Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Hi, Im using excel on a Mac. I am trying to copy conditional

Hi, I'm using excel on a Mac. I am trying to copy conditional formatting down a series of data, but I need to update each cell's conditions separately as excel tells me that relative referencing with icons is not possible when I remove the $in front of column or row numbers. Is there a solution so I don't have to update each cell manually. Thanks!
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

There are two ways to do this

The first is select all the Cells you want to conditionally format, then make the forumla for the first cell in the range, Excel will re-write it for the rest of the Cells for you

Orwhen you set up the rules, select the option "use a formula to determine which cells to format. Then type in the box your formula, for example H23*.25. When you copy the cells down the formulas will change to H24*.25, H25*.25 and so on.

If you have any difficulties at all, please do not hesitate to let me know so I can assist you further

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

For solution 1, excel automatically locks the reference cells using $ which , when I try to remove them, excel informs that I "cannot use relative references in conditional formatting criteria for color scales, data bars, and icon sets".

so to clarify, you highlighted all the cells and attempted to apply Conditional formatting?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I highlighted the cells I want to apply the formatting to (for example, cells A1 through A5) I want an orange dot if A1 is larger or equal to B1, and a red dot if it is smaller than C1. I can do this no problem for cell A1, but the other cells only reference cells B1 and C1 as the cells are fixed with $B$1...

ok, not sure why you are getting the difficulty, could be the forumla

But are you able to use Method two from me?

set up the rules, select the option "use a formula to determine which cells to format. Then type in the box your formula, for example H23*.25. When you copy the cells down the formulas will change to H24*.25, H25*.25 and so on.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm afraid not. the formula is also locks the reference cells, so every cell applies for format to cell A1 (i.e., A2 is formatted according to $A$1*.25).

ok, then it is an issue specifically within MAC Office.

Have you performed all updates Cameron?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yep, all fully up to date....

ok, then they have not added this functionality in the MAC version Cameron.

The two processes I gave allows you to do this, but these are the only processes. I am really sorry, but you are going to need to update it manually.

I am really sorry about this, and If you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, thanks for trying......

Your welcome Cameron,

the problem is office on Mac has never been at the level of functionality it is on Windows, and these are some of the limitations.

It did not even have Macros till recently..

I know not helpful for you, I just want you to understand the background on some of these limitations.