Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I want to filter the rows in a worksheet that contain the value

I want to filter the rows in a worksheet that contain the value "TR" in the column "Product Code". And together with that, I want to filter the rows that contain another product code, but the same file number (in another column) as the rows with product code "TR".
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

To clarify, you want to filter Product Code based on two product codes?

I did not understand "but the same file number (in another column) as the rows with product code "TR"." 1005 sorry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard,

Please see below table. I want to filter all the files that contain a TR product. But all the rows with the concerning file number have to filtered, not just the ones with product code TR. How can I make a filter for this?Thanks.

FileProduct type
7251643VL
7251643DV
7251643HO
7251643DV
7361598DV
7361598TR
7361598TR
7364489VL
7364489DV
7364489VL
7364489DV
7456893DV
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Anne

Do You mean you want to search every column and row?

Can you upload the spreadsheet to www.wikisend.com so I can look at it please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, the file is called NYI and the link is http://wikisend.com/download/769366/NYI.xlsx

It is a list of files and each file can contain several products with specific product codes. I need to filter each file that contains a product with code TR. But not just the rows with product code TR, the other products that are in the concerning files as well. So: if a file contains a product code TR, all the rows with the same file number have to be filtered. Hope it is clear like this. Thank you.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
it can't be filtered, but I can have it make a new list based on these conditions.

Would this work Anne?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I think so, and please let me know how I can do that myself!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It will need to be programmed which I can do, though you will have to use this sheet.

Is this ok?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you download this file Anne

http://wikisend.com/download/509958/NYI.xlsm

Click the RUN button to filter as you wanted it.

Let me know if you have any difficulties please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The file is corrupt, I guess because of the extension .xlsm but i don't know how to solve this..

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The extension xlsm will not matter, and it is needed.

But it may of been corrupt in the upload

Can you try to download it again please from here?

http://wikisend.com/download/905014/NYI.xlsm

If you have any difficulties at all, please do not hesitate to let me know so I can assist you further

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi. It is still corrupt..thanks for helping

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
When exactly does it say this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I click the "Download file" button at Wikisend, Windows Internet Explorer asks me what I want to do: Open, Save or Save As. When I choose for Open, Excel tells me "The file is corrupt and cannot be opened". I also tried to save it first and than to open it in Excel, but that gives the same error message.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can I log on and look please on the connected computer?

It is easier.

Go to Click Me

Click the Orange Play button

Download and run the program and click Share

Give me the numbers at the top of the screen (eg: 456-789-123)

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard, before I would share the computer, I would like to know if it's possible for me to apply the filter as you did. The file I gave you was a simplified version of the ones I have to analyse at work on a daily basis (of which I don't have an exemple right now). So I should be able to do it myself, if it's not too complicated.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It is very easy Anne,

you copy the data into it, press a button and it is filtered.

One thing, which version of Office do you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. Here at home i work with MSO 2010, but the file was sent from my working office and there we use MSO2007..would that be the problem?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No it would not.

Can we do the joinme?

Go to Click Me

Click the Orange Play button

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

261-093-776

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
please let me know when you have your file

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Goodmorning Richard, could you perhaps take a look in the spreadsheet that I copied in the file you made? join me: 333-330-867

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
please give me the link
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

139382

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

http://wikisend.com/download/607032/NYI.xlsx

Actually this is the one with the button in it..

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, it was actually working. We just did not see it.

Look in Column Q, do you see TR?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In the file that is on Wikisend? I cannot open it (corrupt)?

Or the one on my computer? There is code TR in column Q yes

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The first one you uploaded for me in wikisend had no TR

http://wikisend.com/download/139382/JA.xlsm

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can see it (in the copy on my computer; when I try to open it via Wikisend, it is corrupt again). But the button is in another file now, which I uploaded afterwards. Did it work in that one as well?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, on my computer it is working no problem....

Do you have another computer there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have to go now. Thank you so far for your help!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard. I had one file with the code in it, and one with the button.

I found out how to make the button in the first one, so I fixed that myself (hope I did not mess it up). Is it correct that I have to click a lot of OK's in a pop-up with "TR"in it? Next question is: the filter is actually deleting the files that contain a TR code. Is it possible to have them as well, in a separate file or sheet?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, I can fix the Message Box.

But you want them moved now, not deleted?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I did not realize that filtering could also mean deleting (because normally in an auto filter Excel is hiding the rows). If I was aware of this I would have been more specific in my question, sorry for that. But yes, I need the files with TR in another sheet/file. Anyway, it's 22:00hrs here....so I will see your reply tomorrow

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
upload the copy you have to wikisend please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
This is done Anne

http://wikisend.com/download/365556/JA (2).xlsm

It hides them, to unhide, click in the top left so the whole page is selected, right click and select unhide.

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good. But, so frustrating, I get the message again when I try to open the link that you sent me (File is corrupt and can not be opened). Well actually, when I choose for the option "Open"

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
We are nearly there :)

Download this text file please

http://wikisend.com/download/169486/ja.txt

Then copy the text.

Go to the worksheet and press ALT+F11 so you see the code (click Sheet 1 top left if you do not)

Replace all that code with what you copied from the text file you downloaded.

You can then press F5 to run it.

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

YES! That worked fine. Only now....(I hardly dare to say it)...how can I get the data that I just filtered ou?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
So you want this data exported to another sheet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I do, is that possible?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, I need to ask as this is additional functionality that you create a new question please Anne.

We have the sheet filtering. It is hiding correctly and you can unhide it.

Can you let me know if this is not the case, else rate me please on this question.

We can then make the additional functionality for exporting when you make a question on this link Click Me

thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I will figure something out myself.

Thanks a lot for your help with this. Before I am going to rate you, Richard: did you say you are dutch???????

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ja, ben in de randstad

Ik kan ook de volgende vraag voor u doen, maar je moet en nieuwe vragen maken op dit link Als U wil

Als U nog vragen, hoor ik graag.

Richard, Software Specialist
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues