Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  B.S. Electrical & Computer Engineering, 20+ years technical experience
7043301

How do I change A, B, C, Column headings to different labe

How do I change A, B, C, Column headings to different labels?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Dan :

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you with your problem today!

Dr. Dan :

Can you tell me what program you are using?

Customer:

Excel 2010

Dr. Dan :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX what I am understanding you want to label your columns with a title correct?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. Dan :

To do so you need to use row 1 of your worksheet as the column label and what you can do is to turn your data into a table

Dr. Dan :

Take a look at this tutorial on using the table feature in Excel: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/quick-start-create-an-excel-table-HA010359200.aspx

Customer:

I understand how to do that - What I am attempting to determine is IF I can change A to a label, and B to a Label, etc.

Dr. Dan :

No

Dr. Dan :

Columns are numbered and lettered such that the spreadsheet is in a grid form

Dr. Dan :

A1 is always the top left

Customer:

Understand that, I am working with someone who believes otherwise. I suppose if I hide labels then it would appear that the top row is my Label row.

Dr. Dan :

Let me double check that in my excel (loading)

Dr. Dan :

You can change the Column label

Dr. Dan :

but it will still be identified as "A"

Dr. Dan :

But you can type in a name to the column in the top left corner

Dr. Dan :

Once you have the column selected

Dr. Dan :

So if you select all of A or all of B

Dr. Dan :

the top left cell has A1 or B1 etc

Dr. Dan :

you can change the column label to something else

Dr. Dan :

but the column will still remain A

Dr. Dan :

A1,A2,A3 etc for the cells

Dr. Dan :

despite the label of column A being something else

Dr. Dan :

This is true for cell labels too

Dr. Dan :

This allows you to reference the cell by the label

Customer:

OK - Confirms what I thought. thanks.

Dr. Dan :

So if I named "A2" as "Racoon"

Dr. Dan :

I can now call another cell =(Racoon)

Dr. Dan :

and it will get Racoon or A2's value

Dr. Dan :

But Racoon is equal to A2

Dr. Dan :

=(Racoon) or =(A2) will return the same result

Dr. Dan :

does that make sense?

Dr. Dan :

So the labeling is just aliasing the column, row, or cell

Customer:

Understood - I have been using Excel for several years. When someone with a Ph.D. says you can change A to Label name you think twice.

Dr. Dan :

but the absolute coordinates are still the base reference

Customer:

Understood. You have answered my question.

Dr. Dan :

Great, hope that has helped.

Dr. Dan :

Let me know if that helps!

Dr. Dan :

If it does please take a moment to rate our interaction to close this question.

Dr. Dan :

Thank you,

Dr. Dan :

If you have further questions, please feel free to ask them below and I will gladly continue to assist you!

Dr. Dan, Computer Software Engineer
Experience: B.S. Electrical & Computer Engineering, 20+ years technical experience