IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

ra-ks

Customer Question

I have a ML-2165 Printer. It works but will not print from MS Office 2013. I really need to solve this problem. Is the printer not compatible with Office 2013 and Windows 7?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

Please test printing in other programs such as Notepad. Start Notepad by clicking Start > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad

Type some text there and click File > Print... Select your printer and click Print.

Will it print successfully?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can print PDFs that are saved email attachments. I can't print Emails from Outlook 2013.

I can print from Office 2010 and Open Office

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Your printer is compatible with Windows 7 and if you are able to print from Office 2010 and other programs, then you don't need to install any additional drivers.

The problem seems to be in Outlook 2013. Please do the following to test printing in Outlook 2013:

1. Exit Outlook 2013

2. Click the Window Start button and type this command into search box:

outlook /safe

and press Enter. Note that there is a space between k and /.

3. Outlook 2013 should start in Safe Mode that has some functions disabled. Check if you can print now

If Outlook 2013 doesn't open in Safe Mode, another way would be to press and hold the Ctrl key while double-clicking the Outlook 2013 icon. You should see a dialog asking you if you want to start Outlook in safe mode so click Yes.

Please tell me the results.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tried it. But just got error message saying Outlook 2013 was not working when I tried to print.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
I see. You can further test printing in Outlook 2013 by selecting another printer. In case you don't have any other printer, you can install a virtual PDF printer which is used for saving or "printing" any document to PDF.

One of those virtual printers is a program called doPDF. It is free and can be downloaded from THIS LINK.

Install it and then restart Outlook 2013. Choose a document you want to print within Outlook 2013, but this time, select doPDF as a printer. It won't print to a real paper, but to a file - PDF.

Check if it will successfully create a PDF file or it will crash again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a Canon MP560 which, after updating drivers, will print from Office 2013.

Both printers are installed and switched on. Changing the default printer doesn't make any difference either.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried with doPDF to see if it will create (print) a PDF file?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have now tried with doPDF. Didn't crash. It did say printer not responding though

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
OK. This confirms that it seems to be an incompatibility issue between your printer - Samsung ML-2165 and Microsoft Office 2013.

Because of that, you will need to install another drivers which would hopefully make Office 2013 accept your printer and use it without crashing.

Since I am not sure which printer drivers you have already tried, here are all possible printer drivers for Samsung ML-2165 which are known to work.

Drivers #1 - DOWNLOAD LINK

Drivers #2 - DOWNLOAD LINK

Drivers #3 - DOWNLOAD LINK

Drivers #4 - DOWNLOAD LINK

You will need to uninstall current printer drivers via Control Panel > Uninstall a program. There locate anything related to Samsung ML-2165, ML-2160 series or any other similar item name.

You can also uninstall printer drivers in Device Manager:

1. Press the Windows logo + R key combination to bring up the Run box

2. There type devmgmt.msc and press Enter

3. Expand the Printers category and locate your Samsung printer. To uninstall printer drivers, right-click on printer's name and select Uninstall. Check the Delete the driver software for this device check-box if it is available

Restart your computer if it is needed to finish the uninstall process.

After that, download and test all printer drivers I provided, one by one. I hope at least one of them will help solve the problem.

Regards,
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hi again!

Since several days have passed since I answered your question here, and you haven't replied, I would like to know if my answer helped or you still require assistance.

If you do, don't hesitate to reply any time.

If my answer was helpful, please use one of the smiley buttons next to my answer to rate the service I provided. Rating won't cost you anything extra, and it is a way to thank me for helping you.

Thanks!

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hi again!

I would like to know if my answer helped you or you still need help?

Let me know,