Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues

I use ms word from office xp pro and on some documents when

I use ms word from office xp pro and on some documents when I put the page number symbol # XXXXX the footer, all the page numbers come up as 0. How can I fix that?

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

Can I look at a document please with the problem

- Click the following link: http://www.wikisend.com

- Upload the file to that website

- Once it is uploaded, the resulting page will display a "File ID" number.

- Please, give me that "File ID Number"

I can then look at it directly.

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richie,

The file ID number is XXXXX

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Check this please Andy

http://wikisend.com/download/232900/QA-WHSE Management System Manual 6 2013.doc

You need to do a Print Preview and you then see the numbering correctly.

Let me know if you do not please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did print preview and sorry to say that all the page numbers show up as 0 in that view as well. So I still don't have any idea on how to fix the problem.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, for me it is ok Andy, they show correctly, so it is not your document but Word.

Can you please go here Click Me

Click on FIX IT, and run the file it downloads. Perform a reset of Word, then restart the computer and check the document.

Does it still have the problem Andy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard,

I ran fix it, reset word, restarted computer, problem still there. On reopening the document the table of contents showed the correct page numbers but the footers still show 0 for all pages. I then tried print preview and noticed the TOC page numbers all changed to 4 but each page still 0. Any other ideas?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Go to Help, Detect and Repair and run this and repair any issues found.

Then restart the computer and test.

It is an issue on the computer, not the document (as it is ok for me) so want to rule out these causes.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard,

I went to help ran D & R it didn't come up with any issues, just reconfigured successfully. Then restart and problem still there. Its now past my bed time so I'll shut down now and look again in the morning at anything else you can come up with.

Regards,

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
When you are back Andy, please do the following

Download CC Cleaner (free) from here

CC Cleaner

(Click Download Latest Version on the top right)

Run it and let it scan and repair your registry.

Once done, restart the computer

Than

Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /f

Press enter.

It will complain the Volume is in use and to run on restart. Say YES and restart the computer

Than test and Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Richard, I have CCleaner already but downloaded it again anyway. Did registry scan and fix twice, no issues second time. Then restarted and followed your process. After entering sfc/scannow a Windows file protection message came: Please wait while Windows verifies that all protected Windows files are intact and in their original versions. The another message prompting me to put in the Windows XP CD. I ignored that and continued with your process. On restart the disk check occurred OK, but it didn't fix the problem. I repeated your process with the CD in the computer and waited until the Windows verification completed OK before entering chkdsk/f. On restart the disk check ran OK but sorry to say the problem is still there. Is it worth reinstalling Windows XP Pro from the original CD bearing in mind it is 2002 which is older than the version currently operating?

Regards,

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The fact it asked for the Disk Andy means there is a problem with Windows.

It is worth reinstalling via the Disk you have.

Can you do this please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Richard,

Windows used files from the disk during the verification process which didn't flag any further issue on completion so I am not convinced there is a problem with my operating system. I put the file on a USB stick and checked it on 2 different laptops and the same problem occurred. I think it is more likely that my version of Word (the laptops also had XP versions) is not dealing properly with the page numbering process on documents created with some other versions of Word (I don't have the problem with any documents I create myself). Can you tell me what version of Word you used to look at the document I sent you? I will see my computer repair shop guy tomorrow who is suggesting he install Word 2007 and see how that reads the document. With your permission, I'd like to try that before messing with Windows. Will that be OK? I'll let you know the result of course.

Regards,

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I am using Word 2010 and it worked good for me.

But I agree with you on the next course of action Andy.

Let him install Word 2007 and Let me know the results please

Thank you
Richard, Software Specialist
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Richard,

My repair man installed Office 2007 and that has resolved the issue. I can't give you a high rating because none of your suggestions fixed the problem. I will give you an OK rating just so you get paid for your efforts. In any case Just Answer took the money off me anyway prematurely which I consider very bad form so I don't think I would use them again for purely that reason. My interaction with you did indirectly motivate me to get the problem fixed, so thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

We indicate you make a deposit which can be refunded.

If you need anything else,m please let me know.

And please remember to rate my service.

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I gave you an OK rating. Just Answer debited my credit card with the deposit initially and then the balance before I had given your rating. Unless they can give me a firm assurance they will amend their procedures to ensure in future that the balance is not debited until an OK or better rating has been given, I will not recommend them to any of my clients or associates.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi Andy

Sorry about your concern. I am only an engineer here, I have no insight into how payments works.

But they are very responsive.

Can you email customerservice@justanswer.com with your query.

they can handle it in a detailed manner with the correct information.

If you need anything else, please just let me know.

Richard.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The problem I asked you to fix turned out to be
unfixable due to the difference in the algorithms for creating page
numbers between Word XP and Word 2007. Working with 2007, I notice that
you have the option of maintaining compatability with the previous
version or not. Possibly that is the reason why some documents I was
sent have the problem and others do not.