Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  B.S. Electrical & Computer Engineering, 20+ years technical experience

I am running outlook 2010 on a 64 bit system. I also have

I am running outlook 2010 on a 64 bit system. I also have adobe acrobat 9.0 pro. I used to be able to create PDF files from my outlook files, but the addin appears to be inactive, and I can't activate it. I really like to archive my emails with the PDF portfolio option, but how can I do it?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Viet -MS Office Tech replied 1 year ago.

Viet - MS Office Tech :

Hi, I will assist with this issue,

Viet - MS Office Tech :

Did you go to File Tab->Options->Addins”.

• Select “COM Add-ins” in the Manage drop-down at the bottom of the ”Options->Addins” window and click “Go”. Note: To get to the Options window, click on the File tab first.

• , and make sure all the pdf/adobe item(s) are enabled/checked, then click OK and check?

Viet - MS Office Tech :

restart outlook/computer as needed.

Viet - MS Office Tech :

If needed, see more details below (scroll down):
http://itshi-tech.blogspot.com/2012/05/pdfmaker-is-missingunavailable-office.html

Viet - MS Office Tech :

For archiving emails with pdf, please see the video at
http://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/how-convert-outlook-email-pdf (it's for acrobat x/10, but is similar with version 9)

Viet - MS Office Tech :

Also, please check if you are able to print anything else to pdf file, such as Word documents or web pages, etc.

Viet - MS Office Tech :

Please let me know if there is still any issue, thank you,

Customer:

I did what you originally suggested, and it won't activate. I know how to convert outlook emails to pdf once I get the add-in activated.

Viet - MS Office Tech :

Sorry, did you restart the computer? Can you click Start->All programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore and restore the computer to any date before this issue has occurred, and check? If that still does not work, can you uninstall/reinstall Adobe Acrobat?

Customer:

I really don't know when the problem started happening, and I really don't want to restore my computer to over an year ago. I am attempting to repair acrobat right now.

Viet - MS Office Tech :

oh sorry, you cannot restore that far anyway. OK, repair acrobat, if it still does not work, uninstall adobe acrobat and reader, then restart the computer and reinstal it.

Customer:

Will do - it will be awhile - it looks that reconfiguring will take about 30 minutes. I will get back to you.

Viet - MS Office Tech :

OK, please take your time. Thank you,

Customer:

Well none of that worked - any other ideas?

Viet - MS Office Tech :

Sorry, so you did uninstall/reinstall adobe acrobat? Can you try to disable/enable pdf add-in again? Can you check if you are able to print anything else to pdf file, such as Word documents or web pages, etc.?

Customer:

Yes. I did On the Com Add-in manager, there is a message under "Load behavior" that say "Not loaded, a runtime error occurred during the loading of the Com Add in. And yes I can print anything else to PDF files including single emails. But I want to create a porfolio of an outlook file, which I could do, and now I can't.

Viet - MS Office Tech :

Sorry, let's try to uninstall another way: download and install the Revo Uninstaller program at
http://www.revouninstaller.com/start_freeware_download.html
, then open it, and select Adobe Acrobat, then click on Uninstall
, then select the Advanced option , then select all whenever prompted, and delete and confirm
, then restart the computer, and reinstall acrobat and check.

Customer:

Ok - did it - now the plug in is disabled. There obviously isn't any fix that youve suggested.

Viet - MS Office Tech :

Sorry, so you've reinstalled again, but it did not work. Let me open the issue to other Professionals. Thank you,

Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your Microsoft , but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Lindie

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I really needed to get this resolved today. Since it apparently is not possible, I would like to cancel this question until later in the month. I will not have access to my computer for several days, so I am assuming that I can reopen the dialog at a later date under a new question.

Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

Lindie

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hi there my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to assist you.

I'm sorry that you didn't have much success with the prior professional. I did some digging around and found out that Outlook 2010 is not compatible with Acrobat 9 for the purpose that you are describing (see: http://www.brucebnews.com/2011/07/saving-email-in-an-acrobat-portfolio/) I suspect that it was working before you upgraded to Outlook 2010 correct? You will need Acrobat X or later for full support of your Outlook portfolio.

"Here are some of the real world considerations.

• Acrobat 8 can open Portfolios created by Acrobat 9 and Acrobat X, but it will display a warning message and some features will not display identically – although that’s not likely to be a problem for files used only for email messages. It will cause less fuss if everyone has Acrobat 9 or X.
  • This can only be done with the Acrobat buttons installed in Outlook. If you have Outlook 2010, this is only possible with Acrobat X. Adobe never updated Acrobat 9 to integrate it with Office 2010.
  • Unfortunately, Windows Search will not index the contents of a PDF Portfolio; you can’t do a search from Windows and find results inside the Portfolio. You can, however, open the Portfolio and search the contents using Acrobat’s built-in search tool.
  • This only works well if everyone remembers to include Sent messages as well as incoming mail.
  • The Portfolios might become bloated and unwieldy in a busy office, especially if file attachments are flying around as a pleading is drafted or a contract is negotiated. Although Acrobat can technically handle a file that is 1Gb or 2Gb or more, huge files are slow to open, slow to copy, and prone to corruption. A busy office will be well-advised to come up with a system to create new archives at regular intervals – every month, or every year – and include the date in the file name so it’s obvious at a glance."

I hope that clarifies things. I would recommend downloading a 30-day full trial of Acrobat XI to see if that resolves your issue (http://www.adobe.com/go/tryacrobatpro/)

Let me know if that helps and if you have further questions,

Dr. Dan, Computer Software Engineer
Experience: B.S. Electrical & Computer Engineering, 20+ years technical experience