Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I have lost a toolbar in the addins tab Custom tool bars is

Customer Question

I have lost a toolbar in the addins tab Custom tool bars is there any way to get it back
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Chris and I will be happy to assist you.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble.

Is this a toolbar in internet explorer that you have lost? Please tell me which tool bar you are missing.

Thank you,
Chris
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is in MS Excel 2010 the "Addins" tab in the Custom Toolbars secion. It is an XLA (Addin Toolbar)

Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
My apologies but I am not sure at this time . I will opt/out and send your question back to the other experts. You will receive an email when they are ready to help you shortly.

Thank You
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is Jess and I am glad to assist you today.

Can you please describe "where" did you first "have" this "Add-ins" tab? Also, you mentioned this is an XLA file, can you please tell me which Add-In is this? (Like "TreeMapper" add-in)

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The Addin Tab is in the ribbon in Microsoft Excel 2010 and 2007. The XLA file is an Addin containing Macros to assist in Finding and sorting files/

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

To get your addins tab to show Right Click on the Ribbon and Click on Customize Ribbon and make sure there is a check mark in the Addins Tab.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for writing back with that information. So the Add-Ins tab is in the "Main Tabs" since it has the FIle and other menus.

Now, do you know the what software did you install to bring this add-in or XLA file? Or can you please tell me the exact filename of the XLA file?

If you are using Windows Vista or 7, please visit this path to see if your XLA file is there:

C:\Users\your-user-name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\AddIns
(your-user-name is your Windows login name)

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I gave the file the name finder_1030.xla it is located in the ...\Addins section as it should be.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for that information.

First, please do the following:

A. Ensure that Add-Ins is listed under Main Tabs
  1. Open Excel
  2. Click on File => Options
  3. Click Customize Ribbon in the left menu/panel
  4. In the Customize the Ribbon selection box at the top, select "Main Tabs"
  5. It shall display the contents of the Main Tabs which includes "Add-ins"
  6. Here is my screen shot:

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here

7. If Add-ins is not checked, click on the check box to put a check mark on it
  8. Then click OK

Now, if Add-ins is already checked there, do the next steps:

B. Enable the Add-ins (Manually)
  1. Open Excel
  2. Click on File => Options
  3. Click on Add-ins in the left panel
  4. In the selection box in the bottom named Manage, select on Excel Add-ins
  5. Then click on GO button
  6. Here is my screen shot

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here

7. In the list of Add-ins, please check if the Add-in represented by your XLA file is listed there. If it is, you can simply click on the check box to enable it.
  8. Here is my screen shot:

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here

9. When a check mark is put next to the Add-in name, it means enabled. When your plugin is there and checked, click on OK
  10. However, if your Add-in is NOT listed there, click on the BROWSE button in the dialog box I showed above
  11. Now, go to the location of the XLA file, you mentioned it is finder_1030.xla. Please locate this file when you click the browse button.
  12. Then click on it when selected
  13. Then click OK to enable it
  14. Then see if the Add-ins tab will now show in your menu, the Main Tab

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) once you have all the
information you need.

If you have any other questions, please DO NOT rate my answer negatively (1-2 stars/faces). Instead, please ask me or reply to me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I have done all of the things you have mentioned above and Is has not done any good the tool bar still does not show up.

I have gone into the Code in VBA and made sure that the Toolbar is set to Visible = True. In fact I have manually set the toolbar to Visible = False then reloaded the toolbar and nothing shows up. I then go back into the code and Set the Toolbar to Visible = True, remove the Tool bar and reload it and it still does not show up.

All of my other toolbars are in the Custom Toolbar just not this one. I was hoping that someone had dealt with this before but I can see that it is not so.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Did you create this XLA file yourself?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I created it and it was working fine until it was deleted off the Custom tool bars of the Addins tab.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Can you send the file to me so that I can check it manually? If it is possible, you can upload the xla file to this site below:

http://wikisend.com

No need to register there. Just upload then wait for the screen to show the 6-digit File ID. Post the file ID when you reply so that I can download the xla file.

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No the issue is not with the XLA file rather it is with deleting the file from the Excel Program. I have the program working on 6 other computers with no issue.

If you don't know of a way to make Excel show the addin that is fine. I will simply do the work on a different computer.

Thank you

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
The procedures I gave you should make the XLA work. It is how to install an add-in of type XLA. It is basically pointing to the XLA file using the browse button in the Add-ins dialog box and checking it in to enable the add-in.

You mentioned "deleting the file from the Excel program". How did you do it? Did noy move this xla file from its location when it was first installed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well the procedures did not work and I had tried all of those before I even went to the internet.

To delete a toolbar right click on the toolbar then left click on "Delete Custom Toolbar" and it will be gone.

I have found a solution on my own so I consider this matter closed.