Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I am trying to put a command button on a worksheet in Excel

Customer Question

I am trying to put a command button on a worksheet in Excel 2010. I have done it previously in Excel 2000, 2003 and 2007. When I select the Developer menu bar and look at Controls section, the Design Mode, Properties, View Code and Run Dialog items are all active but Insert is greyed out and does not function. Why is this disabled and how do I turn this on?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is Jess and I am glad to assist you today.

Please do this in your Excel 2010:
  1. Open Excel 2010 and load the file you want to work on, or with the blank workbook
  2. Click on File
  3. Click on Options
  4. In the Options dialog box, click on "Advanced" at the left panel
  5. Scroll down to the middle group named "Display options for this workbook"
  6. Under "For objects, show:" select "ALL"
  7. Click OK
  8. Here is my screen shot:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here

9. The Insert button shall now be active

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) once you have all the
information you need. A bonus/tip is always highly appreciated!

Register Here

If you have any other questions, please ask me or reply to me – I’ll be happy to respond even after you rated.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jess

I have done that but the problem remains.

Design Mode, Control Properties, View Code and Run Dialog are all active but Insert (spanner, hammer, etc) is greyed out and inactive.

Peter

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Peter,

Was the setting originally
set to show ALL? Or never?

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jess

I am pretty sure I set it to ALL when I first tried to add a new button in Excel 2010 a week or two ago.

Peter

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Peter,

Thank you for that confirmation. At this point, please try to go to that settings, then set it to NOTHING. Then click Ok. Close Excel.

Then open Excel back, then go to the settings again and set it to ALL. Click Ok. Test your Excel if the Insert button is active.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jess

I did that but the Insert button is still inactive.

If it means anything, in the XML section, which I have never used and have no immediate plans to, also has a number of inactive buttons - Map Properties, Refresh Data, Import and Export. Souce and Expansion Packs are active.

And in Modify the Document Panel is inactive.

These are not a problem but perhaps there is some common issue.

Peter

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Peter,

Is this problem happening only in your existing Excel files? Or in all files? For instance, when you open Excel with a blank workbook, is the Insert button greyed out?

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jess

It seems to be a problem with existing Excel 2010 Files that I have worked on with VBA. They would have started as 2003 or 2007 and been migrated but not had any buttons added.

I have a plain (no VBA) Excel 2010 file that does have active Insert.

I have customised (with VBA) Excel 2007 files that have active Insert.

There does seem to be some relationship with version and previous VBA work.

Peter

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Peter,

Thank you for that information. So it appears that NEW or workbooks has the Insert button active. But all older version files (2003 and 2007) which already contain controls have a greyed out Insert button. Is this correct?

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jess

New 2010 workbooks have the Insert button

Old 2003 and 2007 work books not migrated to 2010 also have it.

But some saved as Macro-Enabled in 2010 seem to lose it.

Having said that I just tried saving an old 2007 in 2010 as Macro-Enabled and it has Insert active working.

But not the one I have been working on.

Peter

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Peter,

Can you send me a dummy of the problem file so that I can manually check it here in my Excel 2010?

If it is possible, upload the dummy file to http://wikisend.com and wait for the 6-digit File ID. Post the File ID when you reply so that I can download the file.

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jess
The wiki send repeatedly has an error while loading.

Is there anything special about file that I should consider?

Something I noticed is that there is a ! in Excel symbol.

Peter

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Peter,

Is the Excel file in use while uploading in wikisend? Please try to close Excel then upload the said file.

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jess

Problem solved. While trying to upload the dummy file I started wondering what the exclamation mark meant and I realised it meant file was protected. Which I knew but to me the protection was for data fields not the sheet as a whole. Dumb I know because I selected the unprotected fields and then protected everything else. And that protected the workbook against Inserts. I removed protection and I can now insert my new button.

So all good. Thanks for help. Just going through a systematic trouble shooting process with an objective guide did the trick.

Peter

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Peter,

Yes the exclamation icon indicates "protection" in an Excel file. In your case, you protected the workbook which caused the issue.

I am glad that it is all well now. Thank you for using our service. If you need assistance in the future, just let me know. I will be happy to help.

Best regards,
Jess