NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.
53509759

I have a Tagging problem. Searches (by section or entire notebook)

I have a Tagging problem. Searches (by section or entire notebook) do not show recent tags that I have created in the tag summary pane. If I search while on a specific page with that tag it will display in the tags summary. If I copy, delete and then re-paste that page the tag will display in a normal search. Likewise, if I close the file and reopen the tags will all display properly. I have tried deleting the cache file and letting it rebuild but it does not solve the problem. I have also uninstalled OneNote 2010 and re-installed and the problem persists? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  NewITZone replied 1 year ago.

NewITZone :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. This is Mahbub Shahin can assist you.
Please let me know when you will be ready?

Customer:

Ready.

NewITZone :

Ok. Do you have "Show only unchecked items" checked?

Customer:

No.

NewITZone :

Please make it check

Customer:

I'm optimizing the notebook cache file right now. Should I cancel that?

NewITZone :

Yes you can.

Customer:

Ok. "Show only unchecked items" is now checked.

NewITZone :

Now is it showing recent tags?

Customer:

No.

NewITZone :

Are you looking at the Tags Summary pane or Summary PAGE?

Customer:

Tags Summary pane. However, if I create a summary page from any page other than the one with the recent tag it does not show up on the summary page either.

NewITZone :

Ok. Please unchecked the "Only Unchecked items" again.

Customer:

Done.

NewITZone :

Do you have it set to only search one particular page or section when you were expecting a wider scope? What does it say under "Search" at the bottom of the Tags Summary pane?

unchecked the "Only Unchecked items"

NewITZone :

Sorry please ignore unchecked the "Only Unchecked items"

Customer:

I normally have it set to search "this section". Tags in those particular sections on certain pages are not populating the tags summary pane.

NewITZone :

Please make it all notebooks.

Customer:

I have a lot of tagged items but I have specifically done "all notebooks" searches and have the same issue. The problem tags will normally only show on a search started from the page in question.

NewITZone :

How many times ago the problem started?

Customer:

Let me amend my prior answer. Sometimes the problems tags will show on an "all notebooks" search or some other search such as a "page group", but now always.

Customer:

The problem started about 4 - 5 days ago.

Customer:

I recently updated to windows 8 (about 3 weeks ago) if that is relevant.

NewITZone :

Did you uninstalled only OneNote or full office?

Customer:

Only OneNote. I don't use full office but I have the Starter version installed.

NewITZone :

Oh.

NewITZone :

Please make sure OneNote is up to date.

Customer:

How do I do that. I install all updates as they show up. When I uninstalled OneNote and then reinstalled there were a number of updates that showed up in Update and they were installed.

NewITZone :

Click the Start button, click All Programs, and then click Windows Update

Customer:

Ok. FYI. One of the problem tags that I created when we first started chatting now shows up in a section search. We have been chatting about 30 minutes so it took it that long to start showing in search!?

Customer:

I checked and Windows Updates are current.

NewITZone :

Click on refresh result . I think it work slowly.

NewITZone :

When you click on refresh result it will search again.

Customer:

That's what I am saying. It took 20 - 30 minutes to show up on a refresh!!

NewITZone :

Oh.

NewITZone :

Please hold on.

Customer:

I may have been mistaken. It is still not showing up on a refresh unless I start the refresh from the page with the tag. I think I was on that page when I sent my prior message to you.

NewITZone :

Ok.

NewITZone :

Which version of Onenote you are using ? 32bit or 64 bit?

Customer:

I have a 64 bit computer but not sure which version of OneNote. How do I check?

Customer:

I just checked and the setup file says 32 bit.

NewITZone :

ok.

NewITZone :

Download and install it.

Customer:

what is it?

NewITZone :

It is an update.

NewITZone :

It fixes several issues.

NewITZone :

That includes one of your problem.

When you update search results in the Tags Summary pane, some tags are not displayed in the pane. This issue occurs after you switch between sections in a notebook in OneNote 2010.

Customer:

Ok.

Customer:

That update is already installed on my system.

NewITZone :

Please uninstall it and reinstall it again.

Customer:

Even though it says it is installed I can't seem to find it in my list of installed updates (KB2589345). Still looking.

NewITZone :

ok.

Customer:

It is not listed in my list of updates. Is it possible it is bundled in the service pack 1 which has no "KB" number?

NewITZone :

No it is not attached with SP1

Customer:

Well I have checked all installed updates and it is not listed but when I try to install it it says it is already installed??

NewITZone :

Actually the updates works on

• Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP

NewITZone :

I think it could be the problem.

Customer:

I have another computer on my network with Windows 7 and it is showing all tags properly, including the problem tags I created on my computer.

NewITZone :

You mean on this computer.

Customer:

Yes. The windows 7 computer with OneNote is working fine.

Customer:

Do you know when the 2013 version of OneNote will be released? Maybe that will resolve the problem.

NewITZone :

OneNote 2013 already released .

Customer:

I know Office 2013 is released but they are still listing OneNote 2010 on their products page for the stand-alone version.

NewITZone :

The OneNote app is available through the Windows Store to customers participating in the Windows 8 Release Preview.
Get the OneNote app.

Customer:

Is it beta?

NewITZone :

Yes.

Customer:

So, can you think of anything else to resolve my issue?

NewITZone :

Please hold on.

NewITZone :

I have one more question.

NewITZone :

Did you perform a system restore.

Customer:

Please explain.

NewITZone :

You can return back to the time when your OneNote works well on Win 8

Customer:

No.

NewITZone :

Was it works well on win 8?

Customer:

Is is in control panel?

Customer:

The only restore point listed is for yesterday. Won't help.

NewITZone :

oh.

Customer:

Any other suggestions?

NewITZone :

You can uninstall onenote completely by using recuva the reinstall it.

Customer:

what is recuva?

NewITZone :

After uninstall it through control panel the corrupt registry file some time still there.

NewITZone :

Recuva is a free uninstaller.

Customer:

Ok. Thanks for your help.

NewITZone :

Sorry the name of the software is revo

NewITZone :

Revo Uninstaller.

NewITZone :

You can download it from here as 30 days trail. http://www.revouninstaller.com/

NewITZone :

When you done uninstall it.

Customer:

Thanks.

NewITZone :

After complete the un-installation process you must perform a reboot.

Customer:

Ok.

NewITZone :

When you uninstall OneNote using revo it could ask for complete uninstall with registry key.

Customer:

And I should go with that to clean up the registry?

NewITZone :

Yes it will uninstall OneNote completely with registry entry.

Customer:

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

NewITZone :

After following those you can install a ffresh copy of OneNote.

NewITZone :

*fresh

NewITZone :

Hope it will resolve your problem.

Customer:

Thanks.

NewITZone :

Please, only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel to rate me as "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please reply me via REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have rather then rate me as "Poor Service" or "Bad Service",

I will not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If you think I have helped you with your problem, please give me a proper rating so that I can get paid for helping you.Bonus will be appreciable. Thank you

NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.