Freddy M.
Freddy M., Computer Support
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

A friend tried to help me with my computer. First, several

A friend tried to help me with my computer. First, several months ago she tried to help me with an error message I got everytime I opened my computer. Her fix was to install another windows program and I was supposed to transfer all my files. I never did and everytime my computer started I had to choose which version of windows I wanted to open and I always chose my old one and dealt with the error about configuring as a minor inconvenience.
Then, last night she came over to help me speed up my computer. She got rid of a lot of cookies and then she accidently deleted my version of windows with all my file, photos, music, contacts, internet favorie files, everything. When I get asked for my password, I know it's a different version of windows because the picture is different. All I want to know is, is this repairable or will I have to start all over?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
When you start up continuously tap F8 on the keyboard, can you then choose the old version?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Freddy. Are you telling me to shut my computer down now to tap on F8? and will this action address the failure message (which right now I don't care about, I just told you about it for background info for you) or to retrieve my old windows version that has all myy files?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Yes continuously tap F8 and right now this is just to see if it was deleted or if only the prompt for you to choose it was deleted.
You can get back to me after by going to justanswer.com and clicking on my questions at the top of the page.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Freddy. I'm responding by tablet since I now don't even have internet. I am very sad because I'm pretty sure I lost everything. I will be back tomorrow. I hope I can talk to you then. Thank you. Mary

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok, Mary when trying those steps did it let you choose between operating systems?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think the answer is yes, but no matter which Windows 7 I highlighted then pushed enter I still arrived at the Windows that does not have any of my personal stuff. Right now my computer is off and I àm unsure what to do to proceed.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
I was afraid you would say that. If it goes to the same one no matter what it means the other copy was deleted permanently. That also unfortunately means anything that was stored on it has been lost. I know this is not what you want to here but I want to make sure I am honest with the information I provide you.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX could have given you better news.
If you have any questions or need any help following these steps click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please consider leaving a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have seen on police shows that they are able to retrieve deleted stuff. Should I look into finding someone like the Geek Squad to look at it? Also, how do I get my computer ready to start new with interner and larger (I need larger for my MS) and different fonts?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
For the first one avoid anything like geek squad you can see why here: Click Here
(It happens more often that not at these types of places)
Retrieving info can only be done if it was not overwritten any local smaller shop should be able to check for you.

However if the newer version installed over it, the items can not be retrieved even with that type of recovery.
As for the internet, your speed comes from the internet provider so you would need to contact them.

For fonts that depends on the software you are using but windows 7 normally comes with a lot of them.
You can also get some fonts from here: Click Here
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Freddy! I'm pretty sure I already filled out a survey. Could you check to be sure? Also, the speed thing of the internet was related to removing all the cookies I had that I didn't need. Still haven't gotten my computer back to regular (still working on the recovery OS and can't seem to get around it. )Will contact a local computer person with recommendations from friends to help. Just haven't gotten there yet. Thanx, Mary

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Your welcome and I actually never received a rating, would you mind doing it again?
The site may have been having some trouble when you originally rated so it did not go through.
.
Freddy M., Computer Support
Experience: Years of experience.