Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

hello, I would like in a specific spreasdsheet , make sure

hello, I would like in a specific spreasdsheet , make sure that a specific macro runs if a cell , say a1 in the spreadsheet=1. I have seen a similar question being asked in the forum but I cannot get it to work for me. Thanks for your help...
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

Can you please tell me which version of Excel you are using?

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

excel 2007 is the excel version I am using

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Than you Olie

these are the steps you need to do (also make sure you have saved your Excel sheet as a Macro Enabled Sheet .xlsm)

1) Click on the Developer tab.

2) Click on the Visual Basic icon.

3) On the left pane window, double-click the sheet where you need your code to run.

4) Now, at the top of the code window you will see (General) with a drop down, and (Declarations) with a drop down.

5) Click the drop down by (General) and select Worksheet.

6) Now in the code window you will see Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)

7) Remove the word "Selection". You want to remove "Selection" because that means when you click on a cell in the worksheet something will happen.

8) So it will look like below when A1 has data entered.

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

If Target.Address = "$A$1" Then

Call MyMacro

End If

End Sub

9) Meaning, when you change the value in D10, the worksheet change event will "Call" (run) your Macro

that is all you will need to do. If you have done this and still have problems, please let me know so I can assist you further.

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your quick answer. I will follow your indications.

Just to be sure that I expressed my question correctly, what I need is to call and run a specific macro if and only if the value in a specific spreadsheet cell, say a1=1.

There will always be a value in A1 because the value in A1 will be a streaming price (from reuters) and I only want the macro to run if the value in A1 equals 1. Any other value for A1 should not run the macro. Tks for your help!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, in your Macro, you say

if range("A1") = 1 then

your code

end if

This will do it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Richie,

After I have created the code below, supposed to write "game over" in cell c13 if cell a1=1 but it does not seem to work. Did I forget something or did I mistype anything?

Tks for for your help

Olie

====

If Target.Address = "$A$1" Then

Call mymacro

End If

End Sub

Sub mymacro()

If Range("A1") = 1 Then

Range("C13").Select

ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "game over !"

Range("C13").Select

'your code

End If

End Sub

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
use this Olie

If Range("A1") = 1 Then

Range("C13") = "Game Over"

End if

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Richie. Here is the code I have now but still no reaction triggering the macro to run when a value is entered in A1, it seems.

Can I send you the spreadsheet. I think the problem is simple and easy for you but I am missing something very basic, I think...sry

If Target.Address = "$A$1" Then

Call mymacro

End If

End Sub

Sub mymacro()

If Range("A1") = 1 Then

Range("C13") = "Game Over"

End If

End Sub

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, I can look at the spreadsheet

- Click the following link: http://www.wikisend.com
- Upload the file to that website
- Once it is uploaded, the resulting page will display a "File ID" number.
- Please, give me that "File ID Number"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Here it Richie. Thanks for looking into it.

http://wikisend.com/download/744734/oda23_richie.xltm

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The problem is the code is in a Module.

Cut and move this code.

If Target.Address = "$A$1" Then

Call mymacro

End If

End Sub

To Sheet 1 in the Visual Code window (Double Click on Sheet 1 and paste it in). It then works.

If you have any difficulties at all, please do not hesitate to let me know so I can assist you further

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yahoooo!!!! it works. Tks vm for your help. I will now close the question and rate you with a big smile.

Thanks again

Olie

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Olie :)

you need to run it in the actual sheet, so the event is caught, this was the problem.

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Richard, Software Specialist
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Richie,

Thanks again for your help today. I have now tried to put in the same sheet 2 such Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

Unfortunately I get the following message:

Ambiguous name detected worsheet_change

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

I would really appreciate your help to fix this as I would like to have several such triggers in one spreadsheet.

I have uploaded the file again and the link can be found below:

http://wikisend.com/download/546368/oda23_playwith.xltm

Tks vm.

Olie

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi Olie

As we are proceeding on a new question, you need to make a new one please.

You can do so here.

http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=32989067&FID=7067

I can then assit you with this.

Thanks!