Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Users cant send internal email through Outlook but can through

Users cant send internal email through Outlook but can through Web Access. When I click on Address Book, error code "The connection to microsoft exchange is unavailable. outlook must be online or connected to complete action"
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

Is this all of your users? Can you tell me what version of Outlook and Exchange you are running? Do you have access to the server?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Installed Exchange 2010 over the weekend, users have both Outlook2007 and Outlook2010. Yes its all users

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
OK was the Exchange 2010 install a migration from an earlier version? If so, did you keep both servers online long enough for Outlook to auto-migrate from the old server to the new?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, the issue I have now is when I open a user I have to do the following for 2010 Outlook:

. Through Outlook automatic it findsXXX@XXXXXX.XXX, click next
2. Goes to "search forXXX@XXXXXX.XXX" server settings, errors out
2. Exchange messagebox comes up with Servername & mailbox name.
2.a If I put in the exchange server name (mail1) and click on check name it bombs out
2.b If I put in the GC from that site IP address (192.168.0.1) and click on check name, the server name changes back to mail1.org.local and after an extended period of time it works.

For Outlook2007 users, they generally just have to enter the username and password XXXXX and it picks up the new server -mail1.

Although both still can't send internal mail so the names don't resolve because the global address list wont load

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
OK in Outlook of any of the problem computers, what is the status? Offline, Disconnected, connected to Exchange?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They are connected to Exchange and can receive mail, send external mail but not internal mail.

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
Ah OK, so it sounds like the Offline Address Book just isn't generating correctly. Here is what I would like you to try first:

1. Open Exchange Management Console on the Exchange Server.
  2. Go into Organization Configuration.
  3. Go into Mailbox.
  4. Click the Offline Address Book tab.
  5. Right click the Default Offline Address Book and choose Properties.
  6. Click the Distribution tab.
  7. Make sure the first four boxes are checked (do not worry about the Public Folders box).
  8. Click the Add button if you don't see your server in the list and add your server.
  9. Click the Address Lists tab.
  10. Make sure the Global Address List is checked.
  11. Click OK.

After doing that, on any Outlook client go to the Send/Receive menu and attempt to download the offline address book. Hopefully it will now work and you will be able to send internal email.

Let me know if you get hung up on a step or if it doesn't work; I will be here. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Doesn't work, when I go to Account Settings, download Address Book it comes up iwth error (0x8004010f): The operation failed. An object cannot be found

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
OK let's check one more setting in EMC.

1. Go into Organization Configuration again.
  2. Click on Offline Address List again.
  3. Click on the default list and click on Move in the lower right hand corner.
  4. When the move wizard opens, does it show the old server or the new in the generation server blank?
  5. if it says the old server, please click on Browse then choose the new server.
  6. Click Move and the move should be successful.

After doing that please try downloading the Address Book again. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The new server name

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
Ah OK that isn't it either then. Did you have to change anything in my first set of instructions? If so, please click the Update link in the EMC. See if you get any error messages. If you don't, please restart Outlook on a client and attempt the download again. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No errors, restart outlook still not downloading. If I go into the web app I can see the global address list, just not in Outlook. Would it have to do with the weird way in which I have to put the users on, ie:

Through Outlook automatic it findsXXX@XXXXXX.XXX, click next

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
No don't worry that is normal; depending on how DNS is configured on your network you will have to input the GC instead of the Exchange server. OWA will work because it doesn't use the OAB, only Outlook clients use that.

Can you go into the following folder on your Exchange server:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\OAB

Is there a folder there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, previously I stopped the File Distribution Service, renamed oab to oabold, did a set-remove globaladressbook, new-globaladdressbook. New oab folder appeared and restarted the file dist service, nothing changed

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
Hm okay well that was going to be my next suggestion! Do your client computers have the GC as the primary DNS server?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there are multiple gc's in the forest that all route to the exchange server

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
OK the last thing I know to check would be to recreate the Outlook profile on one of the clients. Does it work correctly if you create the profile from scratch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I recreate a profile for a user i have to do the above but it works, outlook loads, just not sending internal email

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
OK in that case it looks like you will need to recreate the entire OAB directory. An enterprising mind on experts-exchange has written a pretty great walkthrough here:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Server_Software/Email_Servers/Exchange/A_5064-9-Steps-to-end-OAB-nightmares.html

It has some of the steps you have already performed, but it is a bit more involved. That is about the last thing I can suggest for this issue, so hopefully it does the trick. After performing the steps I have seen it take a bit of time to recreate the OAB files.

