Joshua C.
Joshua C., PC Technician
Experience:  Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician with over 10 years of experience.
18519760

Im unable to open any Word or Powerpoint documents, and I

Customer Question

I'm unable to open any Word or Powerpoint documents, and I can't install any new programs. Am getting a message that says something like "a program is currently downloading, please try again later". I can't figure out what is working in the background and have shut down and restarted more than once.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Joshua C. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer.com my name is Josh and I am going to assist you today.

What operating system is your computer using?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm using Windows 7.

Expert:  Joshua C. replied 4 years ago.
Restart your computer and press F8 on your keyboard before the windows logo appears. You will be given a list of boot options, select safe mode with networking.

Once your computer boots into safe mode attempt to open Word or Power point documents. Once you test if safe mode allows you open your files, reboot the computer and let it boot normally. Report back to me if you were able to open the files and we can continue fixing the issue with your computer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Nope, no luck in safe mode. And I did get a new message upon restarting - acer compatability issues with windows.

Expert:  Joshua C. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for testing safe mode and reporting the new error message that occurred. I am reviewing technical documentation now on the best way to resolve the issues you have described.

While I am reviewing information I need to get the model of the Acer computer that you are using so I know exactly what hardware your computer has. Please respond with the model of your computer and I will be able to provide the next steps to take.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

absolutely! I have an Acer Aspire 5755-6699. Hope that helps!

Expert:  Joshua C. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the information I am reviewing your Acer Aspire model for a solution.

While I review my available information could you try and install any program on your computer and let me know the exact error text that pops up? This will help me in making a determination about both the issues you have described.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tried Adobe Air update, says "The program could not be installed because another application is being installed. Complete the first installation before completing this one."

Trying to open a Word/Excel/PPT doc gives me this Windows Installer pop-up, and then the same message as above.

Expert:  Joshua C. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for providing the exact error, it sounds like there is an issue with the windows installer service. The first step to correct this issue is to scan your system files for errors.

Click on start -> all programs -> accessories -> right click on command prompt and select run as administrator.

When the command prompt window opens type in the following:

sfc /scannow

and press enter.

Allow the scan to complete and let me know if it finds any errors.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Scan results state: Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Thanks for your patience and help. Definitely a bonus coming on this one!

Expert:  Joshua C. replied 4 years ago.
I am glad that their wasn't any system file issues. Lets try the next step.

Click on start -> control panel -> in the top right corner look for view by: and set it to small icons (or large icons) -> Then click on administrative tools -> Services

In the services window click on name so all the services are sorted by name. Scroll down until you see Windows Installer. Right click on Windows Installer and select stop (if its not grayed out). Then right click on the Windows Installer again and select properties and make sure its set to start-up type: manual.

Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm not able to select Start/Stop or any of those tasks, but was able to see in Properties that it's set to Manual.

Expert:  Joshua C. replied 4 years ago.
Ok Next thing to try is press ctrl + alt + del on your keyboard and select task manager. Then select the services tab and then click on Description. Scroll through the list until you see Windows Installer.

Does it show that Windows Installer is stopped?

Please note that this is a different services window than the previous step.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi - no, it shows as still Running. Tried right-clicking to Stop it, but I recieved an "access denied" message.

Expert:  Joshua C. replied 4 years ago.
That's actually good because I now know the next step to take.

At the command prompt, type msiexec.exe /unregister, and then press ENTER.

Type msiexec /regserver, and then press ENTER.

Then try and install any program.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi again - I was able to complete the step, but still getting the same error messages...

Expert:  Joshua C. replied 4 years ago.
Are you able now to install other programs? can you open Word and Power point documents?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Nope - exact same messages for opening programs or installing. Should I try restarting again after putting in the messages above?

Expert:  Joshua C. replied 4 years ago.
Yes reboot and then let me know what happens