Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues

I have a question for Access, Im trying to write a program

I have a question for Access, Im trying to write a program for a Personal Trainer. I can get a 1 to 1 relationship working so 1 trainer to 1 client, choose the exercises and record, what i need help with is 1 trainer to 2 or 3 clients choosing different exercises. I thought i could use tabs but this did not work. Im not that experienced in Access but any help would be greatly appreciated, regards, Damo
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

What you need to do Damo is use a Lookup table to keep one to many relationships.

Basically for your challange, you create a table called TrainerClientLookUp

You have the following fields, ID (for this Table and is the primary key), TrainerID, ClientID, Excercise, Date.

You then can lookup the table for all occurances of activities between the Trainer and Clients.

If you have any problems implementing this, please let me know and I can assist you further.

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can i send you the file so you have a look at it and let me know where Im going wrong

of course

- Click the following link:
- Upload the file to that website
- Once it is uploaded, the resulting page will display a "File ID" number.
- Please, give me that "File ID Number"

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Im uploading now but its a slow connection....

no problem

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When you open it if you click on the "exercise program" thats where im stuck. If i choose a client in the first box it displays it in the box at the bottom which is designed for a second client. The S1 S2 sections are the exercises they complete this is not working either.

ok, I see the problem.

You need to delete the second tab, as it is referencing the same fields.

Then make the form (in the properties of the form) a continuous form (instead of a single form)

Then you can add multiple records for it.

If you cannot do this, I am uploading it done (just takes time to upload), let me know and I will give you the link to download.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks I found where to change the form style how do i now add multiple clients at the one time.

You press the right button (play) at the bottom to make a new record, then add the next client.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry confusion, can I add multiple clients and see all the details before saving, like before when i had the tabs.

Each client has its own record, so it is one client per record Damien.

Else you need to add to the Table that the form is based on, more client fields.

eg: client1, client2, client3.

Then add three text boxes that reference each.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok now I'm lost, thanks anyway for your time....

You want to have multiple clients on one form correct?

So you need to add fields to handle this.

Or you keep it as I have done it for you as one Client per record and add multiple records.

These are the two ways to accomplish this.

Should I do this and upload it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes please if you could do a basic shell i may be able to understand it.

Can you download this version please Damien

Click Me

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Richie I think this has answered my question I need to make a form with all the info on it and then create a subform. Its late here where Iam and need some sleep so I will have a look tomorrow, thanks for all your help, and just a quick one and I can get further help later. Can Access do scheduling.... Cheers XXXXX XXXXX again. Damien

No problem to ask me any follow up questions Damien.

Access can do some limited scheduling, depends on what you want to do.

But you can follow up on this question anytime, just reply here, I will mark this question to stay open.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Morning Richard, I can't seem to add data it returns an error that it creates duplicate values.

You first need to save the top entry, then you can enter on the second entry below it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok so I need a way that the form is blank when it opens and I can then save after putting details in. Also how much would it cost roughly for a company if there are any to complete this to a working level.

You would need to contact companies in your area Damien.

But you cannot add multiple records at once.

This is why you need to save one record, before moving to the next one.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok maybe this approach is not right then, If Im working with multiple clients at the one time I need to add the exercises they do as we do them. Is there a way of doing this or do I need to work on a different method.

You have it wrong I believe.

You need to look for the one element. This is the course correct?

Or what is singular? You as the instructor? As all this needs to tie to one thing.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok so there are multiple trainers and multiple clients

1 trainer can train up to 3 or 4 clients, from these clients they may all do the same exercises in which weights will need to be recorded or 1 client may do different exercises.

my thought was i choose the clients i choose the trainer, date and exercises then when the session is finished i hit record or save and then it clears the selections ready for the next session.

Does this help

You should make everything based on a "session"

This is a training session, and this is the One in the relation ship

One Session, multiple Training's, Clients Exercises ect.

This sounds like what you want?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes this is what the S1,S2 tabs were all about and thats what i was enquiring about the scheduling, as it would be handy for the system to tell us what the next session for that client is.

ok, that is how you want to construct it Damien.

Everything based on one Session.

Then you can put in multiple values for all other fields.

Making a schedule would also be entirely possible based on what you now mention.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thanks

Your welcome