Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I have two problems with Microsoft Word software on my laptop.

I have two problems with Microsoft Word software on my laptop. I am currently using Microsoft Office Word 2007 and I have some documents that were converted from Microsoft Office Word 2003 or earlier. All of the word documents I use and save are on a flash drive. The first problem I am having with a few documents is when I go to reopen them, I receive the following error message:

The file cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents. Details: The name in the end tag of the element must match the element type in the start tag.

The second problem I am having is when I go to my flash drive to reopen a document, the document will open as a read-only file. I would like to reopen my documents and have the file be "regular", not read-only.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

Sorry about the delay you have had.

On the first problem. Are you able to open the document in Word 2003? Can you try this?

On the second issue. Right click on the Folder containing all the documents and select Properties. Click Read Only (even if it is blank) so that everything is readonly. then click OK. Go to properties again and click Odd Read Only.

Let me know on the first issue please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

For the first problem, I'm pretty sure I can't attempt to open the document with 2003 because it is no longer on my laptop. I just tried to open it on my desktop with Office Word Starter 2010 and it did not open. The file I am trying to open was created with 2007 by the way.

How many files cannot open Kevin?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

At this time, three files. I just finished trying to fix the files with the Open and Repair feature and the Text Recovery converter. Both options did not help. With the Open and Repair feature, I receive the same error messages. With the Text Recovery feature, the files open, but the original text is not present. Instead, a string of foreign characters is in place of the original text.

Can I see one of the files please?

- Click the following link: http://www.wikisend.com
- Upload the file to that website
- Once it is uploaded, the resulting page will display a "File ID" number.
- Please, give me that "File ID Number"

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

File number is XXXXX

It is completely corrupted, and this file you cannot recover.

Do you have the original copy of it Kevin?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I do not. How does a file become corrupted and how can I keep this from happening to any other files?

It is due to bugs within office.

when it saves the file, it can at times not write the data correctly. This corrupts the file. It has been an issue since the beginning of Office, though it occurs a lot less now.

The exact technical reason (ie: the area of code that has the issue) Microsoft only know (they do not display their source code)

To avoid it, keep multiple copies of the file as backups. this is always the best way to avoid this problem

If you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you