Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues

Mouse is pulsating hourglass

Mouse is pulsating hourglass
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

Can you please provide a little more detail on the problem?/

What are you doing when it occurs?

Which version of Windows do you have?

When did this problem begin?

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Whenever I am using Word 2010, the mouse is a pulsating hourglass instead of it's normal arrow. The pulsating hourglass works as if it was a mouse arrow. I have Windows 7, 64 bit. The problem began about one week ago.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ernest,

This is usually a symptom of an issue within the registry of Word.

I would first like you to reset this please.

To do this, please go to the below link

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822005

Go down the page and click the second Fix It for Windows 7.

Run it and when complete, restart the computer and check if you still have the problem.

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have spent several hours all over the Internet trying to find answer to solve my problem. You fixed it quickly and without any effort on my part. Great service. Thanks.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome Ernest.

If you need anything else, please let me know.

And please remember to rate my service.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, the problem with the pulsating hourglass returned shortly after it appeared it was fixed by our suggestion.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX indicates an issue in windows.

Can you please do the following

Download CC Cleaner (free) from here

CC Cleaner

(Click Download Latest Version on the top right)

Run it and let it scan and repair your registry.

Once done, restart the computer

Than

Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /f

Press enter.

It will complain the Volume is in use and to run on restart. Say YES and restart the computer

Than

Click Start, type in MSCONFIG and press enter.

Click on the Startup Tab and click Disable All.

Click on the Services Tab and click "Hide All Microsoft Services"

Then click Disable All

Click ok, restart and let me know if it then starts please

Then reset Word again via this link

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822005

Restart the computer and test.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That suggestion took care of the problem. Good service and I appreciate it.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome Ernest.

It was actually a data corruption in Windows causing this which we resolved.

Thank you
Richard, Software Specialist
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry again, but the problem with the pulsating hourglass showed back up on Word 2010 tonight. I believe it may have something to do with my Canon MX870 Printer.

Tonight when I tried to print something the pulsating started. I have checked the printer and driver with Canon tool and no problem according to the tool. Advise

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ernest

Are you able to reinstall the printer on the computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's fixed again. The problem was because of my Canon MX870 printer.

Somehow, the printer settings got changes and I reset them through printer properties and that did the trick. Thanks again for your good service.