jnayes
jnayes, Computer Support
Experience:  Network Administrator
2888018

one note gives error 0x5 and does ont open

Customer Question

one note gives error 0x5 and does ont open. I hae tried the earlier post of trying ot delete the Offine cache...

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  jnayes replied 1 year ago.
Greetings

What version of Windows are you running? (Xp, Vista, or 7)

And when did the error start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

win 7

Expert:  jnayes replied 1 year ago.
And did this start recently? Couple days, week, etc?

I'm trying to determine the cause, Windows Update for example is notorious for damaging office at times.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

2 or 3 days ago.

I think I removed a copy of back up to an ext h drive thinnkin go clearing th e desktop for space...

the trouble started next day..

it openedyesterday in another user id but not opening today...

the problem appears to haveextended to Office project also today anit is showing similar disc space required errors..

Expert:  jnayes replied 1 year ago.
At the bottom of this page is a rating system (smiley’s). Please ONLY use the REPLY button for now so we can continue if you need clarification, or the issue isn't resolved. Once everything is working and you are 100% satisfied, then you may rate the level of service I have provided. Thank you.

Alright, we're going to start with the hail mary approach on this one, it's not dangerous and you won't lose any data, etc. It's just a first step procedure (especially since you're experiencing a couple different issues here).

I'm going to give you two steps to try, in order. You're going to need to restart the machine, so I'll need you to finish setting up your Justanswer account so you can return to me. Click My Account on the top right, click edit password. Set it twice, then click save changes.

Now, to return to me, either use the links in your email, or return to site and click My Questions at the top right. If it asks you to Login, use your email and the password XXXXX just created.

First step
1) Go to start > all programs > accessories > system tools > system restore. Click Next after it opens. Tick the box on the bottom left (show more restore dates). Roll it back ~ a week. Finish the process, it will restart, wait. Once it starts back up, onenote/project

IF that fails.

2) Do a full removal of Office (not just onenote/project). Start > control panel, programs/features. Office stores the majority of its "custom" data in your profile, so that won't be lost. If it was installed incorrectly, or to a secondary drive (as you noted), many of the core files may have incorrect links. After a full removal, restart, then install it again clean.

Let me know the results. If both fail, simply reply and update me to any changes. I am not always here and I realize this will take a bit of time, but I will respond the very moment I can once you return.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks...

having a small correction to my previous statement:

The program is opening in another user...( I just checked again)

I have tried disc cleanup and remove 9Gb of data using disc cleanup tool ...(hping it is all redundant data)...

Expert:  jnayes replied 1 year ago.
Alright, so we're looking at issues in the primary profile (as I said, it stores files in MANY locations inside of a user profile, no uninstall will resolve that).

I'd like you to still attempt the system restore, but perhaps skip the removal of office.

Let me know the results on the restore and we'll go from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks.

it will save me a lot of trouble. Reinstallation might cause outlook to take all the time again to sync with mailboxes (it took almost 3 days for my 15000 mails from 3email ids to sync)

Does reinstallation lead to loss of OneNote data beyond the date of the backup copy I have?

I do want to avoid loss of data... if reinstallation is required, is ther any use of copying any files from folde 15or some other place?

Anyway, shall I come back after all my attempts tomorrow?

Hoping the problem is solved,

I am hanging up for the time being

(response regarding usefulness tomorrow as per your rules..

but I amreally happy today itself).

Expert:  jnayes replied 1 year ago.
If you're regarding "usefulness" as the rating system. Just ignore that for now, I've worked with customers for weeks to resolve and issue, I only put up the "warning" so they understand they are not forced or rushed to rate.

I have over 12 years experience in Outlook, you have nothing to worry about there. But I would prefer you skip the removal of Office and only attempt the system restore for now.

The reason being is, IF necessary, I can initiate a remote session later today/tomorrow (I'll be on the road soon) and fix it myself hands on. While an uninstall/reinstall won't destroy any data, it will lose settings, which are time consuming to put back in place. The system restore is just an easy hail mary method that could outright resolve the issue, so it shouldn't be overlooked.

If you want to be extra thorough you should likely run a post-scanner as well (virus removal, much higher detection rate than standard real time scanners). It's free, and the link is below:

http://tinyurl.com/mbam7new

Run it, full scan. When it's finishe,d click Show Results, then click Remove Selected. Restart if prompted, test again.

One thing I did overlook.

Go to start, type onenote. When it appears above, hold down the CTRL key. With the CTRL key still held down, left click to start Onenote. Tell me if it opens (this initiate the office app to load in safe mode without add-ons).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried the safemode...

it did not work out..

so I will try the other things...

thanks.

Expert:  jnayes replied 1 year ago.
Not a problem, keep me posted. Remember, if I don't respond right away, don't worry, I will. I own my own company locally so I constantly am on the road (but responses here go directly to my phone).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i went to system restore, and tried it.

it showed that the program itself would get deleted. The recent System Restore points apparently all got deleted in my attempt to clean the disc andcreate space ( silly thing I did, I already had 30Gb oc 150 Gb in my Cdrive.

So I went to the Online Repair of Office 365 online by logging on in the free internet timings of my connection at home. (earlier tried only thelocal repair)

The problemisstill persisting.

I remember I had downloaded loads offiles to OUltookby sync... could that have given a virus?

RIght now thesystemis beingscannedby thefileyou suggested... FUll Scan.

Shall I uninstall completely today and then try tomorrow...

