IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

How do I transfer "Contact Persons" and mail archive from Outlook

How do I transfer "Contact Persons" and mail archive from Outlook Express on my old pc to Outlook 2013 on my new?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

Data from Outlook Express cannot be transferred to Outlook 2013 directly. In order to transfer contacts and e-mails successfully, files must be first imported to Windows Live Mail and then exported to Outlook 2013.

Here are the full instructions:

1. Download Windows Live Mail (Windows Essentials 2012) on THIS LINK

2. Start the installer and select Windows Live Mail

3. Wait until Windows Live Mail has been installed and then run it. You don't need to set up an e-mail account there, but just proceed with the e-mail import

4. In Windows Live Mail, click on the Main button (upper left corner blue button) and select Import messages

5. Select Microsoft Outlook Express 6 on the list and click Next

6. Click Browse... and select a folder containing Outlook Express .dbx files. Locate those files on your old computer in this location:
C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\[user identity number]\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Transfer the entire Outlook Express folder to your new computer and copy it to Desktop for an easier access.

7. After that, click Next and select which folders to import, or just select All folders. After that, click Next

8. Import will complete so click Finish to close the window. You will find imported e-mails under Storage folders > Imported folder > Local Folders

9. To export those e-mails to Outlook 2013, click on the Main button (upper left corner blue button) and select Export email > Email messages

10. Windows Live Mail Export window will open. There select Microsoft Exchange and click Next

11. Click OK to continue and follow further instructions to finish the e-mail import

Another way to import old e-mails to Outlook 2013 would be to first set up an account in Windows Live Mail (your main e-mail account) and then drag-and-drop all e-mails from Storage folders > Imported folder > Local Folders to Inbox. Once you have done that, start Outlook and click Send/Receive All Folders button to update e-mails and you will see all e-mails, including the one imported from Outlook Express. Then you can remove an account in Windows Live Mail and uninstall it if you don't plan to use it any more.

To set up an account in Windows Live Mail, follow these instructions:

1. Start Windows Live Mail

2. Click the Accounts tab and then click the Email button

3. There type your e-mail address, password and display name. After that, click Next and your account will be automatically configured

4. Wait until Windows Live Mail re-downloads all your e-mail. This could take several seconds or minutes, depending on the size of your mailbox

Please take a moment to rate my service using one of the smiley faces near my answer. Feel free to ask any additional question you may have.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi again.

I am at work now and I do not have access to my home computers. Before closing the case, I would like to test your options out, so it may take several hours before I return.

Hope this is acceptable?

Jan

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Not a problem at all. Take your time and test my solution whenever you can. This page will always remain open for you.

In case you require further assistance, just reply here and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am now in front of both computers. When trying to download "Windows Live Mail" from the link you sent I get a message stating "the program is not a valid Win 32 program", and the download stops.

I have no problems in downloading it on the new pc.

What now?

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hi! It could be something wrong with the link. Please click on this link instead:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/essentials-home

and then click Download Now located on the right side.

Note that you only need to select and install Windows Live Mail. Other Windows Live Essentials components are not needed for transferring Outlook Express data.

Let me know if you require further assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK; so far - so good.

I downloaded Live mail from the new link to my old pc, and it immediately started to import data from Outlook express.

I now have mail and contacts in Live Mail on the old pc. How do I transfer to the new?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi.

Further: in Live mail there is no "Main" button in the upper left corner. Only the normal mail toolbare with "New", "Reply" etc.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hi!

Actually, you will need to install Windows Live Mail on your new computer as well because it can export messages to Outlook 2013.

Since you have already imported data from Outlook Express to Windows Live Mail on your old computer, you can export that data so that you can import to Windows Live Mail on your new computer.

So, first install Windows Live Mail on your new computer. Then, go to your old computer and do the following:

1. Start Windows Live Mail

2. Press the Alt key to reveal hidden menu bar, then click File > Export messages...

3. Select Microsoft Windows Live Mail and click Next

4. Now click Browse... and create a new folder on your Desktop and select it so all the data can be exported into that folder

5. Click Next and select folders you want to export. You can leave All folders, then click Next and Finish

Now when you have exported e-mail data to the folder on your Desktop, you will need to copy that folder to your new computer. Use a removable disk drive or any other method to copy (transfer) that folder to a new computer.

