Jason
Jason, Computer Technician
Experience:  Over 10 years work experience.
30759776

RA-fvh

Customer Question

Can someone help me? I am studying for my PhD and after conducting a partial Norton scan of my computer and uninstalling a few files such as an outdated photoshop trial via the control panel I tried to open some of my word documents but they cannot open. The files were initially hidden but I managed to unhide them.

However, when I try to open the files Word responds with the following message: "The file work.docx cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents". When I click for details it says: "The file is corrupt and cannot be opened". I then click "ok" which results in the following message: "Word found unreadable content in work.docx. Do you want to recover the contents of this document? If you trust the source of this document, click yes". I then click "yes" and this message appears: "The file work.docx cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents" - "Microsoft Office cannot open this file because some parts are missing or invalid".

I am in complete despair - I need my work. I have tried everything - system restore (although I can't get this back further than when the files began to malfunction) - I have tried (unsuccessfully) to use Zip and I have downloaded numerous repair programmes which do not fix the problem as they report that information etc is missing from the file.

I have also tried to change docx to doc and I have tried the "open and repair" option in Word to no avail.

The docx files have not been reduced to 1KB - all appear to have retained their original size i.e. 51KB etc. I would imagine that this means there is some hope for me - is there anything I can do?

It is 3:45 in the morning here in the UK and I am on the brink of a breakdown. Please help.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Jason :

Hello and thank you for your question today. My name isXXXXX look forward to helping you today.

Do you still need help with this problem? If so, may I start a screen sharing session on your computer and help you resolve the problem? I will send a remote link within minutes after your response, so please keep refreshing the page.

Thank you.

Customer :

Hi there Jason,

Customer :

Thank you so much for your message, yes I still need help unfortunately, I would be grateful if you could help me

Jason :

Hello

Jason :

Very good. Thank you.

Jason :

DISCLAIMER

By choosing to click the Join.Me link below, you understand and agree to give the Expert full access to and control over your computer for computer diagnosis, service and repair; that any third-party software acquired, installed or used during the RemoteDesktop session, by you or the Expert, will be licensed to you, and any terms of use agreed to by you.

JustAnswer strongly recommends that you at all times maintain a complete data backup and disaster recovery plan.

If you agree to the terms listed above, you may continue below.

- If you are running Windows or a newer version of Mac OS, click the following link: https://secure.join.me/Download.aspx?webdownload=true
- If you are running an older version of Mac OS X, please, use this link instead: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/42976/join.me Click the Download Now link on this page, download, and install the package. Then you can open it by going to your Applications folder and double clicking Join.me
- Then download and allow that remote app to run.
- Once it is finished, please, tell me the 9 digit number that appears on the top of your screen.

[Note: Enter the 9 digit number with spaces after each three numbers or it will be blocked on this page]

Customer :

Hi Jason - the number is XXXXX follows: 428-602-394

Jason :

Thank you.

Jason :

I lost the connection.

Jason :

Please, run the Join.Me app again and give me the new number.

Customer :

I am terribly sorry Jason - I have no idea why that screen appeared. It has only started appearing since last night. I hope that it didn't frighten you. Would we be able to try again?

Jason :

Yes, let's try again.

Jason :

I don't know to which screen you are referring, I simply lost connection.

Customer :

Hi Jason - the new number is: 248-662-756

Jason :

Thank you

Jason :

I am there.

Jason :

It says that it is waiting for you.

Jason :

Are you having issues?

Jason :

I am assuming you are having issues with your computer.

Jason :

Are you still with me?

Jason :

It appears that the session was closed by yourself.

Jason :

Let's try this the old-fashioned way.

Jason :

Go to the folder that contains your documents.

Jason :

Right click one of the DOCX files and choose "Open With", then click "Choose Program".

Jason :

On the next page, choose "Open Office" and click OK.

Jason :

Did that work?

Jason :

If so, then you are good to go.

Jason :

You can just double click the documents and they will open in Open Office.

Jason :

The only way that this site will give me any credit for my time or compensate me for my time is if you rate me below.

Please, do not forget to click the Happy face on the bottom of this page and click Submit, if you are satisfied.

If you wish to request me personally for any future questions, you can do so at the following link: http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-computertechmaster/

Thank you,
- Jason

Jason :

Please, let me know if you need any further assistance.

Jason :

Thank you again.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I see that you have left me a poor rating, instead of continuing to communicate with me.

What are you sorry for? Are you sorry for rating My Service as bad, even though I gave the correct answer? When you rate ME bad, you are leaving a mark on my record that will not go away.

Was that a mistake?

Please, let me know how else, I can be of assistance.

Thank you,
Jason