Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

TECH TEAMI have a Windows 2007XP program / Int Exp 8Regarding

TECH TEAM
I have a Windows 2007XP program / Int Exp 8
Regarding Parental Control or Security....
A. How do I password XXXXX a website?
Content advisor doesnt work and is too broad
B. How do I password XXXXX My Docs Folders?
Thx, Tim
Direct email:XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.

Regarding how to password-protect a website, are you referring to websites that you created or you own and you want to password-protect it from your readers or audience? Or are you referring to blocking a website from your browser through a password?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry...it really falls under Parental Control Guidelines...

for example how do I Password XXXXX a specific website?

IE: Google, Craigslist, etc

the built in "Content Advisor" works, but is too broad...it messes with legitimate sites also

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tim,

Thank you for that information. I want to know your actual scenario so that I can give you the best approach to solving it.

I believe you are concern about your kids using the same computer that you are using and you want to LIMIT their browsing of the internet by password XXXXX the websites that you don't want them to browse. Is this correct?

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes Exactly,

I have a laptop that just seeming manages to migrate to their bedrooms......

I must be able to add this protection...& then only I know the password

this stops them in their tracks

Plan B... is if i can also add "password XXXXX" to specific My Docs Folders

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Tim,

Are you saying that your kids USE your laptop and bring it to their bedrooms so you want to LIMIT their use of it specially the browsing of the internet?

Is this laptop running with Windows XP? Please confirm on this so that I can provide the best approach for your problem.

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes Exactly!!!

Windows 2007 XP

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Tim,

Thank you for that confirmation.

There are 2 approaches that I have in mind now specific or suited for your scenario. Please give me a moment while I type the solution/recommendation. I will get back to you in a little while.

Regards,
Jess
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Tim,

Thank you for waiting.

The first option for you is to password-protect your Windows user account and DO NOT share your password XXXXX your kids. In this case, when you turn on the computer and Windows XP loads, you will get a login screen and you cannot get past the login without the correct password. Now, your user account is protected with a password XXXXX do not share the password XXXXX your kids so that ONLY YOU can access your account.

Now, if you password-protected your account, please CREATE a NEW user account of type "Guest" or "Standard" user so that your kids can use your laptop. In this case, DO NOT password XXXXX this Guest or Standard account so that they can login without a password. It is important that the user account that you create is NOT an Administrator account so that your kids cannot install anything from the internet that will harm your system.

With this approach, you do not need to password-protect your My Documents since they cannot see your files when they are logged in to the Guest account unless they manually locate your files. But in the surface, they only see THEIR user profile, their My Documents folder, and all similar folders with yours but your OWN folders are stored in your own user profile.

With this method you will end up with 2 user accounts - one that is your original and is password-protected and the other that is Guest account that is NOT password XXXXX

To add a NEW user account (Guest account), please do this:
  1. Go to Start => Control Panel
  2. Open User Accounts then click on Create New User
  3. There choose the user type as Guest ot Standard user (as long as NOT an Administrator)
  4. Then create the account
  5. When created, go back to User Accounts then click your original user account
  6. Then Password XXXXX the original account and DO NOT give this password XXXXX your kids
  7. Then close all windows then restart the computer
  8. You will then get a password XXXXX In that login screen, when you click on the original account name, you are prompted for a password. When you click on the Guest user account, you are immediately signed in.

Now, regarding web surfing, indeed Windows Content Advisor is NOT a complete solution. In fact, there is NO complete solution for this scenario. My suggestion for this is NOT to use Internet Explorer. I suggest that you install Firefox. Please try to download, install and use Firefox as an alternative browser. Firefox is FREE. It is a better, safer and faster web browser. Please click on this link to download Firefox:

http://firefox.com
Or
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/fx/#desktop

With Firefox, there are several add-ons that you can use to BLOCK the contents of the websites.

When you installed Firefox, you can then use add-ons that will block websites that are porn-sites and other harmful sites.

Here are the steps to use Add-ons in Firefox:
  1. Open your Firefox browser
  2. Click on the Firefox menu then locate Add-ons
  3. Then click on Extensions
  4. In the small search box at the top, type "web filter" then press Enter to start the search
  5. Then locate teh WebFilter Pro in the results
  6. Then click on the INSTALL button to install it
  7. Here is my screen shot:

8. Then you can redo the process and install other blocking add-ons that you think fits your requirements
  9. You need to restart Firefox for the Add-ons to take effect
  10. Then you can delete the Internet Explorer icon in the Guest account so that your kids will be forced to use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer. You need to restart the computer then sign in to the Guest account and delete the Internet Explorer icon, the blue 'e' icon so that they have no way of starting Internet Explorer but will then use Firefox

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) once you have all the
information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mr. Jess

wow that's alot of explaining!

A. I fully understand the multiple user accts scenerio...

in real life that is very limited...doesnt provide the protection I'm looking

for .

