Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I have beenusing Excel for YEARS, but never like I need to

I have beenusing Excel for YEARS, but never like I need to now! I am grouping radio buttons in groups. Selecting one for each catagory, i.e., "What type of counter tops do you want" .Laminate, tile, Corian, Granite? Each with its own radio button.When one chooses one of the choices I would like to have the value for that choice be part of a formula.

My formula might be $55.00 per square foot (from the chose) times 100 square feet (from anoth choise) equals cost of counter top.

$55.00 x 100 = $5,500
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.

Can you send me a dummy Excel file that you are working on so that I can work on your formula? I can send back the completed file then.

If this is possible, you can upload the dummy file to this link:
http://wikisend.com

There is no need to register there. Just upload the file and then wait for the screen to show the 6-digit File ID. Post that ID when you reply so that I can download your dummy file.

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I uploaded the file (CPE2) to you. I help poeple build homes, by helping them be an "owner-builder, and save 15-25% on building their homes.

I am develoving a spreadsheet, that will allow them to ESTIMATE how much their home will be with out spending a dime.

I've been doing this for 40 years! Over 500 homes.

When they pick what they want in their home, by selecting the radio buttons, I want each sellection they make, add or subract from the formulated "cost" of the home.

Each sellection they make will be used in the formula, that is calculating, in the boxes on each page,the ESTIMATED cost of their home.

I want to know how each sellection can be used in my formula.

Hi Dave,

Can you please tell me the 6-digit File ID that you got after uploading the dummy file?
Without the 6-digit File ID or the download link, I can't get your file.

Jess
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Opps, I did not see a 6-digit File ID. Should I do it again? And where should I look for this ID?

Dave,

If you already closed the wikisend page, then you need to upload it again. Procedures are shown here:

http://technicalforum.org/windows/how-easily-share-files-using-wikisend

Jess
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry, 129274

Dave,

I got your file. I will work on it and let you know in a while.

Jess
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank You!

Dave,

Can you tell me the exact formula that you want to build here? I see various "Custom Project Estimate" and "Cost per Sq. Ft" boxes as well.

For instance, are you saying that the Cost Per Sq Ft is determined by their selection in the radio boxes?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes. The "Custom Project Estimate" box will constantly upgrade and re-calculate when each radio button is selected.

The "cost per Sq. Ft." box will be calculated from the selection of the product of the "Custom Project Estimate" divided by the size of the home they have selected.

I trying to find out how I can use the "selection", in each catagory, to be used in the formula of "Custom Project Estimate'

Maybe in a macro?

Dave,

I am confused a bit. Let us take this step by step. Let us do Step 1 in your file. You have "Custom Project Estimate" box which is not blank. And you have "cost per Sq. Ft." box which has 115.60.

I now know that this Cost per Sq Ft is Custom Proj Est divided by the their selected size.

Now the questions, please give examples, how will this Custom Proj Est box calculated? If the customer chose "1 Storey Plan - 900 - 1399 Sq Ft", what will be the result in the Custom Proj Est box?

Jess
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

"Custom Project Estimate", CPE Box, Would be empty if no radio boxes were selected.

The reason any of them, both the CPE box and the "cost per sq. ft." box have anything in them is for my prototype.

The CPE box will, hopefully not have a HUGE formula., But that's what I'm trying to discover.

Under "step !", if someone selected the radio "One Story - 900- 1,399 Sq. ft." I would want the "pre-selected by me number" , let's say $43.25 (Per sq. ft.) to be placed into the formula calculating the CPE.

Dave,

Thank you for that information. We do not need a macro to solve the problem. However, you need to define exactly HOW the CPE is calculated. For the sake of demo, I use a VLOOKUP formula to use the selection under the 15-selection options in Step 1 about the 1-storey or 2-storey plans.

The logic here is to "capture" your selection and place the selection elsewhere. In this case, I used Sheet to as "supporting sheets". This means that the formula is built using Sheet 2 data.

Now, to capture the selected item in the 15-option radio box, you just need to select manually ALL of the items (15 items in step 1, plan types). Right click on the selection then click on Format Object. Screen shot below:

Click on Control tab, then in Cell link box, click on the small red arrow. Then it will minimize and you can now select WHICH cell to choose to hold the selection. In this case, click on Sheet 2 in the sheet tabs, then click on your preferred cell. In my sample, I choose Sheet 2, B2.

Then press Enter. Then click OK to close the dialog box. Now, B2 in Sheet 2 will hold the selected option among the 15 items. Thus, it will show numbers 1 through 15 depending on the selection.

Now, the trick. You need to create a table representing your "pre-selected" numbers. In your sample you mentioned you want to have 43.25 for the first option. I completed the table in Sheet 2 with my dummy data.

The clue here is that, when the customer choose an option in step 1, it will show in Sheet 2 B2 the option number. Then using the VLOOKUP formula, you can use the corresponding value in the table representing the rate that you pre-select.

Thus, in the sample I made, when you select option 1, the CPE will show 43.25. When you change the selection, the value changes as well.

Now, you can continue to revise the CPE formula by multiplying it by something depending on how you want the CPE is calculated. But in this sample, using a table and the VLOOKUP formula, you can use the selection to be processed in the formula.

Click here to download my sample:
http://wikisend.com/download/437070/CPE 2_rev1.xlsx

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. A bonus or tip is always highly appreciated! Cool

If you have any other questions, please ask me or reply to me – I’ll be happy to respond even after you rated.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Jess,

Thank You ! What I have read, and it's 2:00 am here, God only knows what time it is where you are, I'm having problems with my internet, and will answer you tomorrow. So far EXCELLENT.

I will have many more questions... so what is a sure way to reach YOU?

Good Morning,

Dave

Dave,

Thank you for writing back. Please take your time to rest. You can bookmark this page or add to your Favorites so that you can get back to me in this page any time.

Regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Jess,

I've been pouring over you response. It is very helpful but, a few questions have arose.

In your VLOOKUP formula VLLOKUP(Sheet2!B2,Sheet2!A4:AA18,2,FALSE)...when radio "4" is selected the product comes up 7 and when radio "5" is selected 4 comes up ???

Why in the range A4:AA18 did you use AA18 and not B18?

Help?

Dave

Dave,

Thank you for writing back. Basically, I saw the ordering "issue" with your options but I suggest you keep the "order" but fix the values at the back end. I need to explain this further. Here we go.

Look at Sheet 2, B2. That cell holds the "selection" the client makes among the 15 radio options. The options from the very start is NOT in order. Click on item 1, B2 shows 1. Choose option 2, it will show 2 and same with option 3. But option 4, "1 Storey Plan 2400 - ", it shows 7. This means that you created the 7th radio button and placed it as option 4. That is why when the 4th option is selected, 7 is shown. This is true with the other options 5th and the rest. To check the option order, make a reference of Sheet 2 B2 in any cells in Sheet 1 so that you can easily see what is shown when an option is selected so that you can change your table values instead of recreating the radio options.

Here is my screen shot of cell AA17 in sheet 1 showing Sheet 2 B2 value.

Now, regarding the cell range in the VLOOKUP formula, I am sorry but the range should be A4:B18 in Sheet 2. The range A4:AA18 was generated by Excel since I used the mouse to build the formula which might have caused the problem. So the VLOOKUP formula should be:

=VLOOKUP(Sheet2!B2,Sheet2!A4:B18,2,FALSE)

That should work and the table shall be enclosed or referenced properly in the VLOOKUP call.

In case of the options order number, there are 2 things that can be done there. First is to recreate the options or radio buttons and place them in the order they are created. The second is to note their order and place the right value in the table so that you no longer need to recreate the buttons.

Here is the file with the corrected vlookup formula:
http://wikisend.com/download/106182/CPE 2_rev3.xlsx

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Jess,

Thank You very much. Your help, both this time and the first, was very helpful. Thanks again for your help!

I went out and bought Excel 2010 Bible because your knowledge of the Excel program has inspired me to obtain a "small" fraction of what you have.

Dave

Dave,

Thank you for writing back. Yes, that Excel 2010 Bible is a great reference so that you can maximize your use of Excel.

I am glad to be of help. If you need assistance in the future, just let me know. If you have some time to rate my service (smiley faces/stars), I highly appreciate it!

Best regards,
Jess