Yegarboy
Yegarboy, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Expert VBA Programmer.
18042535

I am trying to find a solution to do a VLOOKUP (or other combination

I am trying to find a solution to do a VLOOKUP (or other combination of functions) to perform a lookup from one sheet to another. The source of the information is formatted:

A1 B1 C1
Item Serial # Location
CPU AB123 Bin 1
Printer Z1234 Bin 4
LCD 45679 Bin 10
CPU XY1234 Bin 12
Disk W1234 Bin 3
CPU A2345 Bin 2

I need to select items and list them in a separate sheet by Item type (e.g. all CPUs and their serial numbers). If I use VLOOKUP I only get one match when I need all three CPUs listed like:

CPU 1 AB123
CPU 2 XY1234
CPU 3 A2345

Is there any way to do this?

Thank you.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to answer your question

Can you attach a copy of the actual sheet? So I can see what you are trying to accomplish, and how the sheet is set up?

You can either click the paperclip icon if you see it at the top of chat window, it sais image but works for xls files too.

or upload to a 3rd party site like wikisend.com

If you upload to wikisend, make sure to provide me with the FIle ID# XXXXX I can access the document
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Attachment: 2013-04-08_050207_inventory_sample.xlsx

I tried to insert my sample file using the paperclip. Not sure if it worked. I'm also setting up a wikisend account and will post the file

there as well but the wikisend server seems to be down at this time. I'll have to send it Monday morning.

The Inventory tab contains the information that is the source for the Letter tab. There will be mulitple inventory tabs with random data (not sorted) and I need to find various inventory items that will be scattered throughout each tab.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Here is the wikisend link: http://wikisend.com/download/607938/Inventory Sample.xlsx

The Inventory tab contains the information that is the source for the Letter tab. There will be mulitple inventory tabs with random data (not sorted) and I need to find various inventory items that will be scattered throughout each tab. There could be multiple matchs or only one depending upon the tab being searched.

Thanks

Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
this can be done, but will have to be done a slightly different way. Will this work for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As long as the solution is flexible enough to add other columns of data from the item match, I should be able to work iwth it. I will be working with up to 1000 tabs of data so any manual intervention in the process wiill be time consuming. My objective is to make this as automated as possible.

Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
when you say add tabs, does this mean you want to pull data from multiple tabs, or you will have one master sheet that will pull the data from then store the results in multiple tabs?

If this is the case the only manual thing you would have to do is change the word that you are using to lookup the values.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will have a master sheet with tab names. Those tabs will increase over time but there will be a reference tab that will be updated with current sheet names.

Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
now you lost me

you wish to selet the data from multiple other sheets to pull into a master sheet.

The way you have it set up now, you are pulling data from one sheet into another one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the confusion. I have a master sheet with all of the tab names to keep track of the data. The solution I am looking for is to have a single sheet pull the selected items from any selected tab. I have used VLOOKUP in the past but I'm having a problem when there are multiple matches with the same Item name. I need to capture each unique line with the serial number of the item wehen there could be 1 to 5 item matches and place them into a list as per the original example.

Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
I think I understand the requirements, However I know that excel gets very confused when tyring to refer to multiple sheets, I know it is possible to return multiple matches using a different function.

I think it would be best at this point if I opt out.

Another expert should be along shortly to assist you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I only need to refer to one sheet at a time to produce a list. I can manage switch sheets but not handling multiple matches on the same sheet.

Does that help?

Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the Professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Rachel

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm still looking for an answer so please keep searching. As I continue to research the solutions, it seems that a VBA expert may be the correct alternative.

Thank you

Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a professionals for you.

Rachel

Expert:  Yegarboy replied 1 year ago.
Welcome To Just Answer!

Hi there,

I can assist you with doing this with a Macro. I think I understand your requirements and will run it by you to make sure.

1. Create a search system to pull data
2. Use selected sheet (link or name) to search for the data on.
3. Pull all related items into a query.

If this is correct I just need to know where to send the data :)

Expert:  Yegarboy replied 1 year ago.
Here is a working solution that can be adapted to be more precise.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?03tnc0bbg6vl7lu

Let me know if I am on the right track :)
Yegarboy, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: Expert VBA Programmer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the solution! I ran the solution and it works for the basic search and you have given me a couple of VBA hints to add to my growing knowledge....smile...

Expert:  Yegarboy replied 1 year ago.
Glad to help :)

Please don't forget to Rate my Answer :)

Cheers