NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.

ra-614

Customer Question

Office 2010

I cannot get automatic paragraph numbering working

heading one goes sequentially but heading 2 goes sequentially in its own scheme rather than being a sub division of Heading 1

eg.

1
1.1
1.2

2

3
3.1
3.2

Is not possible.

Also I cannot get an index to work either.

Both of these worked extremely well in 2003

Adrian
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  jnayes replied 1 year ago.
Greetings

Perhaps I'm not following correctly, but the format you just stated does indeed work in 2010 if that's what you're trying to achieve? I'll do my best to explain (you'll need to elaborate on what you're referring to with indexing as well).

The shortcuts for this type of method are as follows.

You'll create the first item

1

Then hit enter, then hit TAB. And label it 1.1, this will now tell Office what format to expect for the rest.

The next one will automatically create 1.2 when you hit enter, and so forth.

When you're ready for the next FULL number (2), use SHIFT + TAB.

So let's say after creating 1.2 we need to move on to 2. Hit enter (1.3 will create), then hold down shift, and with shift still held down, tap the Tab key.

This will revert the next to 2. If you want 2.1 on the next line, simply hit tab normally after hitting enter. This will continue for as long as necessary since When you put in 1.1 the one time, it knows the type of format you want for the rest.

After you get a 2.1 or something to that effect, tabbing one more time will create a 2.1.1 for example.

Try the process out, let me know if that's what you were looking for if you're having trouble with it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have tried this and some of it half works. The Tab and shift keys do not work and why (apart from the fact I am happy with shortcuts - if I knew what they were) when this is supposed to be an "intuit system" do I need shortcuts.

Why do I need to manually number the main heading so that it recognises that this should be heading 1? In 2003 I simply selected Heading 1.

If tI then type text (shift tab make no difference) and select it sometimes I can change its style to Heading 2 and that works. Other times it does not give me the option.

Then when I ask for an Index to be created - it creates on for Heading, 1, 2,3 - no options for anything else and grabs an image and a paragraph from within the body that it adds to the index!!

This is copied from the document - not useable! text with no numbers I cannot change. (Heading start numbering is because I copied part of the document (heading 3 is numbered 3).

1 Main heading 3

1.1 FRFED

1.2 JIM

2 Main heading 4

2.1 Enry

2.1.1 Mary

ted

3 main heading 5

ddddd

3.1.1 ted

jimbo

This typifies what has been happening - without a coherent way to make it work I have little choice but to revert to Word 2003 where things worked well.

I would like an answer but so far I have none.

Expert:  jnayes replied 1 year ago.
I can't really tell you Microsoft's reasoning, since I am not them. I'm on the road now so I'm going to have to opt out so you can get faster assistance.

Was available earlier but not sure when I'll be stationary. Stand by
Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the Professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the Professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new Professional to assist you with your question but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Rachel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think that I shall cancel for now. Having tried many different avenues this looked promising. However, I am no further forward.

I cannot use Word 2010 for the purpose I need. Back to Word 2003 as that works fine. Disappointing, but there you go - when I have more time I shall return

Adrian