Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years

I go to open my excel spreedsheet and i get a window come up

I go to open my excel spreedsheet and i get a window come up saying, there was a problem sending the command to the program
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am glad to assist you today.
  1. Are you using Windows XP, Vista or 7?
  2. Are you using MS Excel 2007 or 2010?
  3. Regarding your Excel, are you still able to open or run the MS Excel program and open other Excel files?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Windows 7

MS Excel 2007

Yes but only spreedsheets saved earlier but they wont open up straight away all i get when i click open is a blue screen

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Stephen,

By "blue screen", are you referring to a system crash showing a blue sceen? Or are you saying that Excel shows "Not Responding" at the top of the window?

Also, when you open MS Excel, will it open normally without any issues? Which means that this problem only happens when you open a particular or specific file?

Let me know.
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It looks like the file goes to open but where the data should be is blue, when i open a new Excel woork book it does the same thing

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Stephen,

We need to know first if the problem is WITH the file, or with Excel itself. Please try to close Excel then go to Start => All Programs => MS Office then open MS Excel. Please tell me if it is able to launch with the blank workbook.

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes it opens fine

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
OK. So it appears that the problem is caused by the file that you wanted to open.

Can you please tell me the size of that file in MB? Or if possible, can you send the file to me so that I can check it myself if it is bloated or corrupted?

You can upload the file in this site:
http://wikisend.com

No need to register there, just upload the file and then wait for the screen shot show the 6-digit File ID. Post the File ID when you reply so that I can download the file.

Regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

File 566278

I can open other files that are already saved by opening them and once the blue screen comes up i go to open excel and my files come up and re click and thay open

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
I see that the file is saved in the older version format. Here is the compatible XLSX file format that is better suited for MS Excel 2007:

http://wikisend.com/download/315468/NH12-1%20-%20WO51168%20-%2084s%20-%20LBRA.xlsx

Please try to open that file then see if it is still causing the blue screen to appear. By the way, is the blue screen only triggered when opening the file that you sent to me?

Let me know.
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I could open that fine, no blue screen appears when i open other files saved on my computer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just saved as the file and it wont open but it opens on the download

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Stephen,

Were you able to download the file that I gave you? That file is in the basic or recommended file format for MS Excel, .xlsx. The one you gave me was in the older file format, .xls.

In your Excel file layout, some of the formatting in the sheet are only available IF and only IF you save the file as XLSX, not as XLS. Thus, Excel triggers a warning message which could have caused the blue screen that you mentioned about.

Please keep that XLSX file that I gave you and please try to save your files as XLSX in the future to avoid compatibility issues.

To save XLS files to XLSX for compatibility reasons, do these steps:
  1. Open Excel and load or open the XLS file
  2. Click on the MS Office Orb, then point to Sace As
  3. Then click on the first listed item: Excel Workbook. This is the default file format for MS Excel 2007
  4. Here is my screen shot:

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) once you have all the
information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it doesnt seem to be working still

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Stephen,

When you open the file that I gave you, is it still giving you a blue screen? Can you describe this blue screen further? Is there an error message in this blue screen? When you said it is a blue screen, are you saying that you need to restart the computer to get rid of the blue screen?

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it still gives a blue screen, the blue screen is where the data should be and none of the tools are highligted.

the only error message is the one that comes up when i go to open it saying therebwas a problem sending the command to the program

no i dont have to restart i just close the excel page

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Stephen,

Thank you for writing back. At this point, please do the following steps:
  1. Please close MS Excel
  2. Click on this link:

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9668700

3. To fix this problem automatically, click Run in the File Download dialog box, and follow the steps in the Fix it wizard. If there is no RUN command button, click on SAVE then double click on the saved or downloaded file to run the diagnostics and automatic repair using the FixIt tool.

Best regards,
Jess

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years