When you have done that, do the following on your new computer:

1. Start Windows Live Mail

2. You will see it has the blue "Main" button I mentioned. Click it and select Import messages

3. Select Windows Live Mail and click Next

4. Click Browse... and point to a folder you previously copied from an old computer to this new computer, then click Next

5. Select folders to import and click Next, then Finish

Windows Live Mail will import all messages will be located in Storage folders > Imported Folder > Storage Folders > Imported Folder

Now you can export those messages to Outlook 2013. Here is how:

1. In Windows Live Mail on your new computer, click the blue "Main" button and select Export email > Email messages

2. Select Microsoft Exchange and click Next

3. Follow other on-screen instructions to finish the export process

4. When done, start Outlook 2013 and check all e-mail folders. You e-mail messages should be in one of them

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I followed your instructions in every detail, and a lot of exporting and importing took place. However, nothing appeared in Outlook 2013. Folders were created, but they are empty.

So??

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Could you tell me what happened when you followed my last set of instructions - Export email > Email messages?

Was Microsoft Exchange option available?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

After selecting ME a message is shown: This will export messages from WLM to MO or ME.Next profile name Outlook appears in new box.

Then export messages (all folders) and transfer apparently starts.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hi!

I will check it and will get back to you.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hi again!

It seems your e-mails have successfully exported from Windows Live Mail to Outlook 2013, but you will need to look in the default Outlook section called Outlook Data File.

It is located in the top left corner, above your e-mail account, as shown on this picture:

graphic

So, click there and check its Inbox and other folders. Your e-mails should be there. Once you find them, you can use drag-and-drop method to move them to any other folder.

Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I will look for the mails as instructed once I get home. Will I find contact persons there as well?

Jan

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
No problem, take your time.

Contacts should also transfer. If you don't see them, let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK; will do.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
OK.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I finally retrieved my mails on following yor instructions.
However, I am unable to find a file with my contacts in any Outlook folder.

I have the contact in an Excel file; can Outllok import the file? - if so, how?

Jan

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Jan!

I am glad the e-mails are finally in Outlook 2013.

In case you don't see contacts, there are two ways of importing them. First, make sure you have successfully exported all contacts from Outlook Express. If you are not sure, follow these instructions:

1. Start Outlook Express

2. Click File > Export > Address Book...

3. Select Text File (Comma Separated Values) and click the Export button

4. Browse to a location to save the file, then click Next

5. Select the fields you want to export and finally, click Finish

Note that selecting Microsoft Exchange Personal Address Book rather than Text File (Comma Separated Values) works only if you have Outlook 2013 installed on the same computer.

Here is how to import contacts to Outlook 2013:

#1. Import contacts as CSV (comma separated values) format
That is probably the file you mentioned (Excel file), so here are the instructions:

1. Start Outlook 2013

2. Click the File tab, then click Open & Export, and then Import/Export

3. Import and Export Wizard will open. Select Import from another program or file and click Next

4. Select Comma Separated Values and click Next

5. Browse to .csv file to select it. Choose desired option for duplicates and click Next

6. Select a destination folder, for example Outlook Data File > Contacts, and click Next

7. Check the "Import" check-box and if needed, click the Map Custom Fields... button and there select fields to import, then click OK > Finish

That is how it is usually done. However, if you don't see contacts even after following these instructions, or in case you cannot select your Excel file, here is another way of importing all contacts.

#2. Import contacts as VCARD (.vcf) file using Windows Live Mail

1. You will need to use Windows Live Mail and import contacts there. To do that, start Windows Live Mail and click the Contacts section (located on the bottom left side)

2. Now click the Import button located at the top. Select Comma Separated Values (.CSV) and browse to a file

3. Once you have imported all contacts, you will see them in Windows Live Mail. Now you need to export them as Business card (.VCF). To do that, click the Export button and select Business card (.VCF)

4. This file type will generate one .vcf file per contact so if you have 50 contacts, it will generate 50 files. Because of that, Windows Live Mail will ask you to select a folder to export all .vcf files. Create a new folder on Desktop and select it

5. When done, you can now import those .vcf files to Outlook 2013. To do that, start Outlook 2013 and click the File tab, then click Open & Export, and then Import/Export

6. Import and Export Wizard will open. Select Import a VCARD file (.vcf) and click Next

7. Browse to a folder containing exported .vcf files. Note that you can import only one file at once due to limitations in Outlook so you will need to repeat the procedure to import all contact files. This can take some time but will work

8. When done, your contacts will be accessible within Outlook 2013

With the introduction of Outlook 2013, there are limited numbers of ways of importing contacts, in contrast to older versions of Outlook such as Outlook 2010, Outlook 2007, etc

I hope you find my instructions helpful!

Please don't forget to rate my service using the smiley face. In case you require additional assistance, let me know.

Regards,
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience: Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional