Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

My Outlook 2010 often stalls on sending e-mails. Everything

My Outlook 2010 often stalls on sending e-mails. Everything else works fine but e-mails will sit in the Outbox for minutes and hours until I exit Outlook and restart it once or twice. Sometimes I must reboot. It will say something like "sending 5 of 6" when I don't have that many e-mails in the Outbox. Most of the time it works fine. I have all the updates, removed the add-ins, reduced the mailbox size, etc, etc as recomended in various forums. Running on XP.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

This can be an issue with your PST file and I would first like you to do the following please.

Click the File tab on the Ribbon, and then click the Info tab on the menu.
Click the Accounts Settings tab, and then click on Accounts Settings again
Click the Data Files tab.
Click to select your Personal folder, and then click Settings.
On the General tab, click Compact Now.
Click OK, and then click Close.

Restart Outlook, try to send and Let me know the results please

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did the compact (I was wondering where they hid it in Outlook 2010) but I don't think that is the answer. Just now it took one minute to send a 2KB e-mail. My ISP is wireless. A speed test said ping at 28 ms, upload 0.4 Mbps, download 2.8 Mbps. What bugs me is that sometimes an e-mail goes in a second, sometimes takes several minutes, and sometimes not until I reboot.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, then I want to ensure there is no corruption on the Mailbox Ian.

Can you do the following please.

Go to where you compacted and note the location of your PST file.

Then close outlook.

Click Start, Computer

Than Organise (Top), Folder and Search Options

Click View

Click Show Hidden Files, Folders and drives

Untick Hide Extensions for known file types

And uncheck Hide Protected Operating System Files

Click ok.

Then search for the file ScanPST and run this program.

Perform a Scan of your PST (that we initially noted) and let it scan and repair.

Once done, restart the computer and tell me if you are still having the same problem please.

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The ScanPST found and fixed 24 errors but a 2 KB e-mail got stuck in the outbox. After restart of Outlook stuck "sending 5 of 5". One more restart and the one e-mail in the outbox was sent in a flash.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ian.

My apologies for the delay in responding, there have been some website problems.

If the errors were repaired, it should now be ok.

If you still have an email stuck in the outbox, disconnect internet to the computer and then open Outlook and delete it.

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Richard, Software Specialist
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues