Thank you for waiting.
The first option for you is to password-protect your Windows user account and DO NOT share your password XXXXX your kids. In this case, when you turn on the computer and Windows XP loads, you will get a login screen and you cannot get past the login without the correct password. Now, your user account is protected with a password XXXXX do not share the password XXXXX your kids so that ONLY YOU can access your account.
Now, if you password-protected your account, please CREATE a NEW user account of type "Guest" or "Standard" user so that your kids can use your laptop. In this case, DO NOT password XXXXX this Guest or Standard account so that they can login without a password. It is important that the user account that you create is NOT an Administrator account so that your kids cannot install anything from the internet that will harm your system.
With this approach, you do not need to password-protect your My Documents since they cannot see your files when they are logged in to the Guest account unless they manually locate your files. But in the surface, they only see THEIR user profile, their My Documents folder, and all similar folders with yours but your OWN folders are stored in your own user profile.
With this method you will end up with 2 user accounts - one that is your original and is password-protected and the other that is Guest account that is NOT password XXXXX
To add a NEW user account (Guest account), please do this:
- Go to Start => Control Panel
- Open User Accounts then click on Create New User
- There choose the user type as Guest ot Standard user (as long as NOT an Administrator)
- Then create the account
- When created, go back to User Accounts then click your original user account
- Then Password XXXXX the original account and DO NOT give this password XXXXX your kids
- Then close all windows then restart the computer
- You will then get a password XXXXX In that login screen, when you click on the original account name, you are prompted for a password. When you click on the Guest user account, you are immediately signed in.
Now, regarding web surfing, indeed Windows Content Advisor is NOT a complete solution. In fact, there is NO complete solution for this scenario. My suggestion for this is NOT to use Internet Explorer. I suggest that you install Firefox. Please try to download, install and use Firefox as an alternative browser. Firefox is FREE. It is a better, safer and faster web browser. Please click on this link to download Firefox: http://firefox.com
With Firefox, there are several add-ons that you can use to BLOCK the contents of the websites.
When you installed Firefox, you can then use add-ons that will block websites that are porn-sites and other harmful sites.
Here are the steps to use Add-ons in Firefox:
- Open your Firefox browser
- Click on the Firefox menu then locate Add-ons
- Then click on Extensions
- In the small search box at the top, type "web filter" then press Enter to start the search
- Then locate teh WebFilter Pro in the results
- Then click on the INSTALL button to install it
- Here is my screen shot:
- Then you can redo the process and install other blocking add-ons that you think fits your requirements
- You need to restart Firefox for the Add-ons to take effect
- Then you can delete the Internet Explorer icon in the Guest account so that your kids will be forced to use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer. You need to restart the computer then sign in to the Guest account and delete the Internet Explorer icon, the blue 'e' icon so that they have no way of starting Internet Explorer but will then use Firefox
Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) once you have all the
information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!