Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues

Hi, I have a corrupt word 2010 file. I cant open it and get

Customer Question

Hi, I have a corrupt word 2010 file. I can't open it and get the following error message, 'file xxx cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents', clicking ok gives you the option to open and repair, clicking 'yes' just takes me back to the original error message. any ideas?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

This is an issue when the document never closed correctly Ed, and results in a serious problem within the document, stopping it from opening.

There is a chance it can be repaired and it is best if I can attempt this with the tools I have please.

- Click the following link:
- Upload the file to that website
- Once it is uploaded, the resulting page will display a "File ID" number.
- Please, give me that "File ID Number"
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Richard, file uploaded, id is 158252. have tried the usual but looks like its pretty damaged.. i must have pulled the external drive out when it was saving.. arh. this is my dissertation due in a couple of weeks. any help would be much appreciated. thanks Ed

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Ed,

Not even a chance to recover it. Nothing would even start on it.

I reviewed the file data and it is really corrupted, even an export to text does not get anything meaningful out of it.

It appears a save did not complete properly and this resulted in a lot of the content dissapearing. It also has document structure missing, and without a working file, it is not possible to rebuild.

This is always the Risk in Word, and why I always strongly advise to Save AS regularly and create multiple version.

I am really sorry Ed, I know this is important, and if it could be recovered I would have been able to (I do this all day) but this document is not recoverable. The larger the file (this is quite a large work document) the less the chance of recovery.

I really hope you can recover from this some how (possible you emailed it once in the past?) but this file is not going to be of use.

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thanks Richard. would there be any way of recovering it via the hard drive itself, are multiple copies saved over time behind the scenes? long shot i know!

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
did you save different files, or you kept overwriting the same file when saving?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

kept overwriting!

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Sorry that is not possible Ed, no file is recoverable in versions when you overwrite it sorry.

I am really sorry about this..

Feel free to ask if you would like more information please.

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, thanks Richard. I appreciate your responses. all the best. Ed

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Your welcome Ed,

this is always the risk with the Office programs, especially when the files get large.

If you need anything else, please let me know.

and if you can please remember to rate my service, that is very much appreciated.

Thank you