B. I also understand the Firefox optional browser idea...just not real

practical

C. Is there no program i can "add-on" to Int Explorer????

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Tim,

Firefox is a stable web browser that is free and has a lot of free add-ons that you can use to fit your browsing needs. However, Internet Explorer is made the default browser since it is shipped with ANY version of MS Windows.

Also, Internet Explorer has a limited functionality and expandability when in terms of add-ons. Here are the list of Add-ons for Internet Explorer that you can try:

http://download.cnet.com/windows/internet-explorer-add-ons-plugins/3150-12512_4-0-3.html?&rpp=&tag=narrow

Now, the most related add-ons are not free. Here are the top content filtering add-ons:
http://download.cnet.com/Website-Block/3000-12512_4-10694772.html

Or this one:
http://download.cnet.com/FilterGate/3000-12512_4-10065669.html

They are commercial programs but you can try them first before you buy them.

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

MR JESS

I'm the disappointed Customer, I autrhorized my credit card for a purchase that has got me nowhere!

I had hoped for a direct answer to add-on software to work with my system.

I explained my system: Windows 2007 XP/ Int. Exp 8 on the opening line

of my enquiry. this is not some Prehistoric Dinosaur system

I did a little asking around today, spoke with technicians I have met

My list from today only is of EIGHT COMPANIES

Most of which I'm told offer FREE Parental Control Software

I'll pursue checking out this list of companies

I'll thank you for your replies...but they are not was I was asking for!!!

I dont know how/what I'm supposed to do now

I guess I'll just wait for your reply

Tim

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Tim,

I am sorry if you found my answer not useful. I was focusing on your request for Internet Explorer "Add-ons", which means programs to work with Internet Explorer since you don't want to use another browser like Firefox.

Another approach here is installing stand-alone programs to manage web browsing. They are not just add-ons, they are programs that you will install where you can then manage how your kids use the internet. That is, this is regardless as to whether you are using Internet Explorer or not. Just give them a try so that you can test if it fits your requirements. Here are the links:

http://www.qustodio.com/

With that software, please watch the into movie in the front page to learn the features at a glance.

Here is a second tool that you can try as well:
http://www1.k9webprotection.com/

With this tool, one of its features is to override a website block by a password, which is what you intent to have.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mr Jess

I've tried to access the 2 links you provided...they are blocked on this business machine.

I'll have to try and get the Admin team to approve these links

You have "tried hard"....but I still I've been short changed by spending $40

for no helpfull/usable info

It will be into next week before I can get Admin approval

So for now I'm not happy

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Tim,

Please take your time. The software that I recommended you in the last two links will be helpful in your goal of protecting your kids on how they use computers and the internet.

You can copy the links and try them in the laptop where you intend to install them. You can review their features before actually trying the programs.

Thank you.

Regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jess

I'm still not able to access/download suggested info

How can i be assured I'm not being charged for something I cant even use??
Tim

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Tim,

Are you referring to the software that I recommended for you? Those 2 software programs that I gave you were all free. In your home computer, the one that you are using or the one that your kids are also using, please try to use it to download the 2 software programs that I gave you and test each one of them to see if it fits your requirements.

If you are referring to this service of ours, well, we guarantee our service. If you are not satisfied with our service, you still have your deposited money in your account and you can use it any time to post another question. You can request a refund also if you want.

Thank you.

Regards,
Jess
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jess

Along with this answer; not what I was looking for,

What do you mean about my "account" vs a credit?

For me..$40 is a lot of money...

I had a Catastrophic Work Injury over a year ago...and on Total Disability

ever since...cant work...not even medically released to try and "work"

Please tell me what I should do or what you are willing to do for me???

Please reply

Thx, Tim

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Tim,

Thank you for writing back. I am sorry to hear about your condition. If you find my answer not helpful, then I understand if you will not accept my answer or rate my answer positively.

Regarding the fees, I believe that you made a deposit. That means your credit card or bank is already charged. But the deposited money is still in your JustAnswer.com account and you can use it to ask questions in the future. You can also ask for a refund if that is what you want. We guarantee our service.

Click on this link for more information:
Contact Us

Thank you for using our service.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jess

I would like to conclude this session 2 ways

1. I would like to give you credit for dutifully helping...I dont know which smiley face to choose

2. Due to my physicall and financial condition...I would like to ask for Monetary Credit

How do I go about all this???

Thx, Tim

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Tim,

I suggest that you click on the link below:
Contact Us

In that page you can contact our site Administrators or moderators on accounting matters You can ask help from our moderators to adjust the question value so that you can get the rest of your deposit as refund while paying a small amount to me.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jess

OK...I'll try it

Tim

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX your time.

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jess

did I do it right???

Tim

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tim,

I don't know but I suggest that you call our customer service so that they can assist you with your resuest. Here is the link:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/phone

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jess

OK Thx.......I spoke with Cust Svc

I rated service as "OK"

They are going to send me a partial credit

keep smiling & Thx!!

I'll be back one day

Tim

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Tim, take care!

Regards,
Jess