John D
John D, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant

I have used Microsoft Word on a Mac for many years. I have

I have used Microsoft Word on a Mac for many years. I have a database that is a table in Word of about 1700 rows. For the past few months, when I load the file, select a column, or sort on a column, it takes many seconds to do each operation. Formerly these actions happened almost immediately.

Is this likely the program or my computer?
[email protected]

It could be a corrupted file. You can easily find out if the issue is with the file itself or your system by creating a table in a new file and trying to sort that table. If sorts ok then the problem is in the other file

You can also send me the file and I can check it for you if you like

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If you could check the file that would be great. Where do I send it?

Please go to and upload the file using the Browse button (no need to signup) then copy the "File ID" number (or the download link) that you will be given and paste it here in your reply.

If the file has sensitive information let me know before you upload it

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have uploaded the file - ID#128248. The data is not sensitive.

Got it, thanks

Caryl, I tested sorting the entire table and it took less than 3 secs. The amount of tine depends on your system resources but it should not take longer than 5 secs.

If takes you longer than that let me know which specific fields you are selecting in the sort dialog box

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm usually sorting on the season columns (12-13, 11-12, 10-11, etc. I tried again and the file opened quickly and I selected the 12-13 column. When I tried to pull down the Table menu, nothing happened for awhile. Then the color wheel spun and spun. When it stopped I tried to pull down the menu, got the spinning wheel again. When it stopped, I tried again and the pull-down menu appeared, vanished immediately; I tried again, the menu appeared, vanished. Sometimes the color wheel would spin awhile. Finally the menu appeared and stayed there and I entered my sort specs. The sort didn't take too long, but when I tried to clear the blue shading from the table it did nothing. I couldn't close the

file or do anything else. Very frustrating.

Ok I ran a repair utility on that file which should fix any corruption issues and should make it select and sort faster. Make sure you close all files before opening this one, and also make sure to wait for one issued command to finish before attempting to issue the next command

Attachment: 2013-01-08_015807_fsodatabase1.docx

Hope this helps. If you have any further questions do not hesitate to ask

Thank you for remembering to rate the answer if you found it helpful
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is much faster now but not as fast as it used to be. I need to be more

patient and not issue a new request before the last one is finished.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks Caryl.

Slow performance could also be related to some corruption in your user profile. Try creating a new profile and test the file from that profile. If no change then most likely the issue is in your system resources, in which case you can test the file on another computer to verify this

Thanks again.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not to sound like a complete idiot, but how do I change my user profile?

Sure, here is the step by step instructions for creating a new profile

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

But then everything will still be under the old profile, won't it? I don'twant to create a new profile, just replace the old one. Or won't that have the

Caryldesired effect?

You can keep the old profile and use the new profile just to test that file.

Besides this was only another suggestion attempting to further enhance the speed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay, I'll try that. Thanks...

You're welcome.