Expert:  jnayes replied 1 year ago.
It'll likely be our next step, yes. Uninstalling shouldn't remove any data, just settings. Let me know tomorrow when you get time. It's late here so I might not respond till tomorrow
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will do uninstallation at night here, IST 12 pm (India)

Expert:  jnayes replied 1 year ago.
Alright, it's ten pm here, so I'll likely respond first thing in the morning
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i uninstalled office365 2013 and did clean install. problem of error 0x5 is persisting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

because clean install did not work, I have copied the profile settings to another user and have tried looking at the OneNote backups... they (older ones) are there and I can restore them in due course one by one... but the recent notes are not available and I am trying to get this user profile itself corrected...

Do we need some advanced technical work now?

I hope I can learn them and do it..

Expert:  jnayes replied 1 year ago.
Clearly it has to be a setting in the user profile, be it a cache file, or some sort of corruption.

You may have to use a special uninstaller to get rid of everything, since standard uninstalls generally leave a lot of garbage behind. Should also back up your onenote and such before doing any removals regardless.

You can try this program

http://www.revouninstaller.com

Free trial (don't purchase it). run it against office using "advanced mode".

And it should allow to clean up all reg and file/folders left behind.

Regardless though, what is the FULL error message?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Full Error Message reads as follows:

"OneNote can't start. This might be because ther'e not enoug free disc space or because we don't have permission to write to files in your user settings folder.

If you're out of disc space, please try to free some up. Otherwise, contact your system administrator.

Error code 0x5"

I hav already used revo earlier for free and may not install as free now. Do we have some other option that is good and free?

Expert:  jnayes replied 1 year ago.
Oh.

Right click the onenote shortcut. Click properties. Click the compatibility tab.

Everything here needs to be UNCHECKED, with the exception of the bottom checkbox for "Run As Administrastor"

Once done, try running onenote again.

If that still fails, go to start, type msconfig and hit enter.

Click the Tools tab. Click change UAC settings and click launch on the bottom right. Slide the slider down to the bottom, click apply, click ok, then restart once more. We'll come back to "removal" once we've tried these steps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

have tried reinstallation after reinstallation od Revo trial version.

The streaming of MS Office 2013 occurred and I now see the "administration permission required shield icon" on the OneNote app icon... the icon is not showing on anly other Office 2013 icons on the taskbar.

I tried starting the program and am seeing the same errors.

Expert:  jnayes replied 1 year ago.
That's because I was forcing it into administrator to test to see if it was a security permissions issue.

When you deleted the offline cache file, did you do it out of local or roaming?

It's supposed to be done out of local, you need to be careful you don't go to the wrong location. To ensure you're in the right location

Go to start

Type

%localappdata%

and hit enter

Then it's Microsoft > Onenote > Version #

and delete the offline cache file.

However, there's one other thing you can try, in case it's a permissions issue (which would cause the same problem), but be sure to delete that cache file again.

Anyway, right click Onenote directory, click properties.

Click security tab, click advanced.

Click the owner tab, click edit. Select your username, and check the box at the bottom left taht should say replace owner on subcontainers or something similar.

Click apply, click ok.

Click ok, until the security permissions dialog is completely closed.

Now, right click onenote again, click properties. Click Security. This time, click add.

Type everyone, click ok.

Now left click everyone at the top of the left, and at the bottom, check the box taht says full control. Click apply, click ok.

Test onenote again. Let me know the results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

done all still no effect.

I see one user name in the Permissions Security zone which looks suspicious: Account Unknown(S-15-2-1). It was having Read & Execute an Read checked in Allow column. I over wrote it feeing it is unknown and checked Deny.

Should I try something else...

Expert:  jnayes replied 1 year ago.
Late here, but there's other things to try. I'll update in the morning. Usually when there's profile corruption like this, is rarely just one thing. I'm concerned about future issues as well. May actually be easier to transfer your profile to a fresh account. Which I can help with remotely as well but we'd need to coordinate time this week
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Profile corruption?

I have actually transferred thefiles to another account.

Had done it earlier once for dysfunctional WIndows Photo Gallery.

I can actualy open the files there but the backup retreival is takine time...

Happy at least it is there... let it take time...

Was worried about some of the most recent notes...

Is there a way to copy the outlook files to that profile so that it does not again have to go through several days' process to update...

in the first place, was the heavy download into OUtlook (15000 emails,mostly spam whic I did not clear (sic), responsible for the dysfunction of One Note?

Or was it because of the removal of backup folder to another Ext Hard drive (space saving measures).

Should I work on the email account on the web first and delete all spams before working on the OUtlook in the other account... Time constraint is what I am worried...

FOr thetimebeing is ther any way to just syncthe most recent 1 onth or so with the inboxes of Outlook

Good Night.

(Good Morning here in India)

Thanks...

Expert:  jnayes replied 1 year ago.
I can move your entire outlook no problem, the database and what not, contacts, etc, no worries.

What time is it exactly there so I can get an idea of coordinating
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

0730 am

Expert:  jnayes replied 1 year ago.
Alright, I'll do a bit more testing tomorrow and if I have anything further I'll post it. If not we'll go for the profile transfer when we both have time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you.

I might be able to join the remote session at around 4 or 0430 am tomorrow, 3 and half hours earlier from this point...0630 or 0700 pm tomorrow for you...

Expert:  jnayes replied 1 year ago.
I was awaiting your response the other day (sorry if you were waiting for mine, things are hectic around here lately).

We're on such different time zones, if you know your way around a computer, I can start at least guiding you the profile transfer?

Depends how comfortable you feel with explorer (copying files from one folder, to another, which is the bulk of it. Including Outlook).