Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues

I cant sync Notes on my iPhone 4 with Outlook 2010 on my desktop

I can't sync Notes on my iPhone 4 with Outlook 2010 on my desktop computer.

When I add a note to the Notes app on my iPhone, the phone sends the note to my email address (I'm not sure why). When I use iTunes on my desktop computer to backup/sync the iPhone, it confirms syncing Notes (the option to sync with Outlook is checked under iTunes: Info). But when I view the Notes in Outlook it only contains notes from 2011 or older, and seems to ignore any notes since then. How can I get this to work (on the iPhone: Settings: iCloud Notes is set to OFF)?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

Notes to Outlook is never smooth on the iPhone, to clarify though, did it previously work for you?

Please let me know

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It must have worked 2-3 years ago as the older notes are backed up on Outlook.

On the iPhone: Settings: Notes I changed the Default account to "on my iPhone" instead of "Gmail". Now new notes are no longer emailed to me. Also new notes are backed up on Outlook when I sync using iTunes. But the notes from the last 2-3 years still do not backup/sync with Outlook. Might this have something to do with the 3 Accounts on the iPhone Notes app (all notes, gmail, from my PC)?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, as you were synching the notes to Gmail Robert, that is why it stopped.

I think you had it on Gmail which was the problem, are the new notes coming into Outlook now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. But how can I get the notes that have not yet backed up to sync with Outlook?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
These notes where the ones sent to Gmail correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Probably, yes.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, you cannot anymore then if they Did go to Gmail.

They did have a tool to synch the notes from Gmail to Outlook (which would then synch to the iPhone) but they have disabled and removed this Tool Robert.

Your initial problem was you were synching not to the iPhone as such, but to the Gmail Notes. this is why they do not synch (as they technically do not exist on the iPhone but in Gmail).

Just make sure to not have it synch to Gmail and you are ok for avoiding this in the future.

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It appears that if I copy and repaste older notes as a new note, then the new note will backup to Outlook.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, as these are going to the phone and note Gmail, but to transfer them over, as oppose to copy and pasting you cannot.

You just need to copy and repaste them as the phone is now set up correctly.

Richard, Software Specialist
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues