Jason
Jason, Computer Technician
Experience:  Over 10 years work experience.
30759776

In Excel 2010 - Would like to sum a row of numbers - say 1,

Customer Question

In Excel 2010 - Would like to sum a row of numbers - say 1, 2, 3, >4 and get >10

Then multiply the cell with >10 by say 20 to get >200.

Is that possible?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Jason :

Hello and thank you for your question today. My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.

Jason :

Anything is possible with Excel.

Jason :

In order to sum the row and multiply it by 20, you would use the following formula:
=SUM(A1:ZZ1)*20

Jason :

That would sum the A row and multiply it by 20.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, agreed if it was just a set of numbers but you certainly won't get paid for such a simplistic answer.

The trick is to be able to cope with the > (greater than) sign - that is what I can seem to work out & will pay for - see my example.

DL

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Okay.

You did not specify that it would have the greater than sign. I assumed that the use of the > sign was an error on your part.

So, there will always be an > sign in the row?

Please, give me 3 examples of what you are looking for.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, the > is the sticking point - otherwise I would need an expert!!

refer to the original question - you will see there are two greater than signs - hardly a typo twice.

Examples in addition to the one already provided are

6, 12, >14, 34, >250, 12 when summed = >328

9, 37, >34, 18 when summed = >98

What I'm looking for is a similar Function in Excel to the ABS command - it will ignore sign (+/-) of a number when it is used in formulas.

Just need a Function that ignores the > and then if present puts it back at the end.

DL

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

In this case, you will need a vba function written.

Can you give me more information on how you wish to implement this?

Will this function always look in the same row or will it be different?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it will be applied to a number of columns in the same row.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the update David.

It did require a routine to be written.

Here is the example document that I have to show you:
http://wikisend.com/download/326236/SumOfRowGreaterThan.xlsm

After you open the document, be sure to enable Macros.

When you press the button, it will sum the first row as you described.

You can edit the Macro by clicking the Developer tab, clicking Visual Basic, then double clicking the Module that it is in.

If you have any questions, please, let me know.