Bryan, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Have been using MS Office since
59162784

how to code an editable, pop up text box attached to a single

how to code an editable, pop up text box attached to a single cell in 2007 Excel
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  replied 1 year ago.

Customer:

Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Customer:

Are you referring to the "Comments" box in a cell?

Customer:

If the "Comments" box works for you, how do you want to activate the box? You can enter data into the cell, double-click on it, or there are a few other options. Let me know.

Customer :

Nope, my users don't know how to use comments. This is for a sales tracking sheet. I have attached the worksheet I am working off of. My users will enter up to 50 rows of data and the last 3 columns will be text for comments, updates and followup. If I just format with auto fit and wrap text I could have one cell that is 3 inches in height. That does not make a pleasant or tidy spreadsheet. So I want to have the user click on the cell, have a pop up text box where they can enter what they want and then when they go to the next cell it disappers but I can go back and view the text if needed.

Customer :

I can't attach the sheet - here is an image of what I mean

Customer :

Full Size Image

Customer :

Columns K, L and M need to have text entered by the user. I don't want to limit the amount. As you can see I entered a comment but but my users will not know how to view, enter or edit. I want them to be able to click on a cell ie K2, L2 or M2 and enter text in a pop up text box that will go away when they move to another cell. Make sense?

Customer:

It does. But there's no way to attach code to a cell itself. We can act on an action (like entering something into one of those fields, or double clicking on one of those cells). I can give you the code you need to automatically pop up the comment box when one of those actions is performed. And it will automatically be hidden when they leave the cell automatically. Would that work?

Customer :

I think that would work.

Customer :

So, user would doubleclick the cell, enter text, hit enter and the box would go away but would still be accessible if someone goes back to that cell.

Customer:

Exactly

Customer :

then that would work

Customer :

so what do I need to do on my end

Customer :

I am just trying to have a streamlined worksheet without huge cells with text

Customer:

I'll write up the code first, then I will show you how to enter it. First though, do you know how to enable "Developer" options in 2007? I'm using 2010 so I can't give you the exact method right now. But if you can't find it I will look it up for you.

Customer :

yup I do

Customer :

I have been playing with userforms etc today trying to figure out a solution but I am a newbie

Customer:

No problem at all. Give me a few to write the code for you. I'll write again as soon as it's done.

Customer :

step by step is fabulous

Customer :

you rock thanks

Customer:

No problem at all. Talk to you soon.

Customer :

thanks

Customer:

Should the comment be editable after the initial entry has been made?

Customer:

Actually, should this be a comment after all? Or just a "free flow" way of entering data into the cell?

Customer :

Just free flow? The users are sales folks so they just need a way to keep track where the super can check in and see where they are in the process

Customer:

Open Excel and hit Alt+F11

Customer :

ok

Customer :

vb pops up

Customer:

Do you have a worksheet already open?

Customer :

yup

Customer:

Excellent. Copy and past the text into the "Worksheet" object. Then save it as a macro-enabled document.

Customer :

I am under developer

Customer:

Go into VBA. Double-click the "ThisWorkBook" object. Then paste the text I sent into it.

Customer :

I don't think I did it righ

Customer :

ok

Customer:

Ok, see the code?

Customer :

ok went to VBA clicked on This Workseet in Nav

Customer :

pasted code in

Customer :

top says

Customer:

Excellent. Now do file-save and select a macro-enabled workbook. I think it's the second option.

Customer :

Workbook and then Sheet before Double Click

Customer:

Ok, good

Customer:

Tell me when it's saved.

Customer :

it is

Customer:

Ok, close VBA. he go double-click on K2

Customer:

he = then

Customer:

My fingers are moving too fast. ;)

Customer :

:-)

Customer :

I double click and nothing so I must have done something wrong

Customer:

No problem. One sec. I am going to upload the workbook I used as a test. That way you can see what needs to be done.

Customer :

ok

Customer :

I think I got it

Customer :

hold on

Customer:

ok

Customer :

ok so I get the enter comment box

Customer :

I am playing with text how do I get the comment box to go away?

Customer:

Move your mouse away from K2. It should go away automatically.

Customer :

I had to change the setting to show/hide comment

Customer:

ahhh ... ok

Customer :

can I duplicate the coding for more rows?

Customer:

I think I had done that part manually. Sorry.

Customer :

np so I can duplicate for more rows?

Customer:

Yep. Do you see the test condition at the 3rd or 4th row? Just add more conditions to match there.

Customer :

yup

Customer :

so and no way to change comment command to a text box command?

Customer:

Nope. The inputbox is the best we can do. I tried playing with the size a bit, but the best I could do was change the popup position.

Customer :

ok, then this is GREAT

Customer:

Excellent! I'm glad you like it. :) Let me know if you need anything else. And keep my name handy if you ever need help again. I'm more than happy. :)

Customer :

This is great

Customer :

how do I pay you

Customer:

All you do is click the rating below. That will close the question and send payment. I appreciate it. Have a great night!

Customer :

thank you

Bryan, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: Have been using MS Office since
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can't figure out how to duplicate the fucntion going down the column can I not use this type?

"$K$2" use "$K$2:$K$100"

I can get it to work if I do another string of $K$3 but that would take forever there has to be a shorter way.

Thoughts?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Give me just a minute. I have to run back upstairs.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Change:

If (Target.Address = "$K$2") Or (Target.Address = "$L$2") Or (Target.Address = "$M$2") Then

to read:

If (Target.Column = 11) Or (Target.Column = 12) Or (Target.Column = 13) Then

That will affect all rows in K, L, M columns.