Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

RA-HL

Customer Question

I know this is an L Plate question, but...
I'm trying to add an existing field in one table to another existing table/form.
I am using an inventory template, which has an inventory transaction form, however the form only has an "Item Description" field, and I need to add an "Part Number" field (which exists in the "Inventory Item" table.
Any assistance would be great.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

To confirm, this is Microsoft Access? And if so, which version?

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Microsoft Access 2013

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Richard.

the picture did not come through, but can I look at this file for you please?

- Click the following link: http://www.wikisend.com
- Upload the file to that website
- Once it is uploaded, the resulting page will display a "File ID" number.
- Please, give me that "File ID Number"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

166566

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I want to confirm Richard, which Form Name is XXXXX XXXXX to be on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you be more specific please

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The name of the form you want to add the field Part Number to

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Inventory Transactions

It has a field for "Transaction Item" but I need to add "Model" so that I can enter a transaction by it's model number rather than by the "Transaction Item" field which is more of a description. It's easier to identify the items by their "Model" code.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you check this file please Richard

Click Me

Is this what you require?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I keep getting a "CTS Inventory type mismatch in expression" error message when I try to open the "Inventory Transaction" form and I can't see the "model" field in the "Inventory Transaction" table. Am I doing something wrong?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It means the CTS Inventory Type you are entering is the wrong data type eg: Text when it should be a number, for that field in the Table.

Do you get this error on your version?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I do. I must have altered a data type by mistake when I was trying to do this myself. Is it easy to fix?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Go to the Table where you have this field and change it to the correct data type (text to be sure)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can't figure out which field is the mismatch. The only one that is number that may be the problem is the "Supllier" field and it won't allow a change because of a relationship.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a previous version before you made this change?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry no.

Would it be easier to create a new database and copy the inventory data over? I only have the inventory table and the few transactions that I have entered so far.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Yes, do that please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have done this, but they seem to have imported as "Unasigned Objects". Is this a problem?

The ID = 649492

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Its ok, it is just from the Template

But is the Model that I added now working for you Richard?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not really. The number that now displays in the "Transaction Item" field is the ID number. I need both the "Item" field from the "Inventory" Table and the "Model" field to display in the "Inventory Transaction" table and associated forms.

My goal is to be able to make entries into the Inventory Transaction" table by "Item" or "model" input.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your version did not have my changes in it.

Can you download this one please

Click Me

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Looks the same as it did before. Can you relable the doc so that I know it isn't a problem at my end?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
here is a renamed version

Click Me

The form I altered is Inventory Transaction. I corrected Inventory and put Model at the bottom.

you see this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The "click me" button seems disabled.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you try this one please

Click Me

Let me know if you have problems with this one please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I see the field added. Will it load the "Model" codes into the drop-down list when the are copied from the unassigned oblects into the right tables?

Is it too much to ask you to copy the data in, so that we can see if it is working properly?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, but where am I coping the data from?

There are a lot of objects in your file Richard.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I guess we need to copy the data from the "Unassigned Oblects" tables in this database into the right tables for inventory, employees, etc. They are pretty small tables really.

I'm really depending on you to know what is necessary. As I said - I'm an L-Plater here.Smile

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It is not missing data.

You have a problem with your Inventory Transactions Extended Query Richard.

Can you check this. I cannot correct it as I do not understand the logic behind how you are organising your data.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm not organising the data, I'm just inputing the data into the supplied template. I haven't customised anything in the template. I simply copied the data over into this new database4.

I can't help you with the logic path, I'm just using the template as it is supplied by Microsoft.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Richard, are you understanding how any of your data base works?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Only the basics. Which is why I'm asking you to help.

My understanding is that this is a template, which only requires data to be entered. It's a Microsoft template supplied with Access.

I'm just trying to get an extra field added to one function.

Are you able to do this for me?

When I click on the drop down box in the Model column in the inventory transaction table, there are no model numbers to choose from. I need those model numbers to drop down.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I have added the field Model, you see it on the Inventory Transaction Form.

But look at the Inventory Table, there are no Model numbers there, you need to add them and it will then appear.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll see if that works tomorrrow. It's too late to continue tonight.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Look at this version please Richard

Click Me

I made it a little different. There is a model table and I put same examples.

Look at the model field. Do you know see them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is going nowhere.

I think we should stop now.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok then.

If you check my version, it shows the model box, as you requested.

If you have any difficulties at all, please do not hesitate to let me know so I can assist you further

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Problem not solved. There seemed to be a lack of understanding of what I was trying to achieve. The MS Access database depends upon relationships with the database, but these did not seem to be addressed. It seemed pointless continuing.