Pete, Computer Expert
Experience:  MS Office expert

How do you sort the following by the dates listed in Word 2010 and 201

Customer Question

How do you sort the following by the dates listed in Word 2010 and 2013?

Patient was injured on 02/13/03 when he slipped on the second floor and injured his right leg. He had a bruise on his calf. Dr. Smith recommended sedentary work. The patient was injured during his employment with Disney World.

Patient fell at work. Neurovascularly intact with some right calf pain. Discharged without any permanent disability.

X-ray of the left knee, interpreted as negative.

Patient complained of posterior neck pain and discomfort. Advised to see a specialst.
11/12/2009: PR-2. Complaints of posterior neck discomfort, right and left arm pain and pain with deep breathing. Advised to undergo a dental evaluation. Patient still had a lot of arm and chest pain.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer,
I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

Word will not recognize the dates as dates when sorting by paragraph, so it will sort them as if they were paragraph numbers, reading them from left to right.

The only way to sort this information by date is to either put the year first, then month, then day (e.g. 2009/11/12), or use a table.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Incomplete answer. So if I type 2009/11/12 then what do I do to sort the entire document? That is my main question.

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
If you change the dates you can then sort by choosing Paragraph and number.
However the easiest way to sort this type of data is in a table and sort by row, not paragraph.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I cannot use a table, as this is a document. I stated that in my original question. I just executed your instructions to sort by paragraph and number, and it sorted all the numbers at the bottom of the document.

Your answer did not work. Please refund my money, as you guarantee satisfaction.