Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I keep a database of all my clients. For each client a write

I keep a database of all my clients. For each client a write a short paragraph of every telephone or personal contact we engaged in with the date as a separate field. Thus I have a running history of all my engagements with every client. My question/need: Can I select all the clients whom I have contacted or engaged with longer than say 6 months ago? So I want to have regular contacts with my clients and I want to have a running history. This far I got and it work! If only I could select those that I have not been in contact for after a specified period. Thanks for a great product and for your support. Kindly also cc your reply if at all possible, to XXX@XXXXXX.XXX (Pretoria - South Africa) Regards, Johan
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

JBryan42 :

Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. Please do not rate this session until it has been completed.

JBryan42 :

Can you tell me which database application you have your contact sheets stored in?

Customer:

I use Microsoft Onenote 2010

Customer:

Sorry I thoutht ther heading under which I searched would come up.

I searched under Microsoft Onenote..So the program I use is Microsoft Onenote2010 Regards Johan

JBryan42 :

Ok. Let me place your question into the correct category. Good luck.

Customer:

The ;asyt mwessage I received from you was when you enquired about the product I use . You did acknowledge my reply but since then I have not had any further replies.

Customer:

I left my email as XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX so you can email me directly. I also complained with JustAsk and they said there was some problem wioth the web site which they would lookinto.

Customer:

Kindly provide my solution by email as nothing show up on the web site. Thanks Johan

JBryan42 :

Yes, there is a problem. It never did let anyone else pick up the question. Let me try again and if it doesn't work I will ask the JustAnswer staff to take a look at the problem right away.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

So basically you wish to search on notes based on a date?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I have opened 100 tabs for each of my clients. Now in the space where I enter my notes for the last contact (interaction) I had with my client I start of with the first line as the date. So at a certain point in timem I want to select all those clients that I have contacted longer than for instance 6 months ago. That was my question.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

OneNote is in no way a database, it is a flat file format meaning it does not have the search capabilities and recordsetting as a database (eg: Excel, Access)

The only way you can really do this is to search for the Date within the notes. It will then show the pages where the date occurs.

But to be more powerful then this in Onenote is not possible as it is not designed for extensive searching and database operations.

Do you have to use OneNote to do this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No not necceraly I was offered the OneNote Solution because I could not find someone to develop a proper ACCES database. What is on the other hand important to me is the fact that my OneNote is in sync real time with my 2 secretaries so that whoever makes an entry the others can see immediately.

Could you quote the price to develop a Access database for me?

The requirements for the database are as follows: Required fields: a) name b) nickname c) surname d) ID e) date f) history (text field) this field must be an ongoing field in other words I need to see the various comments I made after I contacted the client with the date at each comment. So I want to scroll down to be able to see at a glance the whole history.

If possible a quick and easy search to get the clients record when new data is added.

Reports:

(1) Client name a) b) and c) date of report and the full history field. to be printed

(2) Selection of clients sorted according to last date contacted

This is my immediate need. I suppose I can always add another report after wards.

I have already now had to pay for the development of the OneNote application but if your price is fair would love to have a proper database in Access. Will I however be also able to share the file (database) with my secretary as in the case of OneNote?

I really think it is a very primitive application that I am looking for - perhaps a student would like to help me out with it.

The basic need of the database is thus a) to keep track of every interaction/engagement I have with my clients and b) to do a check from time to time on those clients that I have not contacted in say ^to 12 months.

Like to hear from you.

Regards

Johan

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Are your secretaries at your location (on the same network)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes on a office network

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,

Then actually it is straight forward.

I can do this, just make the a new question, using the same pricing.

Make it on this link please

Click Me

But Access is what is going to be needed as One note has the limitations as I discussed.

On this question, if you have any additional questions on the one note part, please let me know, else if you can please Rate My Service, that is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Richard, Software Specialist
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, Thanks can I just get the pricing straight. Somebody else reacted on my first question but then something went wrong and he did not provide a solution. I appreciate your reply. Have I got it right then. JustAsk had already deducted R320 when I asked the question. It now seems there is no solution to my question. So did I actually pay R320 just to establish therer is no solution to my question?

Shall I have to pay another R320 for the development of the database in Access?

I shall have to look at our budget. 3 x Office Access is in the order of R6000 (R2000 each).

Do you think you can also program in the Open Office Suite

Would Open Office also allow for sharing the database in real time?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

The first person was just another expert.

It is based on the question, not the expert.

We work on answering the questions you have.

This I did in your regards XXXXX XXXXX note and its searching capabilities (limited which is why Access it required if you want to expand the searching capabilities).

The Database though will need to be done in MS Access, not open office as it wont have these capabilities.

I cannot discuss payment, as I am just an engineer, you can just make the new question on the link I gave for the same as this question.