Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues

Im using an access database for cases and one of the reports

Customer Question

I'm using an access database for cases and one of the reports is set up to list all incidents based on the offense or by the MO. Many of the cases have multiple offenses so when the report is run off the MO a case is listed multiple times. How can I limit the return so only the primary offense will show up?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and welcome

Which version of MS Access are you using?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's my first time using this site for help. I've got Access 2010

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Tyna

Can you upload the database using

www.wikisend.com

When you upload the file, it gives you are download link.

Give me this link and I can alter the report to do this for you

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The data is sensative so can I save the database as something else and dump the tables/information but keep the form set up? It also appends from a different database in that report.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ill try to explain what you need to do Tyna but it may not work depending on how your data is structured

Right click on the report and choose Sorting and Groupig

Make a Group for the Case

Make sure the CASE field is in the Case Header that appears, not in the Detail

It will than diplsay one case and multiple incidents

Let me know if you have difficulties please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure if I did that right but it did not work. I'll dummy up a database and copy the report and try sending it to you. I've got a meeting soon so have to go. When I'm ready will our discussion still be here so I can follow the instructions to send you the database?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes it will Tyna

I am off line for the next 8 hours, so no rush

Upload the dummy database, give me the download link (www.wikisend.com gives this to you) and i will do it and give it back to you

Just post a message here when you have uploaded please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good...thank you!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome Tyna!

Till later

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard,

I've uploaded the file to wikisend and the # XX XXXXXX.

The database form MAIN is where I choose the criteria for the GeneralReport. I'd like to be able to run the report and not have the same incident pop up multiple times on the form. It does that if there is more than 1 MO and if I choose the Offense theft and under that incident there is theft, Auto theft, etc.

I hope that makes sense. I'd like to know how you fix this as I'm hoping to learn as I go with this database.

Thank you much!! Tyna

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tyna

I get an error when trying to open the file. This can happen if it does not upload correctly

Can you upload it again please?

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
sorry, I still cannot open it.

I have Access 2007 so this is the reason most likely

Can I make an example DB that you could look at?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sure! Tonight I can also try to save as an earlier version? Just let me know.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Good thinking Tyna

Save as earlier version.

You cant do to 2007, but do to 2003 doing this

On the File tab, click Save & Publish.
Under Save Database As, do one of the following:
To save a copy of the database in a format that can be opened by using Access 2002 or later, click Access 2002 - 2003 Database (*.mdb).

Than upload please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I get a message that says "cannot save database to an earlier format because it uses features that require the current file format.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, thats also why I cannot open it

I will make a dummy example

Shall I do it this way

Incident
Multiple offences

And show a report with one incident and multiple offences?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll try anything!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Download and look at this Tyna

http://wikisend.com/download/405634/Tyna.accdb

TMail is the correct way for the report

TMainNotGood is how you have it

Look at it and ask me if you do not understand please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm trying to add the incident header and and have not quite figured it out...just started. I wanted to let you know as soon as I do and it works I'm going to rate you with high marks. I just want to wait until it does work.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
agXXXX, XXXt want it any other way

Do a new report, use the report wizard, one of the steps is Grouping

Group on Incident

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I thought I sent a message yesterday. The grouping did not prevent duplicate entries from the report...it just removed the incident number.

Incident 123

Offense Theft Date: 1/1/13 Location: xyz

MO: scrap metal, gang involved

next line does not show the incident number but it's the same one and then lists the next offence for that incident along with the MO's.

Incident area blank (same as before)

Offense narcotics Date: 1/1/13 Location: xyz

MO: scrap metal, gang involved

When I run a report off MO how can I get the report to show only one entry for the incident.

Incident 123

Offense Theft, Narcotics Date: 1/1/13 Location: xyz

MO: scrap metal, gang involved

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Does the report have the Incident Number in the header like on the sample I showed you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes...ONLY the incident is in the Incident Header.

'Details' contain everything else that goes with the incident. There are at times multiple offenses to one case number XXXXX with multiple MO's. Not sure if that matters.

Thanks, Tyna

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Do the following please Tyna

Look at the report with the problem

Press CTRL+PRTSC on your keyboard

Click start, type in MSPAINT and press enter

Press CTRL+V

this will save a screenshot

Save this as a picture and upload to www.wikisend.com and give me the download link please