Please let me know if you run into any snags running the steps. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no luck, i created a new address list called default, went into ems and did update-offlineaddressbook -identity mail1/default. its come up with an error saying object cant be found on 'oldserver' (ie the previous exchange2007 server that I removed) could it still be referencing the old 2007 server somewhere and thats why the address list is not coming up

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
It sure seems like it; unfortunately we have already changed the references that I am aware of. I'm afraid I will have to opt out and hopefully some other techs around here know of some other references. I'm very sorry I couldn't do more Warren.

This time in the evening it might be tomorrow before another tech picks this up. Good luck sir and sorry again...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, thank you for trying

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and welcome

Do you have the Windows Firewall enabled on the clients?

Also which Anti Virus software are you using?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HI, no firewall is disabled on clients and I am using Symantec Endpoint protection

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
as a test, disable Symantec than test and let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still the same problem, if I try to send an email to an internal name it comes up with the rror Microsoft Office Outlook does not recognize 'user'

If I click on address book it comes up with "The connection to Microsoft Exchange is inavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action

Nothing in the global address list. I can't get the Exchange Address Book service to load, would this have anything to do with it

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
it can

Have the users recently been migrated to a new domain?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, but removed old exchange 2007 and installed new exchange 2010. Global Address List comes up in Outlook Web App, just not outlook

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
have you installed the service pack on Exchange?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=28190

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, version 14.02.0328.009 is runninig

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
With Outlook running hold down the CTRL key and right click the Outlook icon in the taskbar and choose "Test E-mail auto-configuration" and post the results please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Autoconfiguration has started, this may take up to a minute

Autoconfiguration was unable to determine your settings

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, are the in cache mode or not on the client?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If I take Cached mode off outlook I can't load outlook, it comes up with Microsoft Exchange is unavailable - Retry - Work Offline - Cancel

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, so you dont actually seem to be connected ever...

are you connecting rpc over http with outlook clients?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I tell if I am

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
In outlook, go to Account Settings

In the settings on Connection Tab

Click Exchange Proxy Settings

What is specified there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Outlook 2007 Outlook Anywhere Connect to Microsoft Exchange using http is not ticked

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
tick it and fill in the information for your server

use the fully qualified domain name please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thinks about it a bit longer but no luck. When I do the test autoconfiguration it does the same, thinks a bit longer then autoconfiguration was unable to determine your settings

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
tell me the settings you entered please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ticked connect to Microsoft Exchange using HTTP, use this URL to connect to my proxy server for Exchange:

https://mail1.domain.local

Tried with both Connect using ssl only ticked and unticked.

On fast networks ticked

On slow networks ticked

NTLM authentication

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
use

mail1.domain.local

Is this really it? domain ?

And in the below box

msstd:mail1.domain.local

Than test
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Now when it asks for username and password, I enter them it just repeats.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
cancel entering it in

than wait again and try
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
also use \\domain\username
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

still the same

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no luck

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
restart the computer and try again

if it fails, tell me the OWA address for internet please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I resolved my issue, the mail server was setup as a DC and port 6002 was being used, as a result Microsoft Address book service was not loading. Went into regedit and removed key as per article:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchange2010/thread/2d55edb0-8e34-4e02-b87b-d66f725deaf8/?prof=required

restarted the server and everything works.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
That would explain it, you should keep Exchange as just an exchange server and not run other services on it

Good to see your up and running

If I can assist with anything else, please let me know

And please remember to Rate My Service

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Assistance was greatly appreciated, but I solved my on question as stated above in my response to the expert. Thank you for all the contributions however.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, that was understood.

You have the benefit of being there and seeing all elements :)

But main thing it is solved

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I just see you Rated my service as Poor

Thank for that.... Would have been nice if you indicated what else you had on the server... But a poor rating, I think is not justified.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, the way I have looked at it was the answer you gave me was insufficient and that I solved the issue by doing research myself. Your service was excellent but there is no avenue on this format to segregate the difference. If there was a way in which I could write GREAT service but I answered my own problem I would have. Hope that explains that a bit more

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It does to a degree, but please note there are a multitude of reasons why your problem can occur.

The fact that you dissapeared in the middle of our troubleshooting, never allowed us to complete eliminating the reasons for this.

We would have got to the port in use, but this is not a common reason (DC on exchange does not always do this) so I start from the common causes, working with a network I have limited knowledge about (as I did not set it up)

I understand you stopped working with me and solved it yourself, I just am not sure a Poor Rating is justified.

If I had of got to the end of my steps to resolve this, than yes, but you left before we even finished, and I now suffer with this rating...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, and so what would you like me to do so that you can be comfortable with your service whilst taking into account that you service was great but I still researched and answered my own problem

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Rating me OK?

The best was not to rate at all, but as you have it sticks a Poor Rating on me now, if you can at least change this to OK, that would be appreciated.

And if you need help again, just come back to this question, and I will do it under the same one, but I would want a network Map and main services on each Server first! :)

Thanks
Richard, Software Specialist
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues