Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years

I am using Publisher and Powerpoint 2010. I am continuously

I am using Publisher and Powerpoint 2010. I am continuously opening a new document from a template via File, New, Templates in both programs. In Word I can record a macro to do this, but am unable to do so in Publisher or Powerpoint. Can you help me with a VBA script so that I can short-cut the process please?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am glad to assist you today.

Are you saying that you have a template in your Publisher 2010 and PowerPoint 2010 that you keep on using and in order to create a NEW file "based" on that template, you need to go to File => New => Templates and then "select" that template file?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jess

Yes that is exactly what I'm trying to do. I would like to be able to create a macro to do that like I can in Word. Then to put a macro button on the quick access tool bar in each program. I only need to know the script to create the macro for each program. After that I can add the button to my toolbars.

Many thanks.

Suzanne

PS - I'm in Australia, so our time difference means I find your emails much later.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Suzanne,

Thank you for that confirmation. Here are the things that you can do in your MS Publisher 2010 in order to launch an instance of your Template using a Macro:
  1. Open Publisher 2010
  2. Click on File => New
  3. Under Available Templates option box, select "Installed Templates" (So that you will only see your Templates and NOT the templates at Microsoft online)
  4. Now, pick your template group. In this demo, I choose the Advertisements group. Screen shot below:

5. In this process, we just need to know the "Design Number" of the template that want to use. For instance, the Art Emphasis template is Design 1, Template Bring In is Design 2, and so on.
  6. Now, create a Macro and use this code:

Sub File_New_Template()
    ' Create new instance of Publisher.
    Dim appPub As New Publisher.Application

Application.Documents.Add pbWizardAdvertisements, 6
    End Sub

7. Please note that the value "pbWizardAdvertisements" is the Template group where your Template is a part of. When you press the space bar after the Add method, these wizard values appear. Here is my screen shot:

Now, for your MS PowerPoint, you cannot Record a Macro like that of MS Word so you need this code:

Sub File_New_Template()
Presentations.Open ("C:\Users\rajess\Downloads\Real_Estate1.potx"), msoTrue, msoTriStateMixed
End Sub

In this code, just replace the POTX file with your actual File Template so that a new instance of the presentation is created.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) once you have all the
information you need. Any tip or bonus is always highly appreciated! Cool

If you have any other questions, please ask me or reply to me – I’ll be happy to respond even after you rated.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jess

I'm having trouble. In Publisher I have three templates. Bulletin 1, Bulletin 2, and Bulletin 3. They show under the MY TEMPLATES folder.

My templates are stored in:

"C:\Users\Suzanne\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\Bulletin 1.pub"

I have typed in exactly what you gave me changing pbWizardAdvertisements, 6 to Bulletin 1.pub - but it's not working.

I am unable to get Powerpoint to work too. The name of the template I use is "Order of the Mass - St John's - 6.00pm (choir).potx"

Could you please give me further assistance.

Thank you.

Suzanne

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Suzanne,

In PowerPoint, did you change my given CODE from:

Sub File_New_Template()
End Sub

TO

Sub File_New_Template()
Presentations.Open ("your FULL path here"), msoTrue, msoTriStateMixed
End Sub

??? Please enter the FULL path of the POTX file, enclosed by double quotes and parentheses.

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jess

I'm still having problems. I've tried a few things, but feel I'm missing something.

Would you be able to walk me through it from top to bottom in Powerpoint, from going in to create the macro, giving it a name and writing the VBA script. After that I should be able to put the macro button on the quick access toolbar and naming it like I do in Word.

I also noticed in Powerpoint that the macro appeared (even though it didn't work) and when I shut down Powerpoint and re-opened it, the macro had disappeared!

I would like to call the macro

"St John 6pm choir"

The name of my template is

"Order of the Mass - St John's - 6.00pm (choir).potx"

The path is "C:\Users\Suzanne\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\Order of the Mass - St John's - 6.00pm (choir).potx"

Many thanks for your help.

Suzanne

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Suzanne,

Regarding your PowerPoint, the macro that you create in a PowerPoint file resides only in current file and you need to Save As the file as "PowerPoint Macro-Enabled Presentation (.pptm)" in the Save As dialog box like this screen shot below:

However, if the purpose of the desired Macro is to open an instance of your POTX template, can I suggest a simpler approach?

I am thinking that it will be easier for you to use a "shortcut" of the POTX file in your desktop screen or even in your My Documents folder to launch the template automatically instead or building a macro for this since the macro only resides in a specific Macro-Enabled file.

Here are the steps:
  1. Please locate your Templates folder where the POTX file is stored. You mentioned it is in "C:\Users\Suzanne\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\"
  2. When you are in that folder, please locate your POTX file, called "Order of the Mass - St John's - 6.00pm (choir).potx"
  3. Right click on this file, then point to "Send to" then click on "Desktop (Create Shortcut"
  4. Here is my screen shot:

5. Then minimize all windows and check the shortcut icon in the desktop. Here is my screen shot:

6. Now, please double click on the shortcut and it shall open PowerPoint with the template already loaded.
These steps are easier that non-risky as compared to building a macro for the same purpose. This is just a suggestion though.

Now, if you want to build a macro that resides on ALL powerpoint files that you open or create in PowerPoint 2010, you need a global macro with VBA programming. This entails building an ADD-IN for your powerpoint with toolbars that run a macro. This process is detailed here in this link:

http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00031_Create_an_ADD-IN_with_TOOLBARS_that_run_macros.htm

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jess

I think you are right about the desktop solution for my template file. It is certainly easier than creating an add-in!

Many thanks for all your help. I've learnt a lot along the way.

Suzanne

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jess

I was wondering if setting up Publisher to do something similar with my documents would also mean creating an add-in?

Suzanne

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Suzanne,

I am glad that you favor the desktop shortcut approach for your PowerPoint template. It is indeed easier and portable since opening the template (POTX) file always creates a blank instance of the template, a perfect solution to avoid going through File => New => Templates routine.

Now, regarding Publisher, yes, the Macro that you create also resides only in a specific file. Thus, you need to create a global macro so that it is available throughout Publisher. This means that you need to create an ADD-IN with Toolbar that will run a macro. The link that I gave you has the basic information in creating such add-in. I hope that helped.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years