]Image[space]Writer[space]Driver" [space]-r[space]"Microsoft[space]Document[space]Imaging[space]Writer[space]Port:"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried twice and it says cannot find script file "c:\windows\system32\prnmngr.vbs"

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
It looks like you might be typing PMMNGR.VBS, the actual script it PRNMNGR.vbs...does that work? That may just be a formatting issue on my side...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I am using prnmngr.vbs and it still comes up with that same message :(

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
Ah I should have asked you to check this first, didn't think of it until just now:

1. Click the Start button.
  2. Right click the word Computer and choose Properties.
  3. In the window that opens, looks for the operating system type. Does it say 32 or 64 bit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

64

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
Darn that's our problem. The MODI printer will not install on 64 bit versions of Vista and Windows 7, only 32 bit. MS basically stopped supporting MODI after Office 2007, so they never got around to adding 64 bit support.

There are a couple of options here:

1. You can print to the XPS printer (Microsoft recommended). This doesn't result in a TIF file but an XPS file instead.
  2. You can print to the Fax printer. If you do this, make sure the click on the Print to File checkbox and add the .TIF extension to the file name.
  3. You can print to PDF. There are a ton of free PDF printers out there (like www.cutepdf.com) and they all make great PDFs.

Let me know if you want more information on one of those options. Sorry to lead you down the rabbit hole a little bit; I should have asked about the operating system type right away. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok thanks. At least now I know that it isnt possible. I will try the XPS printer tomorrow. Hopefully the document it creates can be opened by the program. Thanks

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
Good luck, XPS is not as friendly as the TIF format, but hopefully it will work. Thank you again and enjoy the rest of the weekend.