Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Hello, my computer has stopped downloading csv files with microsoft

Customer Question

Hello, my computer has stopped downloading csv files with microsoft excel. i tried to set it as my default, but it is not listed as a possible default program. then i tried to associate it with cvs files so that it would appear as a possible default program, but it still does not work. is there a way to do this without re-installing office?

I am using office 2010 and windows 8 on a dell xps. thank you!
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

What program is now opening when you double click a CSV file?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard. It is opening with Notepad

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

Can you right click on the CSV file and select Open With.

Choose from the programs Excel (if you do not see it, click the little down arrow there to expand).

Once chosen, make sure to check (always use this program as default)

Click ok and test.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard,

Excel does not show up, even when expanded.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, you can then click Browse to select the program

Click this and look under C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office and find Excel and select this.

Are you able to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, I have tried this several times, and then again now. It is not in program files. The file is in here: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office. So I have gone in there and clicked on Excel, but then when I try to open the document, I get a message saying that this app cannot run on my computer. (But Excel is on my computer and it is usable when I open it).

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If you open Excel and then open the CSV, does it open?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks

Go to Control panel (press windows key + X to choose it)

Click Programs, Uninstall a Program

Click Office, click Change then repair.

Then repair, restart and try to set Excel as default again

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

just did that. excel is still not showing up as possibility for default...

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
And if you select it via Browse? Same error?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks

then we are going to need to reinstall Office.

do you have the installation with you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, but i don't want to do that because it always affects my outlook program.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I understand, but you will have to sorry.

What concerns do you have with outlook?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think I would rather deal with this problem than re-install. I can't explain the outlook concerns, but i have re-installed before, and it always causes more trouble than the original problem. but thank you anyway

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, but it needs to re-register everything in the reigstry.

This is why we have to do the reinstall sorry, it is the only way to get it working properly.

If you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thank you

Let me know if you need anything else please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok. thank you

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome!