Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  B.S. Electrical & Computer Engineering, 20+ years technical experience
7043301

How to transfer outlook 2003 (WinXP) to outlook 2013 (Win8

How to transfer outlook 2003 (WinXP) to outlook 2013 (Win8)

Dr. Dan :

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you with your problem today!

Dr. Dan :

Are you upgrading your Outlook in place or are you switching computers?

Dr. Dan :

Hi there, welcome to the chat!

Customer:

I am switching to a windows 8 computer, a samsung tablet with dock

Dr. Dan :

I would recommend taking a look at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287070

Dr. Dan :

This is a guide Microsoft has written regarding how to manage your outlook mailbox (personal storage folders), or .pst files

Dr. Dan :

While this is current to 2010, the information here can be generalized to 2013

Dr. Dan :

What you need to do to migrate your mailbox from your Outlook 2003 computer to your new computer is the export the .pst file to your drive

Dr. Dan :

and then reimport that in the new computer

Customer:

Does not get me past the microsoft exchange server question as it does not recognice pop3. Also still does not recognise my xtra account

Dr. Dan :

Take a look at the subsection: "How to transfer Outlook data from one computer to another computer"

Dr. Dan :

Sure that is a configuration problem

Dr. Dan :

Are you using an Exchange server for your email account?

Dr. Dan :

(Work?)

Dr. Dan :

It sounds like you have not configured your new email account correctly on Windows 8

Dr. Dan :

You should take a look at your server and mailbox settings on Outlook 2003 and mirror those settings within Outlook 2013 for the same account

Dr. Dan :

The contacts and data will not have anything to do with the exchange server message that you are getting

Dr. Dan :

This sounds like if you are setting up an exchange account, your server is incorrect, or if you are not trying to set up an exchange account, perhaps you have seleced the wrong type and are trying to setup an IMAP or POP account

Dr. Dan :

You should verify how your email is setup in Outlook 2003 so that you can mirror the same server settings

Dr. Dan :

Do you know how to look at your account configuration in Outlook 2003 or would you like some assistance with that?

Dr. Dan :

See the second section

Set up a POP3 or IMAP4 connection to your email in Outlook 2010 or Outlook 2013

Dr. Dan :

Walk through each of those steps

Dr. Dan :

You may need to manually configure server settings

Dr. Dan :

This is where you should copy over the settings from your Outlook 2003 box

Customer:

But I can't open outlook 2013 as it says the connextion to microsoft exchange is unavailable. outlook must be online or connected to to complete this action - i am online

Dr. Dan :

Sounds like you need to remove your profile on Outlook 2013

Dr. Dan :

1. Exit Outlook.

2. In Control Panel, click or double-click Mail.

Dr. Dan :

1. Click Show Profiles.

2. Select a profile.

3. Click Remove.

Dr. Dan :

That will clear out the profile currently preventing you from configuring Outlook 2013

Dr. Dan :

Then go back and step through setting up your Outlook 2013 account again as I mentioned prior

Dr. Dan :

Any luck removing your profile and getting back into Outlook 2013?

Customer:

Have followed wizard. Filled in POP3 account settings but it cannot find the email server

Maree, please update me on your progress with your Outlook account setup
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wizard followed but cannot find email server (pop3)

Did you use the same settings as Outlook 2003? I would not recommend the automatic configuration in the wizard. Use the manual server configuration instructions and copy and paste the exact server address and port settings from Outlook 2003.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I copied it over correctly and manually

What is the error that you are receiving now?

What is your email provider? (please don't give me your entire email address as I cannot read your email address, it appears censored as [email protected] for your privacy, but you can clue me into your provider by telling me what the @_____.___ is, ex. @hotmail.com, @yahoo.com) I will check your server settings too to make sure we have correct ones set.

Maree,

Take a look here:

http://help.telecom.co.nz/app/answers/detail/a_id/4125/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzY3NzIwMDg5L3NpZC9LZGxEMW9wbA%3D%3D

These should be your email settings for @xtra.co.nz

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've followed those steps but it still cannot logon to my incoming mail server pop3

Please tell me what the error is on your Windows 8 machine. Please also check that the tablet has an active internet connection and can otherwise connect to other websites as if your Wifi isn't working correctly will also produce that error despite Outlook being configured correcctly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Logon to incoming mail server (POP3): Cannot find the email server. Verify the server information in your account properties.

Send test email message: Cannot find the email server. Verify the server information in your account properties.

Can still google on tablet

Have you tried configuring it as IMAP?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will try that - no still nothing, it can't find pop3 even if I tell it its an imap

Are you running any firewall or antivirus software? Is your other computer running Outlook 2003 connecting fine? It may be that the ports to access the server on the Windows 8 tablet is being blocked. I would disable any firewall or antivirus on the tablet to make sure that is not conflicting if the server settings are right
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Turned out it was because I had put pop3 "@" not pop3 ".". But what you advised to start me off was good.