ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  15 years as a professional computer technician.
56108293

Word 2007 is saving my files as .docx- how do I stop that

Word 2007 is saving my files as '.docx'- how do I stop that and convert them to '.doc'?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  ChrisC replied 1 year ago.

ChrisC :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be happy to help you today!

ChrisC :

By default documents are always saved as Docx in Word 2007 but that can be changed!

ChrisC :

Heres how:

ChrisC :

Open word

ChrisC :

Click the big Office button in the top left corner

ChrisC :

Click the "Word Options" button in this menu

ChrisC :

Click on the "Save" Tab

ChrisC :

Chane the drop down box labeled "Save files in this format" to "Word 97-2003 (*.doc)

ChrisC :

Hit ok

ChrisC :

That should be it

ChrisC :

Now all of your documents will default to .doc instead!

ChrisC :

Just let me know if you have any trouble with that!

ChrisC :

Otherwise please remember to rate my answer!

ChrisC :

(There should be an option to do so on your screen)

ChrisC :

Thanks!

Customer:

there is an option when I save-as that allows this manually (but I already followed your instructions), but now how do I check to verify ( I'm novice level)

ChrisC :

Just open up a new word document, type something into it, and then save it

ChrisC :

Then check the file to see what format it is in

Customer:

It doesn't show the extension

ChrisC :

Try right clikcing it and choosing properties

ChrisC :

Does it say in there?

ChrisC :

It should be under "Type of File"

ChrisC :

See it?

Customer:

no properties option

ChrisC :

When you right click the actual file?

ChrisC :

You are using Windows, right?

ChrisC :

What I mean is not open in Word, but instead browsing to where the file is saved and right clicking it

Customer:

ok yes windows

Customer:

let me try this again- it didn't save the file

ChrisC :

Ok Ill stand by. No worries!

Customer:

I couldn't find it, but it saved without question, so it's somewhere. on the screen, the file name also says 'compatibility mode'

Customer:

I'll try another file

ChrisC :

Ok do this

ChrisC :

When you go to save as, try selecting your desktop as the location to save too. Then you will know for sure where it is.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

desktop took me to the save library I was at

ChrisC :

Can you elaborate?

Customer:

but I noticed it was highlighted on 'disc c' at the first save

ChrisC :

ok do this

ChrisC :

Go to start and click computer

ChrisC :

then click the c drive

ChrisC :

do you see the documents in here?

ChrisC :

If not try clikcing "documents" on the left in this Window

ChrisC :

What about in there

ChrisC :

If that doesnt work, then save a new document called "test" and we will runa search for it

Customer:

saved as test- don't have in the file. So what now

ChrisC :

Ok what version of windows do you have?

Customer:

I don't know, but a geek friend says I can't buy anything not compatible with 64 bit system does that help?

ChrisC :

A little bit. Why dont you try this

ChrisC :

Go to the start menu and choose computer

ChrisC :

Then in the new window you will see a search bar at the top roght that says "Search Computer"

ChrisC :

In that bar type

ChrisC :

test.doc

ChrisC :

and hit enter

ChrisC :

See if it finds it

ChrisC :

Any luck?

Customer:

windows 7 got a lot of 'test.docxxxxx, but no just test.doc

Customer:

windows 7 I got a lot of test. docxxxxx , but no just test.doc

ChrisC :

Ok

ChrisC :

Lets taker a look at the setting again

ChrisC :

Open up this document and it has pictures and instructions on exactly where to go to change it

ChrisC :

Click here

ChrisC :

Follow those thoroughly and then lets test again

ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: 15 years as a professional computer technician.
Expert:  ChrisC replied 1 year ago.
I noticed you rated (appreciated) and left chat. Just let me know if you still need assistance by replying here.
Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It took you so long to acknowledge or reply, I felt you done. One remaining problem was how I could verify that they were being saved as '.doc'. It's so simple... When 'saving as' You get a final chance to save or not.. AT THAT POINT, CLICK ON THE FILE NAME. The file name will change to edit mode. DELETE ONE CHARACTER FROM THE FILE NAME. a second line will appear beneath the file name - COMPLETE WITH EXTENSION!!!!! Then all you have to do is replace the deleted character, and SAVE, because you know what the extension is.

All those files I saved WERE THERE, but because I had file mode set to 'WORD DOCUMENTS', they wouldn't show. WHEN I CHANGED TO 'ALL WORD DOCUMENTS' the files (joy to the world, test) were all there. I'm happy as a clam in mating season. Thank you for your EXCELLENT HELP, and encouragement to try things. May you be in the lap of God a week before the angel of death knows you're gone. Thanks also for getting back with me. eric

Expert:  ChrisC replied 1 year ago.
Great I am glad you were able to get it sorted it!
Also, I am sorry it appeared I dissapeared from chat. We must have been having a chat issue because I was actually there right up until the time you rated me. I guess you just couldn't see my replies.

Nevertheless, have a great day!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You were excellent thanks a bunch.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
I didn't find another place to rate you

But you tops

Expert:  ChrisC replied 1 year ago.
Thank You!