Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I HAVE AN EXCEL SHEET i WANT A FORMULA THAT SAYS EG: IF CELL

Customer Question

I HAVE AN EXCEL SHEET i WANT A FORMULA THAT SAYS EG: IF CELL C9 = CELL C8 (CONTENTS ARE TEXT) THEN COPY F8 TO F9 IF NOT DO NOTHING ???
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Then you use this

=if(C9=C8,F8,"")

It will work, but it has to be in F8 (the formula)

Unless you use VBA code, you cannot make another cell = something else from a different cell.

So you put the formula in F9 and it will display the contents of F8 if C9=C8

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks but I think I tried that. To be clearer:Formula for Cell F9: If contents of cell C9 = contents of cell C8, then copy contents of cell F8 to F9, if not, dont change contents of cell F9. Does that make sense.

Hey you guys are GOOD!! What a great service.

Waiting ... Melb, Aust

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, but it needs to be a Macro, not a Formula for Copy Commands

I did it here as an example.

Download it using this address

http://wikisend.com/download/417482/JA.xlsm

Click the button to run it and to view the code, press ALT+F11 and double click on Sheet 1 in the new window.

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

didnt understand that at all, didnt understand the download, can you please be clearer

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Go to this address and download the example I made for you

Download the file like you download any file from the internet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yep did that, how do I put that macro in an excel cell??? Do I type in this below to Cell F9? Then how do I run it? We are dummies out here, not experts, you need to explain specifically. Thanks

If Range("C9") = Range ("C8") Then Range ("F9") = Range ("F8") Else Range ("F9") = "" End If

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It is easier Owen if I do it to your sheet as it is coding, it is going to have a degree of complexity to it.

- Click the following link: http://www.wikisend.com
- Upload the file to that website
- Once it is uploaded, the resulting page will display a "File ID" number.
- Please, give me that "File ID Number"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Terrific Richie, done, it is 527322 Codings May 7.

Column C has a series Customer codes in, repeated a number of times: EG K083, 36, K013.....the top row has - in most cases - an entry in Column F. eg K083 has none, 36 has a B, K013 has a D, A484 has a D....

I simple want to cc the entry eg in F8 to F9 & F10 so all Col C Cust code lines have that B in Col F.

Then copy the formula/macro down the 2754 rows so each Col. C cust code has the same Col F entry in each of its 2 or 3 or 4 rows.

Clear as mud??

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok... basically the formula I first stated

this is done in the sheet, download and review it here please

http://wikisend.com/download/806682/CODINGS MAY 7 2013-1.xlsx

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I already replied - that formula
=IF(C9=C8,F8,F9) when inserted in cell F9 returns 0 instead of the correct letter C..... I triesd cc it to Cell F12, it again gave a value of 0 not the letter D..... Still not right it seems
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Owen,

It works, look at C9 and C8, click in them, make sure there are no spaces, and it will show F8 when they equal a,d nothing if they do not.

You changed my formula, it is

=IF(C9=C8,F8,"")
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well Richie I dont get it, just wont work for me, a waste of my money, goodnight

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Owen, please as I have put a lot of effort into this.

It does work, just download my file, put the same values in the two cells and you see it working.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate that but I cant get it to work. Why in your sheet you sent back, did you put the formula up in cell D1 ilo correctly into F9? Its weird, in D2 it gives the correct result for cell E18, but if I set it up in F9 - WONT WORK !!!!!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I dont think you are looking at my file, it is in F9, not D2 whihch is empty

Please download and look again

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Richie! This is what I downloaded – I downloaded & saved as Codings…-2…. the formula you put is in D1!! F9 is EMPTY. What is going wrong here?

Sorry, it’s a stupid site, sends me round in circles.

Mate I downloaded it three times. On my download believe me, your formulas is sitting up in D1. When I write the formula up in F9 it returns 0. It seems to work in other cells like E18, I don’t get it.

Pls one more time – do it again, save the spreadsheet as CODINGS-10, send it to me with the formula correctly in F9, referring to C8, C9, F8, F9 & I will try one last time to see if it returns value C as it should.

Thanks for your effort but something is haywire, Im not that silly.

I give up, going to bed, not happy, will look at the sheet Codings-10 in the morning, thanks

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I am confused as it is 100% there

But type it in F9 yourself Owen

=IF(C9=C8,F8,"")

Put that in F9, then enter in values in C9 and C8 as the same and you see it work.

Let me know if you have any difficulties please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is a weird one. I dont thjink your formula works. eg if you cc it down, when it gets to a different entry in Col F, eg a D..., and the Col C condition is not equal, it will override the D with a blank. But in such cases I want the cell entry left unchanged as D - so the cc of theformula to the cell below will then run the D's down until the next time the Col condition changes. I have emailed youy that sheet again, pls study it, run it & see if it can produce the same as the bottom half!!

I dont want to give up but I HAVE to solve this problem tonite. I have emailed you separately with a spreadsheet that clearly explains it. Cant you just email this spreadsheet back with a formula in col F & G that can be cc'd down & does what I want as explained in lower half of my sheet?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Owen,

This is what I was explaining about the Macro.

So you want to change Cell contents from outside of the actual Cell correct?

That needs to be done via a Macro.

But can you upload the sheet to www.wikisend.com

I will do it with the Macro for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok I just emailed it to you, I will also upload it ... here's hoping

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, please give me the File ID when you have uploaded it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yep ... file 470160. Richie I really appreciate your efforts, pity we cant do this face to face, Im happy - once we do fix it - to pay you double or whatever for your time. But it has to work!!!

Owen

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Owen,

Look in C5, as I have been mentioning you have lots of Blank Spaces.

Click in C5 and delete all the blank spaces.

You will see the, Click once in C5, then Double Click.

Delete and retype in 36

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Owen? Did you get my last message?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

NO ...... If you cc that formula in F5 down, it now works for F6 & F7 ( fixed the blanks, thanks) - but when it hits F8 where the content changes ( AND C8 code changes ), it stuffs up - it overrides the D with a B! & gives a circular ref warning.

It should just return the entry D... then cc further down, D's down to F15 then a series of F ... so that formula does not do the job.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It is made for what you described.

Now, what do you want the formula to do?

It checks on this formula as you requested. If you move it you need to update the formula.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry Richie you just didnt even carefully read what I wanted, & it just doesnt work, so the service is ok but the result is no good. I thought I made it very clear what I wanted. But you have not addressed what I wanted at all, so I give up, I have gone elsewhere. Try what yo usaid yourself! As soon as it gets down a few columns, it produces a wrong resulyt.

Why cant you uunderstand what I want? I sent you a mini spreadsaheet with original PLUS what I want formula to do. Just LOOK at my example! Your formula DOES NOT produce the same. So forget it.

"

"But type it in F9 yourself Owen

=IF(C9=C8,F8,"")

Let me know if you have any difficulties please"

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Owen,

This is what you wanted

"WANT A FORMULA THAT SAYS EG: IF CELL C9 = CELL C8 (CONTENTS ARE TEXT) THEN COPY F8 TO F9 IF NOT DO NOTHING "

This is the formula.

=if(C9=C8,F8,"")

When you copy it down, you need to adjust it as so, as you are using values in preceeding rows.