Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2010 will not connect to Exchange

Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2010 will not connect to Exchange 2010. I have moved over all the mailboxes to a new Exchange 2010 server, MX record is point to mail1, autodiscover is pointing to mail1 and pinging, ntstating correctly. OWA works correctly, so does send/receive mail via iphones, just not connecting Outlook client.
Hi there and welcome

What is the exact error that you receive and what connection settings do you use in outlook?

Also is this on the LAN or from outside the network you try to connect?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, the messagebox displays

"The connection to Microsoft exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected in order to complete this action"

This is on internal network

Thanks warren

And the Settings you use in outlook

tell me these please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just goes through the autoconfiguration. Finds mail1server, username. Brings up New Certificate (just using the exchange self signed at the moment till I get my godaddy one working, its configured for IMAP, POP, IIS, SMTP), ticks that one, goes to getting [email protected] settings, halts then comes up with the error message. Then brings up the mail window with server and username. When I click "Check" a messagebox comes up with "The name cannot be resoved. The connection to Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action"

If I try to manually set details, I go to more options under email settings, in the security it is set to Encrypt data between... and negotiate authentication

ok, with the username, use the domain as well so if the domain is

MyDomain

than

\\mydomain\username

Let me know how this goes please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Doesn't work, if I place \\domain\user into mailbox it comes up with the same error message "The name cannot be resolved..."

ok, I see the problem than

You are using a Self Sign certificate, and you are using RPC over HTTPS correct?

This needs a trusted certificate, else it will not connect to the Exchange server

Make a cheap one from GoDaddy or another trusted SSL supplier.

You cannot use the self signed one when using RPC over HTTPS

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there a way in which I can get Outlook to connect without using another SSL certificate?

No, has to be over https so must need certificate

Just get a cheap $7.95 one here

http://www.namecheap.com/ssl-certificates/comodo.aspx

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry it took so long, but it did not work, I created a new certificate with my godaddy account and the same error message is coming up informing me that the name cannot be resolved. The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action

Do I need to restart my server with the new ssl cert installed

first how did you install the certificate? where on IIS?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As per godaddy instructions, there were 2 certificates. intermediate and mail.domain one.

1. Opened up mmc, and installed IIS intermediate into intermediate authorities folder.

2. I created the CSR from Exchange 2010 and then completed the request, assigned IIS, POP, IMAP, SMTP services to cert.

Everything went through

give me the URL that runs the SSL please and I will check from here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes, but no SSL is on it

I get nothing on that address

Do you?

I do get a connection on http://mail.centacarecdpp.org.au

but not https

Did you configure SSL in IIS?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, just installed exchange 2010 in typical setting. Forgot to add /owa at the end of mail.centacarecdpp.org.au does that matter.

not OWA but IIS, as Outlook connects via IIS

configure mail.centacarecdpp.org.au in IIS to use the SSL certificate

Let me know when you have
wait, it just connected.

Must be incredible slow

Give me 5 min please

ok, follow the instructions here to setup outlook

http://www.it.ubc.ca/service_catalogue/email_calendaring/FAS/setupdocs/rpcoutlook2007

Follow them carefully and replace the Exchange server with your server (Step 11)

And your domain (step 15) as mail.centacarecdpp.org.au
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I get to step 12 it comes up with an error box informing me that

"Outlook cannot log on. Verifty that you are connected to the network and you are using a proper server and mailbox name. The connection to Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action"

thats ok, let it fail and continue as you have not yet set the Servers address in Step 15
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Outlook started but then came up with the error message listed above

restart the computer and open Outlook Warren

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How will I then connect to you so we can resolve and I can pay you?

You can return to this page please Warren (add it to your bookmarks / favorites) and post a message please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, no luck, when I load it comes up with server is unavailable - retry, work offline, cancel

ok, you have a setting wrong somewhere

On step 15, what values did you use for both the boxes?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, here is the latest, I got it working using the automatic logon BUT....

When it comes up with with server and username if I remove mail1 and put it 192.168.1.4 (which is my GC, DHCP in the same ad site) and then click on check username, it removes the IP address and puts mail1 and then loads up the email not a problem?

no, it is normal, this is just DNS and you want to do it this way.

Good to see it is now working.

If you have any other issues, please let me know

And please remember to Rate My Service

Thank you